CPU limits

redbud

Inspired
So I have sold my axe 2 and will be receiving an ax8 in a few days. my concerns are cup limit in the axe 8. Can I run a standard signal chain of effects like a volume/wah expression pedal, drive, chorus, phase, flanger, delay, reverb, amp, and cab in a single patch without issue?
Thanks

Yes, that's pretty much the same layout I use for most of my patches. But when I tried to add a second drive pedal to that layout, I get CPU overload.

So I have sold my axe 2 and will be receiving an ax8 in a few days. my concerns are cup limit in the axe 8. Can I run a standard signal chain of effects like a volume/wah expression pedal, drive, chorus, phase, flanger, delay, reverb, amp, and cab in a single patch without issue?
Thanks

Good luck, I'm sending my AXE8 back, glad I didn't put an ad up for FX II before I gave it a test drive.

Thanks

I just set up a preset using all default values with the signal chain you have listed. I'm at 77% CPU.

I added two GEQ blocks (for routing purposes only to bypass the wah in one scene) and a filter block for a 3db boost. I'm now at 81%. If you can get away with a spring reverb, that takes it down to 66% so I added a Multi-Tap delay and a Rotary. Now I'm back to 80%. Not content with that, I went to the cab block and changed to to a stereo Ultra/res cab block and selected two ultra-res cabs. I'm at 89% now.

I think you'll be fine, but keep in mind that changing some of the settings in my test preset will increase CPU and take me over the edge. I'm right on the edge at 89%.

Last edited:
thanks. i don't need a lot of stuff in a preset anyway.

Exactly. I would never put a chorus, flanger, and phaser in the same preset. But I'm not a big FX user...

The real CPU eaters are the drive block and the reverb block.

is there a way to copy an effect block from another preset like the axe2 and ultra?

Yes, at least in AX8-Edit. I don't know about from the face of the unit.

I find the AX8 to be harder to edit on the hardware than I did the AxeII. That's one area I was disappointed. FAS did not improve the editing experience from the face of the unit over the AxeII, IMO. I do all my editing with the editor and I did not use to do that with the AxeII.

Exactly. I would never put a chorus, flanger, and phaser in the same preset. But I'm not a big FX user...
Neither would I normally however I do with the AX8 because I use them individually in scenes... it's a better work flow for me than creating separate presets with said fx.

Thanks

I use a chain like this (minus the drive) in my general-purpose presets. With this chain I'd start with the reverb set to one of the spring types. The drive, chorus, phase, and flanger types vary in cpu usage as well so you may need to use the lower-cpu types. Once you have all of your effects in there, check your cpu and then decide if you want to try a higher-cpu version of your effects. For instance, I like spring reverb and use it for a lot of my presets anyway. But I experimented with using the studio reverb with normal res. The cpu was on 89. But if I lowered the echo density to 2 it cut the cpu usage to around 82. So there are ways to get what you want, though you may have to prioritize things more than you would with an Axe II.

Chris at http://axefxtutorials.com/ has a chart of cpu usage for each effect on the AX8, as well as some other info that you might be interested in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom