Eric Johnson Tone - Cliffs of Dover

That's funny! I posted an audio clip once and was slammed beyond all belief! I post some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and you guys flip! I CAN say this, I DO have the technique down. I wouldn't even consider posting myself playing any EJ stuff for you, because I have no need to justify my abilities to you or anyone else. What bugs me is you guys are all stating, "omg you nailed his tone and you nailed the song!" I just disagree! That is all. Like I said, not bad playing, but not great either. Not sure if you saw the FB post where EJ's fiancé posted this same video, but there was a lot worse feedback than I've given...some of them were so bad that she ended up deleting them!

Actually EJ posted this video on his fbk page. Looks like he appreciated it.

Apparently I'm not allowed to provide constructive criticism on this forum! ........... You guys are too quick to circle jerk each other instead of providing real feedback.

Anyone could pick apart any performance. Everyone has their own opinions. But there is a time and place for constructive criticism. In this instance it's obvious the guy is talented. It's obvious the performance was damned close to the original recording. Based on these two observations alone I'd bet that he's aware of any short comings in his performance no matter how small.

Personally I wouldn't want to be "that guy" who feels compelled to point out any flaw in such an outstanding performance. It's just a very douche bag thing to do and makes you look like you're insecure about something.

Just sayin.

If you know anything about EJ, his fiancé does all his posting. I must know this somehow...hmmm. Anyways, I stand by my belief...if you go posting saying 'look how awesome I am at EJ'...I'm not quoting, but it sure is implied...you should at least be as awesome as EJ! As I said before, it's not that bad of a take, but you guys are completely ridiculous. I clearly see this clique on this forum...there are guys that you'll completely bash on and others that you basically take their entire cock in your mouth. If you want to ban me for saying that, go right ahead. To me, if you're going to take on a tone master such as EJ, then you better do your homework! The first song I ever learned to play was Cliffs of Dover, and I still to this day will not play it live because there's only one person that should play that live...too many have butchered it! I said three things: 1. The chord voicings were not dead on 2. His tone was too gritty, and not smooth 3. His right hand needed more 'bounce'. Then the bashing started. To the OP, your playing is good, my CONSTRUCTIVE criticism (which you do NOT need to be 'better' to give, btw) above is simply what I offer to you. To be honest, I enjoyed the video. I thought the entire point of a forum was to communicate to each other, and HELP each other out...what's the point of picking sides? That's all I'm saying...I'm done. SOME of you guys have helped me on simple 'duh!' things, and others have been complete dicks...and not just to me. I posted before asking if this was craigslist...

Thanks everyone! Really do appreciate your comments! I can't make the patch available just yet as I'm recording a 'Play Like Eric Johnson DVD' for Licklibrary. Once the DVD is out I'd be happy to share it with you guys.

I couldn't hold it in any longer...this was the reason I ranted the way I did. If you plan on doing a 'play like Eric Johnson DVD' then you better have the tone, the playability, and the mojo nailed. EJ already has a few videos out on how to play like him...I guess I was being a little too nice in my constructive criticism!

Reactions: JT2
If you know anything about EJ, his fiancé does all his posting. I must know this somehow...hmmm.

And your point?

I clearly see this clique on this forum...there are guys that you'll completely bash on and others that you basically take their entire cock in your mouth.

I'm the least "clique" person you'll see here. Joined in 09 and have less than 500 posts (I think). I had never heard of the OP before he posted this video. After watching the vid I immediately searched out his Youtube channel and enjoyed what he's doing musically.

If you read your responses (starting with your first) to this point you should easily see why you're getting the response that you are. You earned it.

Hmmm... this thread escalated quickly.

First off - excellent performance and tone, my man. I liked it a lot!

Second off - Guitartripp... man take a hint. Get a life and go play some guitar rather than come onto a voluntary exchange forum and immediately make everybody hate you. Jeez...

Back
Top Bottom