no more firmware updates for mark I/II :(

"this may be" -- note the "may" in there? You're speaking in absolutes when Fractal Audio has most definitely not.

I have not seen were it was said there will be no more firmware up dates. I under stand the fact to be that the boot rom in the MK units do not have much boot rom mem left.

"May be" is plenty enough to be disheartened about. It's really bad as bass players - which I understand guitarists will *never* understand our situation since they get so many great tools - since we've been asking, waiting and hoping for table scraps in terms of amps, cabs and FX. Now that we're finally getting a WHOPPING two new amps, we find out that the possibility for our units to be EOL is actually rather high.

Everyone seems to like to suggest "Sell the Mk 1 and Mk2's, and go buy an XL/XL+". Yeah, because so many of us have several hundred bucks laying around to do that.

I'll just keep playing bass. Using my Axe-Fx and most of my old pedal board since I can't recreate most of it anyway.

"May be" is plenty enough to be disheartened about. It's really bad as bass players - which I understand guitarists will *never* understand our situation since they get so many great tools - since we've been asking, waiting and hoping for table scraps in terms of amps, cabs and FX. Now that we're finally getting a WHOPPING two new amps, we find out that the possibility for our units to be EOL is actually rather high.

Everyone seems to like to suggest "Sell the Mk 1 and Mk2's, and go buy an XL/XL+". Yeah, because so many of us have several hundred bucks laying around to do that.

I'll just keep playing bass. Using my Axe-Fx and most of my old pedal board since I can't recreate most of it anyway.

Maybe a future " Bass only " firmware is possible?
I have no idea how this stuff works, just an idea.

Maybe a future " Bass only " firmware is possible?
I have no idea how this stuff works, just an idea.
I think that would require enough bass blocks (Amps, Cabs, FX) to justify. In the current state, even adding in the two upcoming amps, it's not even close enough to think about doing that. Also, since it's a shared code base, I doubt Cliff et. al. would want to form the repo and maintain another set "just" for bass players.

I think that would require enough bass blocks (Amps, Cabs, FX) to justify. In the current state, even adding in the two upcoming amps, it's not even close enough to think about doing that. Also, since it's a shared code base, I doubt Cliff et. al. would want to form the repo and maintain another set "just" for bass players.

FAS only needs one thing that they are lacking in order to indulge bassists more: the desire. Oh well, so be it.

FAS has a business model and a broader vision that doesn't really include bass, and they've always produced top-notch products. Really beautiful tech. I've always said that you should be able to get virtually any tone you want using the AxeFx, but the problem can be the number of hoops you have to jump through in order to get there, or even get CLOSE to there. @selta, you know all about this, too.

FAS only needs one thing that they are lacking in order to indulge bassists more: the desire. Oh well, so be it.

FAS has a business model and a broader vision that doesn't really include bass, and they've always produced top-notch products. Really beautiful tech. I've always said that you should be able to get virtually any tone you want using the AxeFx, but the problem can be the number of hoops you have to jump through in order to get there, or even get CLOSE to there. @selta, you know all about this, too.
Oh boy, don't I ever! I still help a good amount of bass players who are interested in Axe-Fx II / AX8 for their rigs, and the amount of time we have to spend just to replicate the tone they already had is pretty substantial. Then, working through everything to try and dial in something new... even more time.

Like you said, it boils down to desire and will to do something. FAS has neither when it comes to bass. Which, given their success with the focus on guitar, I don't blame them. Eventually, some company will fill that void, and they will get quite a lot of money from bass players if executed well.

Eventually, some company will fill that void, and they will get quite a lot of money from bass players if executed well.

Yeah. Still waiting for that to happen. I have more gripes with bass product developers cracking the speaker emulation aspects of direct bass tone, and just do that ONE aspect at the highest levels possible. For some reason this seems evasive at the moment. I suspect they have more of a vested interest in perpetuating traditional bass rigs: "we do it this way because this is the way we've always done it".

I may not know on a technical level how to achieve "it" in terms of modeling code and such, but I damn well know "it" when I hear "it". To date, there's some modeling gear that circles all around "it", but they don't ever quite reach "it". So many demos sound really nice, but in the end I'm left with the conclusion that it has to do more with the quality of the bass instrument itself and the skill of the bassist more than the overall "effect" of the modeler/preamp/fx being demo'd.

I do like my heavies as much as anyone else, but it seems to me you could record 4 tracks of bird droppings and with enough channel splitting, plug-ins, frequency dependent distortion, and multi-band compression, you could achieve what passes today for a "good" bass sound. So many of these bass tones tend to all sound the same and be largely devoid of any "tone" that you could point to. I apologize as I know I'm making gross generalizations here...frustrated.

There are lots of ways to satisfy the varying needs of front end preamping and effects, both simple and complex in design and capabilities, but IMO the true character of the final tone is largely due to the cabinet itself. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom