Is it possible to turn the pre-amp sim off?

itchyman

So that I only have power amp and cab sims. I've been toying with running from the preamp of a real guitar amp into the axe fx, and then only using the power amp and cab sims.

Tried the tube pre, still too colored to be a good tube power amp sim IMO as you can't defeat the tonestack.

The Two Notes Torpedo CAB has good tube power amp sims, and great real-time adjustable cab sims, IR Loader, room sim/reverb, and EQ, IR Capture/Mix software, plus a software editor. You also get the WOSIII plugin as well.

I use the Torpedo CAB with my tube preamps and a Axe Ultra for FX.

Not my experience Yek as any passive tonestack is anything but flat at all settings?

I would've loved for the Axe to be able to do it but if you compare the Axe with the vintage tonestack to say the Two Notes Torpedo's or Peavey's ReValver's tube power amp sims you'll hear a huge difference (remembering that tube power amps do not have tonestacks etc).

Tube Pre uses the Vintage tonestack which is flat when the tone controls are at noon. source

Not my experience Yek as any passive tonestack is anything but flat at all settings?

I would've loved for the Axe to be able to do it but if you compare the Axe with the vintage tonestack to say the Two Notes Torpedo's or Peavey's ReValver's tube power amp sims you'll hear a huge difference (remembering that tube power amps do not have tonestacks etc).
It may not be perfect compared to products specifically designed to support what the OP is trying to do but it is cartainly your best option with the Axe. You have filters, many types of EQ, and ears to compensate for anything in the frequency response that is non-flat. While I got rid of my tube preamps when I went Fractal, I would not hesitate to use the Axe as a power amp sim using the tube pre a cab block and a parametric EQ block or two, if I had this need and I'm confident it could yield excellent results even if it is not a turn key solution.

Also, the source cited is Cliff. So I assume he knows for certain how the Vintage tone stack as implemented in the AxeFx behaves. Even if it is not exactly neutral it would have to be close enough to get there with all the tools the Axe provides if you are willing to put in the effort.

All IMHO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom