Bass FoH/Real Amp Options

BrownNote71

Inspired
I'm hoping I could get your opinion.

With my guitar patches, I either go 100% direct (maybe with a QSC K10 for FRFR monitor) or I use an amp block and split the chain post-amp so an IR goes to FoH and a non-IR signal goes to my Matrix power amp into a real guitar cab for on-stage monitoring & "looks." I have IRs of the cabs I use on stage and I've been happy with that option.

For bass, I've only used the AX-8 going 100% direct to PA with full amp + cab blocks (sunday morning gigs for example).

For my latest bass project (Jane's Addiction tribute), I'm going to be playing primarily through an Ampeg V4B w/810 cab. I've been using a traditional pedalboard for effects. The V4B has a DI out but I haven't used it so can't speak to its quality - but there's no cab modeling and it's tapped pre-poweramp.

I'm thinking that for this project, I may try going replacing the pedals with the AX8 and splitting the chain after the effects and going effects-out to the V4B and then providing a full amp+cab chain (w/SVT model and 810IR) to the FoH. Has anyone done this?

Is it worth it vs. just using the DI out on the amp head and no cab modeling to FoH? I don't run any effects in the loop.

My next show is at a music venue (High Dive Seattle) that provides a good PA - and evidently a competent sound guy.

Cheers,
Mike

I don't know the AX8, but the AxeFx II has stereo cab blocks. Couldn't you just load the 810 IR into e.g. the left side of the amp block and run that to FOH, and let the right side be a null cabinet and run that to you amp?

The DI on the V4B is pretty OK, but nothing to write home about. You're correct that it's post-pre, so you don't get any of the output section's lushness. Which may or may not be a bad thing. I'm assuming you went with a V4B to be able to drive those output tubes harder than you could with an SVT, while not getting a ton of volume :p

The easiest way I can think of doing what you want is setup you signal chain with all of your FX blocks how you want. Near the end of that, have a split off for the Amp + Cab blocks, and send those out FX SND (Out 2). Give FOH your Out2, and your V4B Out1.

Let me know when you're playing the High Dive. I go there somewhat often, and just hosted my annual bass player get together there a couple of months ago. Cool little place for sure, though I always hate parking in Fremont. Those back stairs are kind of shit for load in/out, too.

I think given all the moving pieces I've got to deal with for this next show that I'm going to stick with analog pedalboard > V-4B > Direct Out along with an RE20 mic on the 810 cab. The show is Wednesday August 24th and I didn't get a chance to get the AX8 patches built before our final rehearsal.

I missed the bass get-together because I was travelling out of the country, but if you put together another one I will definitely attend!

After this show I'll set up my AX8 to try to replicate the V-4B sound along with the IRs I have. It will be nice to be able to have totally flexibility to go amp only, FoH only, or a mix! I just wasn't sure what I need to consider for phasing effects.

I started off as a guitar player 20 years ago who ended up picking up bass and making it my main instrument 7 years ago. When I'm practicing at home (or recording covers/writing), I'm doing something similar to you. My AX8 is run to my audio interface out of the main input and also to the fx return on my little GK MB500, which goes into a GK 210. The signal that feeds the GK is peeled off between the amp and cab block with the fx loop. And I get a full range with cab signal going into my audio interface.

What Selta mentioned should work great in your case - just insert the fx loop block before the amp and send that signal to your V4B (which I also have and sounds great). I've been dying to use my AX8 directly into a power amp feeding an 810... hopefully I will get a chance to at some point.

Back
Top Bottom