Added my universal bass preset to AxeChange.

DLM

Power User
I've had a few people ask me to upload the bass preset I use to AxeChange, so I finally did it if anyone's interested.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4299

The notes are just a jumble of text because it doesn't allow line breaks in the description, but everything's in there. This preset is what I've been using for ages. It was made on a Mark I with Q3.02. I play everything from jazz to hard rock, so I'm able to get all of those tones from it. It works for me and what I use it for, but YMMV.

Note: There was an issue with my original upload of the preset. The WAH block was set to a level of 8. It was supposed to be 0, so I fixed it, deleted the original upload and re-added the fixed preset. If you've already downloaded it, just set the level on the WAH block to 0 and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Thanks DML! Really liking your approach with the filters and no cabs. I play thru an Ampeg SVT 810 Heritage and I used your preset with cabinet modeling off. Sounds killer!!

Thanks DML! Really liking your approach with the filters and no cabs. I play thru an Ampeg SVT 810 Heritage and I used your preset with cabinet modeling off. Sounds killer!!

Thanks, glad to hear it's working well for you. :)

Just tried your preset with the 3 Sigma Ampeg 810 IRs. I only have the second filter engaged.
REALLY loving your preset now. This is the most satisfied that I've ever been with my bass tone using the Axe-FX!

Thanks again!!

Reactions: DLM
Just tried your preset with the 3 Sigma Ampeg 810 IRs. I only have the second filter engaged.
REALLY loving your preset now. This is the most satisfied that I've ever been with my bass tone using the Axe-FX!

Thanks again!!

Thanks man, that's great to hear. You only need one filter or the other engaged at any given time. The first one in the chain will negate the second because the roll off is set to a way lower frequency. 1st = Mellow, 2nd = Bright. Also, if you use the WAH, don't forget to set the level in the WAH block down to 0. I had it set too high when I uploaded the preset originally.

Thanks man, that's great to hear. You only need one filter or the other engaged at any given time. The first one in the chain will negate the second because the roll off is set to a way lower frequency. 1st = Mellow, 2nd = Bright. Also, if you use the WAH, don't forget to set the level in the WAH block down to 0. I had it set too high when I uploaded the preset originally.
Good to know. I'll have to try the wah. I have yet to get it to where it's usable for bass.

I'll have to try the wah. I have yet to get it to where it's usable for bass.

The wah block parameters are definitely not tuned by FAS to indulge the sweet spot operating range for bass guitar. In the past, I've added a parallel stream filter block that is set to engage a frequency sweep along with the wah, with a narrow Q, and to enhance the low frequency range that isn't well-addressed in the wah block. Not ideal, but it can help.

Well I don't have an expression pedal. I still need to get one at some point, so I have the WAH set to LFO. I don't use it on its own. The only time I use the WAH is in combination with the phaser, and either the multi-tap delay or the delay and reverb blocks, like it says in the write up on AxeChange.

WAH+PHR+MTD

WAH+PHR+DLY+RVB

Either one will work. Not sure how they'd sound with an expression pedal controlling the wah, but those combinations work quite well when you have the wah locked to the LFO.

I used to have a rotary speaker block in there after the wah, which made the effect kinda cool too, but when I swapped out the ring modulator block for the formant filter since I couldn't really see a use for the ring modulator, it pushed the CPU over the limit just slightly, so I had to drop the rotary block. The synth block isn't really necessary either, but I left it in there for anyone who wants to play with it. If you want to drop the synth block and then swap back in the rotary block after the wah, that would work.

Congrats on the new bass! I just got a Fender American Elite Jazz bass and I'm totally in love with it.

Your Fender bass is very nice bass and I think also quite light and not heavy, of course parts and woods are exellent in your Fender bass.

I bought that Markus Miller bass cause I´m guitar player and wanted bass and didn´t want to put too much money, but I have to say that this Markus Miller is much better than price shows. If one day I´m good bass player, I probably want than kind Fender bass too but first I have to be much better player to own such a nice bass ;D

Your Fender bass is very nice bass and I think also quite light and not heavy, of course parts and woods are exellent in your Fender bass.

I bought that Markus Miller bass cause I´m guitar player and wanted bass and didn´t want to put too much money, but I have to say that this Markus Miller is much better than price shows. If one day I´m good bass player, I probably want than kind Fender bass too but first I have to be much better player to own such a nice bass ;D

It's actually the heaviest bass I own. It's even heavier than my Fender P-Bass. I've heard a lot of good things about the Markus Miller bass. You picked a really nice one to start out with. :)

Back
Top Bottom