LPD Tone Clone - Def Leppard High And Dry AxeFx II

groovenut

Power User
This has been one of my favorite raw Marshall type tones since I started playing guitar. One side is the original looped and the other side is the AxeFx II. The effects used in the original were an interesting blend that I didn't expect or maybe it would be better to say realize, until I sat down to put this together.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they were using Les Pauls and JCM800s or at the very least MV Marshalls.

And for those who like to have something to look at while they listen...

Any guesses?

Last edited:
That is amazing dude!! My favorite Leppard album. Great Marshall tones that Mutt Lange got out of these boys.

I am listening on earbuds on my iPad & I have no clue which is which!!

Thanks! I think I got really close on this one. The secret to really nailing the tone was the effects. At a casual listen it doesn't appear to be anything unusual but there are some cool subtleties happening there.

This too is one of my favorite raw Marshall tones of all time! Fantastic job! I cannot tell which track is which. Will you be sharing this preset? I will certainly make a donation for this! :D I tried for a long, long time to nail this tone, but never could get it this close. I can't wait to see what's in that preset! :mrgreen

I saw them on that tour, they were opening for Blackfoot. IIRC both Pete and Steve were playing Hamer guitars live. Not sure what they used for recording.

ROTFL - that is one of my fav albums so I was sure I'd be able to nail it -I just hit play and listened.... I waited until the first half finished and was ready to ID the real tone... but to my shock, it was the end of the recording! HA! It was so seamless and so spot on, I didn't even know one track had finished and the other started. Super work!

ROTFL - that is one of my fav albums so I was sure I'd be able to nail it -I just hit play and listened.... I waited until the first half finished and was ready to ID the real tone... but to my shock, it was the end of the recording! HA! It was so seamless and so spot on, I didn't even know one track had finished and the other started. Super work!
LOL! thanks!

Thanks Lawrence! I gotta say... I'm really surprised at the complete lack of bass in this preset! In all honesty, this preset really doesn't sound good with my setup at all. But... I promised to donate if the preset was provided, so... donation has been made. :)

I plan on using the preset's delay and reverb blocks to try to continue to develop my own HnD preset. I appreciate your work... hopefully those blocks will help me get closer!

Thanks Lawrence! I gotta say... I'm really surprised at the complete lack of bass in this preset! In all honesty, this preset really doesn't sound good with my setup at all. But... I promised to donate if the preset was provided, so... donation has been made. :)

I plan on using the preset's delay and reverb blocks to try to continue to develop my own HnD preset. I appreciate your work... hopefully those blocks will help me get closer!
I know exactly what you mean by the lack of bass. I too was surprised, but that is the frequency content of the recording (unless something has gone wonky with the V6 to V7 transition). So often the tone that works great in the mix sounds a bit empty on it's own. For live tone I would definitely bring the bass up as well as some midrange.

I appreciate your honesty with your impression of the preset. If there is anything I can do to help get it sounding like you want with your setup, just let me know. I am sure we can get it closer to your ideal. Thank you so much for your support!

Last edited:
Incredible match Groovenut, I can't tell the difference. Looks like we are in the same neck of the woods, of course I'm in Peoria. Keep it up, yo ave created some impressive presets lately. I have stated this before, but think it's time for an Arizona meetup.

Holy cow, didn't know you guys were in the Phx area too!

Thanks! Now get working on that Pete Willis tone. : )

... not before he does, Ronni LeTekro's "Tell No Tales" guitar tone... :roll Great job as always Lawrence! :D

(edit):Original posting Aug.2/12??... sorry... I fell asleep at the wheel! :lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom