Recommend a 7-String For P&W!

Don't overlook a baritone. The Reverend Descent series sounds like something that could work for you. Tuned to B standard from the factory and get rave reviews. After hearing the reviews, I ended up purchasing a set of the P90-type pickups they use, Railhammer Nuevo 90's, for my PRS. Very thick, huge sounding pickups for a P90 with plenty of bite. Their humbuckers sound great as well.

I have Schecter Hellraisers, Banshee's, Tempests, and Solo II Customs.

Bases on what you're looking for I'd recommend the Banshee Elite line.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/banshee-elite

I have the Elite 7 FR/S and love it.

You made me like this guitar in 15 seconds...Now I suddenly have GAS and I thought I had everything I need. I have the model with passive pickups, without FR in mind.

May I please ask you to describe the guitar and it's tone compared to your other guitars? How versatile is it? Why do you find it so special? Do you have sustaniac version?

Thanks.

You made me like this guitar in 15 seconds...Now I suddenly have GAS and I thought I had everything I need. I have the model with passive pickups, without FR in mind.

May I please ask you to describe the guitar and it's tone compared to your other guitars? How versatile is it? Why do you find it so special? Do you have sustaniac version?

Thanks.
I have the 7FR/S (Floyd with Sustaniac). It's one of the most comfortable and easy to play (out of the box) guitars I've ever had. My Hellraisers are pure metal. My Tempest and Solo II are great for all sorts of styles from country, to hard rock, to blues. The Banshee falls right in the middle for me, which is why it feels so versatile. The passive Mach 7 pup provides good crunch, but great cleans as well. The push/pull coil tap adds to that versatility.

The Sustaniac is just out of this world. It has 3 different modes which raise the possibilities to an entirely new level.

The Banshee is my main guitar these days. It gets more playtime than any of the rest, but I still love ALL of my Schecters. Best bang-for-your-buck guitars out there in my opinion.

UpdatedGuitarWall.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 7FR/S (Floyd with Sustaniac). It's one of the most comfortable and easy to play (out of the box) guitars I've ever had. My Hellraisers are pure metal. My Tempest and Solo II are great for all sorts of styles from country, to hard rock, to blues. The Banshee falls right in the middle for me, which is why it feels so versatile. The passive Mach 7 pup provides good crunch, but great cleans as well. The push/pull coil tap adds to that versatility.

The Sustaniac is just out of this world. It has 3 different modes which raise the possibilities to an entirely new level.

The Banshee is my main guitar these days. It gets more playtime than any of the rest, but I still love ALL of my Schecters. Best bang-for-your-buck guitars out there in my opinion.

UpdatedGuitarWall.jpg

Thanks for the quick response and for the pics. You have an impressive collection. Your description pushed me now some more in the purchasing direction, we'll see....

Cheers.

I use an Ibanez RG7421PB Flat Sapphire Blue and I really like that it has a 5way pickup selector, so I can get a lot of different tones.

I have many 7 String guitars for sale. PM me if interested in any. I'm looking to sell for 50% of new price. I'm located in Rochester, NY 14609 USA. I'm selling a ton of gear because I want to buy a zero turn lawn mower, so I can mow my lawn faster, so I can play guitar more haha
  1. Epiphone Les Paul Classic Sunburst
  2. Epiphone Les Paul Classic Sunburst
  3. Epiphone Les Paul Classic Transparent Black - EMG 81-7 and EMG 707
  4. Epiphone Les Paul Classic Transparent Black
  5. Epiphone Flying V Black
  6. Epiphone Flying V Black
  7. Epiphone Flying V Black
  8. ESP LTD H-207 Transparent Black
  9. ESP LTD H-207 Transparent Red
  10. ESP LTD H-207 Transparent Green
  11. DEAN ML Metallic Gray
  12. Schecter Jazz 7 Sunburst

I also have some 7 String Pickups for sale. I think I still have the ones below:
  • Seymour Duncan - Invader - SH-8b 7s Bridge
  • Seymour Duncan - 59 Neck - SH-1n 7
  • Seymour Duncan - Duncan Custom - SH-5 7 Bridge
  • Dimarzio - Evolution 7 - DP704 Black Bridge

/drool

Whatcha asking for that one? Any pics?

I can take some pics but if you do a Google search for Schecter Jazz 7, you'll see a ton of pics. I just sold my Red one but still have the Sunburst with it's hard case. I think I removed the pick guard but I should have it somewhere. I want $550 + Insured Shipping for it because that one and my ESP LTD H-207 Transparent Green are my favorite looking 7 string guitars. The Jazz 7 has tone knobs that you can pull up to coil tap. It sounds amazing having the pickup selector in the middle with both humbuckers set to single coils.

I have a bad back, so I pretty much only play my Ibanez guitars. I didn't like Ibanez guitars for the longest time because I thought they didn't have any feeling and sounded lifeless but then I realized I liked heavy guitars because I can get wider vibrato and bends because the weight of the body keeps the guitar still but light guitars move as I vibrato or bend.

Late to the party, but...

(1) Mayones Regius 7... yes, it's a "metal" guitar, but you throw some nice PAF clones in there and it'll sound like the world's greatest Les Paul with an extended range.

(2) Suhr Modern HSH, kind of the same as above, well maybe a little more traditional... think of it as the shreddy fusion version of the above.

what is your budget? first thought is a Music Man 7 string. There are many models out there. My favorite was the one that had a chambered body and a 5 way switch instead of a 3 way. If those are too Pricy. Then I would say hands down a Sterling by music man is in order. They are more affordable and are great quality. If need be a pup swap and you are ready to go. If you are more of a boutique guitar player like some of is then you want a Tom Anderson 7 string.

I am a believer in Schecter......
I have to agree. I have 3 Schecter 7-strings; an 8-string and the 9-string Hellraiser. I love them all with clean settings and work up to full metal screams. My "connection" is actually an eBay seller who gets a lots of Schecter seconds that I can't find the defects in! Every one I've bought gets here quick; the last one (KM-7 MkII) arrived the day AFTER I bought it with FREE shipping. Check them if you are still looking ..... Gear Orphanage .... http://tinyurl.com/z4fj3kk

Last edited:
I've had my Schecter KM-7 MK II since February and I'm still in love. I mostly play metal, rock, and blues (and try to fake some country every now and then). It delivers on all fronts for me. It's very comfortable, sounds great, stays in tune (NYXL strings help), and is an absolute beauty on top of that. Just like my Axe-FX, every day after I come home from work, I'm glad to see it. :)

I guess the only thing that point I'd raise is that the 26.5" scale might not be for everyone. I wear medium size gloves, but it's very comfortable for me and makes the upper register feel less cramped. It does make picking up a 24.75" scale guitar seem like I'm playing a Fischer Price toy though! :p

I'm hoping next year Schecter releases a version in transparent blue, because I'll definitely be picking up a six string version to replace my 11 year old C1 Blackjack as my main six string.

What I don't need is a one-trick pony metal machine guitar; I have to clean it up at times. So something with a sweet, modern clean tone would be cool. I listen to bands like The Letter Black, Paramore, Red, Flyleaf, etc. Tones like those - maybe dialed back a bit for loud live use - are what I'm after.
My recommendation first and foremost would be for alnico pickups instead of ceramic. With that being said, this would be the guitar that I'd recommend. Don't let the price fool you. These are excellent guitars. I think that will do what you want and be versatile. Check it out here: http://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_Sentinal727_MN_TigerEye.html

If you prefer a more standard scale length, then I recommend this one. It's basically the same thing, but in a 25" scale length. http://www.rondomusic.com/sentinel725natashhss.html

Thanks to all who made a recommendation in this thread! I ended up with a Schecter Banshee Elite 7 FR S and couldn't be happier! Thanks especially to EJ James! I can't stop playing this thing. I was jamming with some YouTube blues jam tracks and it sounded great. I played it Sunday at church and it sounded great for P&W! Don't get me wrong; you aren't going to get a Strat "quack" out of it, but the neck and mid positions sound really nice clean. Frankly, I can dial in a clean/semi-clean easier on this guitar than on my Les Paul or Strat (just stay away from the bridge only position, which is very mid-rangy in comparison).

What I really love is the ability to "go low" with C and D power chords. I am definitely hooked on 7 strings. Hmmm, now what about 8???

I love my EBMM JPXI-7 (and there are rumors of an 8 string model sometime in 2017). I've had hit or miss luck with EBMM. The design, specs, and sound are perfect in my opinion, but their quality control needs serious improvement based on my own experiences. If you are ever thinking of getting one, I'd recommend finding one in a shop and playing it first. Worth the money if you find a pristine one.

I bought a PRS SE series 7 string about a year ago. For the money it's killer. I think I paid $650 for it out the door new. I'm sure there are better options for more cash, but for that price it's a great guitar.

I'm selling a gorgeous Ibanez j. Custom 20127. $2800 OBO. No trades, and please no low ball offers. PM if you're interested.

01.png

This guitar is in like new condition - there is not a flaw on it. It's been kept in a case (in a humidity controlled room) for the majority of its life. It comes with:
  • original j. Custom hard shell case
  • black/purple protective cloth
  • certificate of authenticity
  • original accessories and papers
  • and a book on the history of Ibanez.
I upgraded the electronics on the guitar. I swapped the PAF7s that came in the guitar for a matched set of the clearer and more modern sounding Bare Knuckle Juggernauts (Misha Mansoor of Periphery's custom pickups). I also swapped the pickup selector switch with a DiMarzio 3 way switch and have the pickups wired in the Petrucci style (bridge, middle coils, neck). Beyond this, both pots are push pull. One splits the pickups into single coils. The other switches between series and parallel for the neck pickup. With these upgrades, the tonal range is endless!

The workmanship on the Ibanez j. Customs is in a league of its own. This guitar is from an extremely limited run. Only 30 exist and they originally sold for around $4000! Check out the pictures, it is beautiful. I hardly played this guitar. It is was recently intonated and setup with very playable, low action.

Here's more on the guitar:
  • A beautiful Ibanez 7-string J-Custom model based on the popular RG8527, meticulously handcrafted by selected master builders at the Japanese Ibanez Custom Shop. An instrument with absolutely professional features and an outstanding price-quality relation.
  • This special edition was only available in a limited quantity of three guitars! It can be safely supposed that the most of these guitars were already sold by pre-order and will not be put on free sale.
  • Finish: Brown Garnet Shadow with Cosmo Black hardware.
  • Body: African mahogany (40mm), with a beautiful 4mm flamed maple top in AAA quality.
  • Neck: Maple / walnut, 5-piece RG j.custom, with KTS titanium reinforcement. Bolt-on neck construction - this enables a fast, precise attack response while retaining a full, "fat" tone.
  • Scale: 25.5" - Standard.
  • Fretboard: Selected rosewood with flamed maple binding. With "Wine" inlay - a very classy looking instrument!
  • Frets: 24, Jumbo - with a perfect fret job, another famous feature of Ibanez instruments.
  • Nut: FR-style locking.
  • Headstock: Ibanez RG-style - matching the body finish.
  • Bridge: Orig. Ibanez Edge Zero locking tremolo with Ibanez ZPS3 - the ultimate form of the Ibanez Edge locking tremolo comes with unique features, such as the built-in intonation adjustment tool and the arm-holder adjustment screw. The Ibanez ZPS3 (Zero Point System) made of Duralumin prevents the typical tuning problems of a locking tremolo system. By easy uninstallation, a floating setup is possible.
  • Pickups: the guitar originally came with 2x DiMarzio PAF-7 humbuckers. I wanted more clarity, so I swapped them out for a matched pair of Bare Knuckle Juggernauts. I still have the original PAFs and will sell them for an additional $100.
  • Electronics: I modified the electronics to offer a far wider range of tonal possibilities. I put in a DiMarzio 3-way switch with the Petrucci wiring (bridge, inner two coils, neck). Both pots are push-pull. One splits the coils of the pickups. The other changes the pickups from series to parallel.
  • Excellent quality of selected woods, craftsmanship, handling, and sound!
  • The guitar comes in an original Ibanez "Team J. Craft" form fit case, with Certificate of Authenticity & factory accessories.
I have 100% positive feedback both here and on eBay (see 8stringwizard). If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

No trades and please, no low-ball offers.

Back
Top Bottom