Are you tired of FRFR?

I just want some decent frfr cabs that don't cost thousands of dollars
Is your vote for CLR's

Well if what I've heard on this forum, you can plug in a Boss GT-6 for all I care and make people think it's got tubes.

No I haven't tried it. :D

My vote is probably going for JBL PRX612 for most bang for buck. If cheaper then Alto TS115... but from what I hear they can make Axe-Fx II sound like Boss GT-6 to some users while some users love them.

(trying to find new brands to bash)

I assume this thread will now transform into another CLR hype fest.
FWIW I just pulled the trigger on a TwoNotes Torpedo Live.

Yes, I am very happy with my CLRs and my Axe-II.

But I'm open to everything - and as per the OPs post, we'll see where this new avenue takes me and my FRFR pursuits.

Peace,
Mo

FWIW I just pulled the trigger on a TwoNotes Torpedo Live.

Yes, I am very happy with my CLRs and my Axe-II.

But I'm open to everything - and as per the OPs post, we'll see where this new avenue takes me and my FRFR pursuits.

Peace,
Mo
Ventura- are you planning to run tube amps into the CLRs via the Torpedo?

Ventura- are you planning to run tube amps into the CLRs via the Torpedo?

Everything, really.

I've got a lot of amps very dear to me, so I can get these recorded with no fuss, no muss. So in this case, yep, Torpedo as a loadbox and DI feed to my DAW.
Secondly, consistency.
Thirdly, any volume.
Fourthly, through my FRFR monitors (yes, CLRs)
Fifthly, even through a cab as it has a thru-jack, but attenuated if need be.

You may wonder why I'm doing this if I have an Axe-II. Reason is I am still finding it hard to get the tones that my current repertoire of heads offers me. And since I can't play full-tilt (volume wise) all the time anymore, it's a nice option. I've grown accustomed to the convenience of the Axe-II in this regard, so it's paved the way for the purchase of the TNTL.

Certainly no dis to the Axe-II, it stays as well.

Mo

Sounds like you thought this out Mo.. 8)
I've entertained the idea of the Torpedo myself because I still like using some of my amps but volume is always an issue. That's largely why I got the Axe to begin with. No questioning from me on using real amps/heads- the Axe does not replace them IMO.. just adds to the options. I still have a couple of great pedal boards that are matched to some vintage amps that are not going anywhere.

I have a pair of CLRs myself, so I'm interested to hear how this goes for you. I may follow suit when I can afford another purchase..

What these kind of threads tend to miss, is that there's not a one size fits all solution to using the Axe live. Scott P said it on page one, but it bears repeating, the great thing about the Axe 2 is that it can be integrated into so many different set-ups.

FRFR might work brilliantly if you're a rock band playing with a full PA, but not so much if you're in a death metal band playing shows with PA for vocals only.

As someone who falls into the latter category :evil I'm making the switch back to real cabs. I actually really like my Mackie 1521, but I miss the focus and punch of a 4x12. At home-playing volumes, the Mackie tends to sound very boxy, once its at show volume it's great, but that kind of defeats one of the key reasons for me getting the Axe...great sound at any volume. Also it only took one disastrous gig with a horrible sound guy who did terrible things to my direct signal, to make me rethink things. Also, it turns out that while my Mackie is 30 or 40 lbs lighter, a wheeled cabinet has certain other advantages :lol So I think I'm falling into the "tired of FRFR" category and will let our drummer use the Mackie for his Roland kit live and I'll sort out a poweramp. Going to use the return of my Dual Recto (which sounds killer) for a show in a few weeks as I decide whether I want to go tube (looking at the Mesa 2:Fifty) or Matrix...

Back
Top Bottom