Step by step how hook and set this Unit up Properly

Bcraig

Inspired
Hi all I want to Thank all so much so for helping me make the decision to get the Axe FX XL +

Now I am abit nervous and in my late 40's and donot want to damage this unit in any way

So guys I hope You donot mind if I ask for help here
and maybe this thread can help anyone out there that is just floored and yes Have look at the Manuel but overwhelmed

Now it is on the floor out of its box this is as far as I have gotten
Step by step how to hook up and set this Unit up Properly

Out of its box finally!
Step by step what next?

first thing I would do is put it in some kind of case to protect i. I use a Gator 2U rack bad and its pretty much perfect. Keep in mind if you want to use a seperate power amp you may want to get a larger case to accommodate that. I use active speakers, so 2U is all I really need.

past that, the only connections you need to make are the power cable in the back, the cable for the footcontroller if you have one, and the cables to your speaker/power amp.

I'd suggest first putting it on your desk, plugging in the AC power, a set of headphones and a guitar (in the front jack). Once you've verify it's working as expected, then figure out how you want to use it. There are many options, the easiest being powered full-range speakers.

For gigs, I have it in a Rack Bag case and use a Roland KC300 keyboard amp (I had it before getting the Axe and it works well. Using a stereo configuration in a live setting is often lost on the audience w/o proper planning):
  • Main out (L) to CH 2 input on the amp
  • MIDI in Connected to MIDI Out of my FCB1010 MIDI footpedal for realtime patch/effects control
  • guitar connected to front input

When I'm not gigging, It's in my home studio rack and connected to my recording system as follows:
  • Main outs to my small mixer (which connects to my powered studio monitors)
  • SPDIF out to the SPDIF in of my RME audion interface for recording
  • USB connected to my recording PC DAW for AXE/Edit
  • MIDI in Connected to MIDI Out of my FCB1010 MIDI footpedal for realtime patch/effects control
  • guitar connected to front input

Step 1) put the unit on a desk.
Step 2) find the power cord and plug one end into the unit and the end into a power outlet
Step 3) plug your guitar into the input on the front.
Step 4) plug some headphones into the headphone jack.
Step 5) turn down the output control
Step 6) turn on the power switch.

Let us know when you're ready for step 7

Thanks Guys much thanks to of Your great insight oh man I can't wait to get to this
But after I got home our car is not working I am bummed
so I will have to get to this unit later tomorrow and I will let you guys know very soon

Ok what s day I am glad is over

But I am glad here to try this thing out:)

Step 1) put the unit on a desk. Done
Step 2) find the power cord and plug one end into the unit and the end into a power outlet Done
Step 3) plug your guitar into the input on the front.Done
Step 4) plug some headphones into the headphone jack. Done
Step 5) turn down the output control Done
Step 6) turn on the power switch. Done
and I play through a bunch of Presets
Let us know when you're ready for step 7 Ready
what Step 7

Last edited:
Step 7 is learn. Find your way around the front interface (you'll thank yourself later) and Axe edit. Start tweaking a favorite preset (factory or head over to http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/ and try ones that others have come up with.) Find out what works for you (because it WILL not be the same for everyone). Create your own preset and make it your own.

Try Chris' excellent site for newbies: http://axefxtutorials.com/ Loads of video's and instructional's and valuable tips for getting started.

Use the wiki where there is an explanation or description of everything you'll ask about. http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON. Here or in Google, I can guarantee that every one of your questions has been asked and exhaustively answered several times...much faster than creating a thread each time you have a simple query. Ask away if you can't find an answer, we are always ready to help (but some effort to answer your own question is appreciated.)

Lastly: THERE IS NO *BEST*. No 'best way to run this', 'best amp for <insert style>', 'best cab for <insert amp>. Nothing *everyone* does to get good tone. As I stated before, what sounds good to you is the ONLY thing, and it will be different for everyone. This is the ultimate rig that is so enormously flexible you can run it in a myriad number of ways. Find yours.

Good luck, and welcome.

R

Thank You
Before I install any of the software and seems thier is 3 three to install

I wondering is there a certain Order that need to be installed?
And if so what should I install first?

Order does not matter (I assume you are talking about USB Drivers, Axe-Edit, Fractal Bot) just install, maybe reboot and you are good to go.

Just "discovered" Fractal FX myself and have no idea how to set up a rack mount system. This thread helps! I've always had either pedals or all my effects in my head, ie Vetta 2. I plan on selling that and getting a rack mount system. So, It sounds like I would need a case (like a Gator case) and a power amp to power it, (correct?) and a cabinet of some sort. Sound about right?

Back
Top Bottom