Cab pack user reviews

@lqdsnddist is absolutely right. For example I know people who swear by Cab Pack 16 and say nothing comes even close in the depth and attack. Still many people have not even tried those out because the brand may be unfamiliar to them or they think smaller cabs will not sound as good as 4x12 cabs. In the end I think most people buy the packs based on the reputation of the real life counterparts. Personally I happen to think the Citrus 4x12 in Cab Pack 19 is still one of the best cabs I've ever shot, but I still don't see people raving about it. Maybe the rating system might give more attention to these or maybe it will only emphasize what's already happening.

I like the audio sample idea but even these samples are kind of not the best full representations of what certain packs are capable of. A clip will only use one IR or one IR mix but most packs include hundreds of IR's. Also different cabs have different strengths. For example I wouldn't play the same riff through Cab Pack 15 (Fender) and Cab Pack 12 (EVH 4x12). :)

I can't see how a rating system is any different than asking for recommendations on the forum? Won't the forum replies be similar to the ratings?

At least with a rating system it would be organized and close to the product.

Not convinced I'm going to buy /not buy a cab pack based on a star rating of someone else. I'll consider it based on what I need, or the information in a demo, like the ones Mikko puts together, or the folks at ownhammer.

Not convinced I'm going to buy /not buy a cab pack based on a star rating of someone else. I'll consider it based on what I need, or the information in a demo, like the ones Mikko puts together, or the folks at ownhammer.
Exactly. There's a reason we create these sound samples. It's about letting people know what kind of tones to expect. I never post process my guitars so what ever you hear in my clips is exactly what you get from the packs.

Yeah and trustworthy ratings would require things not to be anonymous etc. It's actually not an easy task after all.

Indeed it is not. When there is a few either 5 star or 1 star reviews and they all come from users who just signed up, it really throws the validity of the process totally off, as well as the overall average of the ratings.

As mentioned previously, just because others love something doesn't mean that another person is going to have the same opinion. If they don't, how do you even rank something ? Do you give it 3 stars even if you hate it just because its still a good product, or if its something you get no use out of do you rate is very poorly to reflect that, realizing it might scare others away from the product.

Mikko for example has produced some stuff I absolutely don't like, and don't use, but does that mean its not a good product someone else might like ? Of course not.

No ML, or Fractal cab pack actually is "bad", but they might not be subjectively to a given person's taste. They are all very well produced top quality products, but how do you account for taste ?

At the very least having the audio clips people post be linkable to cab pack description page would be useful. Part of the issue I face is that people ask me for clips when I have already posted as many as some other cab packs have, but people seem to have difficulty finding them.

At the very least having the audio clips people post be linkable to cab pack description page would be useful. Part of the issue I face is that people ask me for clips when I have already posted as many as some other cab packs have, but people seem to have difficulty finding them.

Problem with anything linked is that once the hosted content changes/is removed, then you have links going to nothing. I think a better solution would to have the content hosted on the Fractal site, though then an issue arises of if just any end user could upload sound files ? Don't want the user "review" to turn into people just trying to feature their music etc.

I think what could work very well, and prove very useful, would be having one set of "reference" audio clips that are used on some representative samples from each cab pack.

Have one clip with something like a clean Fender type tone with a strat playing a given riff, and you can hear how the different cab packs sounds differ. Have one clip with a dirty amp and a LP, etc etc.

If one reference set of audio tracks is used it would make it fairly easy to take a listen to any new packs that come out and get an idea of how they sound and directly compare them to previous cab packs. It would remove as many variables as possible from the equation, since we'd have same riffs, same player, same guitars, same amps, only thing that would change is the IR loaded for each clip.

"Problem" currently with user clips is that someone posts some clips for a given style of music that sound good but we can't compare that to a different cab pack, because the clips from a different user, who's got a different guitar, amp, pickups etc also sound good, but obviously different. Too many variables. Leaves the question of if the one cab pack sounds "better" than the other because of the guitar, amp choice, playing ability and such, or if it comes down to just the IR. Makes sense right ?

I don't want to hear just the differences in the mic choices in Cab Pack 7, I'd want the ability to say "okay, those tones sound good, but let's hear those riffs played using Cab Pack 8 and Cab Pack 16 as well"

In some instances I'm sure the results could sound "bad". Maybe a given Cab Pack doesn't work too well for a certain style of music, but, that actually would be a GOOD THING, because its still a result, and can help with making a choice.

I know that when I make a decision I don't always try to find just the options I like, instead, I often try to find the ones I don't like and cross them off the list. Working backwards to finding what I should buy to suit my needs essentially. This is exactly how I audition IR's I purchase. I set up the looper and play a given style of music and go through a folder, taking out the ones I really don't like right off the bat, then narrow down the choices I do like to a few favorites for a given style. Then I am left with a smaller folder of "go to" IR choices for a given style of music, say an edge of break-up lead tone. I don't want to have 2000 IR's to have to select from every time I make a new patch. I want a folder of say, 10 different ones.

By using the same set of reference clips, it would simply present the tones as they are. It wouldn't be an issue of trying to select a certain style of music, amp, guitarist etc to "market" that cab pack, it would simply be impartially presented the product on equal footing with all the other products.

I am sad
every cab pack is bad

I'm in the gloom
there's no amp in the room

Today I give 2 out of 5
tomorrow is another day hey 4 out of 5 toasts

Problem with anything linked is that once the hosted content changes/is removed, then you have links going to nothing. I think a better solution would to have the content hosted on the Fractal site, though then an issue arises of if just any end user could upload sound files ? Don't want the user "review" to turn into people just trying to feature their music etc.

I think what could work very well, and prove very useful, would be having one set of "reference" audio clips that are used on some representative samples from each cab pack.

Have one clip with something like a clean Fender type tone with a strat playing a given riff, and you can hear how the different cab packs sounds differ. Have one clip with a dirty amp and a LP, etc etc.

If one reference set of audio tracks is used it would make it fairly easy to take a listen to any new packs that come out and get an idea of how they sound and directly compare them to previous cab packs. It would remove as many variables as possible from the equation, since we'd have same riffs, same player, same guitars, same amps, only thing that would change is the IR loaded for each clip.

"Problem" currently with user clips is that someone posts some clips for a given style of music that sound good but we can't compare that to a different cab pack, because the clips from a different user, who's got a different guitar, amp, pickups etc also sound good, but obviously different. Too many variables. Leaves the question of if the one cab pack sounds "better" than the other because of the guitar, amp choice, playing ability and such, or if it comes down to just the IR. Makes sense right ?

I don't want to hear just the differences in the mic choices in Cab Pack 7, I'd want the ability to say "okay, those tones sound good, but let's hear those riffs played using Cab Pack 8 and Cab Pack 16 as well"

In some instances I'm sure the results could sound "bad". Maybe a given Cab Pack doesn't work too well for a certain style of music, but, that actually would be a GOOD THING, because its still a result, and can help with making a choice.

I know that when I make a decision I don't always try to find just the options I like, instead, I often try to find the ones I don't like and cross them off the list. Working backwards to finding what I should buy to suit my needs essentially. This is exactly how I audition IR's I purchase. I set up the looper and play a given style of music and go through a folder, taking out the ones I really don't like right off the bat, then narrow down the choices I do like to a few favorites for a given style. Then I am left with a smaller folder of "go to" IR choices for a given style of music, say an edge of break-up lead tone. I don't want to have 2000 IR's to have to select from every time I make a new patch. I want a folder of say, 10 different ones.

By using the same set of reference clips, it would simply present the tones as they are. It wouldn't be an issue of trying to select a certain style of music, amp, guitarist etc to "market" that cab pack, it would simply be impartially presented the product on equal footing with all the other products.
I agree with most of this, although for the bass cab packs, using a Fender or LP guitar tone would not be what bassists want to hear. That would start a bit of a flame war as you have your Fender, Gibson, Dingwall, Lakland, Spector, Fodera, Alembic, Rickenbacker, Wal, et al fans all clamoring for their basses to be the example.

In which case it would make sense to use a couple of different "representative" bass guitars for bass cab packs.

Not going to be perfect having for example a P, J, MM and maybe a Rickenbacker but it would give a pretty good overall impression for a majority of players. At any rate, having 4 different "main stream" samples would better serve a greater number of potential buyers than hoping that someone makes a specific clip that just so happens to be of the exact same bass as the potential buyer would use.

Back
Top Bottom