New utility for the AxeChange

Couldn't get this to work. The axeloader pop ups a window and it instantly disappears and nothing seems to happen. User related problem perhaps?

Couldn't get this to work. The axeloader pop ups a window and it instantly disappears and nothing seems to happen. User related problem perhaps?

There are three ways to use axeloader. I'm going to assume you're using Windows but things work similarly on Mac.

The easiest way:

Drag and drop the .syx file you want to send to the AxeFx, onto axeloader.exe.​

The other, sort of easy, way:

1) Right click on the .syx file you want to send to the AxeFx, go to the "Open With" sub menu and chose "Choose default program...".
2) Click "Browse" and select axeloader.exe in the dialog that follows.
3) (optional) Uncheck the "Always use the selected program" checkbox, unless you want axeloader to handle all .syx files by default.
4) Press OK

Now, axeloader will open the file and send it to the AxeFx. The next time you want to send a file to the axefx, you can directly select axeloader in the "open with" sub menu.
If you chose to leave the "Always use the selected program" checkbox checked, then double clicking .syx files will send them directly to the axefx. Just note that the current version of axeloader only supports preset files. (bank and IR files will soon be supported).

The command line/terminal/power user:

axeloader is a command line tool. To run: axeloader my_preset.syx

Hope this helps.

Can't get Loader to work on a Mac though.
You can't associate SYX files with Loader, because Loader is a Terminal app.

Thanks yek. I'll document that. I think it's time to get out of the terminal so I'll be making a gui app next.

Reactions: yek
Just browsed through the source in the repository. This is great stuff! I had to create a forum account just so I can say thank you!

Grymt jobbat! I'll be testing the loader when I get a chance (Later today). Can I ask you some things about Little Giant in a private message?

Just browsed through the source in the repository. This is great stuff! I had to create a forum account just so I can say thank you!

Grymt jobbat! I'll be testing the loader when I get a chance (Later today). Can I ask you some things about Little Giant in a private message?

Absolutely. My email is in the readme file.

I had earlier some problems with some presets overwriting presets on different locations in the axe when using MidiOx. Now I tried two of these patches with your loader, but they do not load at all (don't overwrite either). Specifically it's these from AxeChange:
Axe-Change - Download Preset - Molten Lead - by Kruegmeister
Axe-Change - Download Preset - Brit JVM - by Kruegmeister

I remember you say that this axeloader will somehow load them but not overwrite, but these don't load for me? The terminal window does not say anything like ""loading midi device" either like it does on normal presets. The terminal open and close very quick as if nothing happens... Maybe you'd like to check 'em out?

Thanks for the heads up ztevie. I checked those files and the problem is that the format version number is 0x105 whereas more recent firmwares (7 and later iirc) have versions 0x202 and 0x204.
I checked these presets though and as far as I can tell, there aren't any differences that matter to the utilities, so I've whitelisted that version and will be uploading a new version of the utilities as soon as I've run through some tests.

New version is up.

* Axeloader now supports loading backup and IR files as well as preset files.
* Version check is much more relaxed so older syx files are supported. (thanks ztevie for reporting the problem)
* When errors occur in axeloader, a revolutionary feature has been added: "please press any key" :)
This is so that when running the utilities outside of a shell, an error message won't go unnoticed.
When things go fine however, there's no 'wait'.
* axeloader now prints "#" for every sysex message sent so that progress is more visible.

Download: https://afx2lg.googlecode.com/files/axe_utilities.zip

Appreciate your efforts tgunn. These utils are super handy and work very well for me. Win7/64.

Any chance this will be updated to work with FW10? Current version does not seem to work with FW10 but was able to use it to back up everything before going to FW10.

Hey tgunn,
What about your wonderful axeloader utility with fw12, is it ok ?
I'd like to test a bunch of preset files and the simplest way would be to use your tool,as axemanage isn't available yet ;)

I have no idea unfortunately!
I've been traveling a lot lately and too busy to check (my axefx is still on fw11 would you believe it!). I'll be back home next weekend so I can check then. Until then I can do code reviews if anybody wants to contribute :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom