What amp model do you like for U2, other than the obvious Vox choices?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Trying to narrow down choices, that and I'm not sure what other models are based off the Vox amps. Thanks for guidance.

when you say "obvious Vox choices" does that only mean the "Class-A" amps in the Axe? did you try the AC-20 amps (which are Morgan amps)?

is there a reason you're looking for something other than the "obvious" choices? missing chime or something? or are you just looking for similar amps to the AC-30? i think we can get you the "right" amp if we know what's missing or what you're seeking specifically.

when you say "obvious Vox choices" does that only mean the "Class-A" amps in the Axe? did you try the AC-20 amps (which are Morgan amps)?

is there a reason you're looking for something other than the "obvious" choices? missing chime or something? or are you just looking for similar amps to the AC-30? i think we can get you the "right" amp if we know what's missing or what you're seeking specifically.

I guess I just don't know about Vox amps that much. I know the Edge uses them for a good portion of his sound, but really just wanting guidance for U2 amp sounds in various amp models. Thanks!

I guess I just don't know about Vox amps that much. I know the Edge uses them for a good portion of his sound, but really just wanting guidance for U2 amp sounds in various amp models. Thanks!
there are great amp suggestions above. but maybe i'd suggest trying the AC-20 EF86 T to start with. also an appropriate cab is key for the eq of that particular sound. so try a bunch of 2x12 cabs. then start messing with Treble and Presence controls to get that chime. a compressor in the front is essential for the specific "edge" sound, though you might be able to use the comp in the amp block itself too.

I think the AC30 Top Boost model in the Fractal is maybe the most authentic for Edge's basic tone.

But, much like a real Vox, it takes a little dialing in to get into the sweet spot. The low end is a little tricky. I like to cut 400hz with a PEQ in front of the amp and use the SDD Preamp drive block with the drive at 1 and the level around 7 all else default. Drive -> PEQ -> Amp -> PEQ -> Cab.

The Vox IR's in @ownhammer 's latest cab pack work really well with this amp model as do the JY collection Vox IR's.

Also, do a forum search for @indeloon85 's free Vox IR's. His SM58+609_2 Vox IR is still one of my all time favorites. Very amp in the room sounding.

Edge also plays vintage Fender Deluxe amps, and a Fender Harvard, though they don't have their original speakers. Similar to his new signature amp from Fender, which I'm sure is no coincidence. IIRC "Vertigo" is all Fender amps - I guess fuzz pedals probably make the Vox sound too buzzy.

For the occasional forays into hard rock he's got a 50W 1987X Marshall as well. "Hold Me, Thrill Me.." must use it.

I think the AC30 Top Boost model in the Fractal is maybe the most authentic for Edge's basic tone.

But, much like a real Vox, it takes a little dialing in to get into the sweet spot. The low end is a little tricky. I like to cut 400hz with a PEQ in front of the amp and use the SDD Preamp drive block with the drive at 1 and the level around 7 all else default. Drive -> PEQ -> Amp -> PEQ -> Cab.

The Vox IR's in @ownhammer 's latest cab pack work really well with this amp model as do the JY collection Vox IR's.

Also, do a forum search for @indeloon85 's free Vox IR's. His SM58+609_2 Vox IR is still one of my all time favorites. Very amp in the room sounding.

I appreciate that man! Really glad the IR is still working for ya!

Don't forget the Randall's!

1206410161-e1a2c0d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom