FW10 has really F-d UP my Mesa Patches :( ... lot's of work or back to V6???

I think people should get off the OP back. It seems that nobody can say anything negative about the axe fx without a whole buch of people getting stuck into them. Who cares what mark day or Scott Peterson do they are not the be all and end all. It's like this forum is a cult where everyone worships mark day and Scott Peterson. I'm pretty sure this forum is full of white middle/upperclass males who are more interested in technology more than music. Stop the hero worship and stop making people feel like idiots. This forum is no different to others where people get flamed its just done with more sophisticated language. Before anyone says if u don't like it then don't come on here I won't be back I sick of it not a friendly forum if u have a different opinion, it's just as bad as a religion.

lol oh.

Hmmm, this thread has taken on a disappointing tone, like several before it. All opinions are valid but a level of respect is called for.

It's like this forum is a cult where everyone worships mark day.....

All Praise Mark

worshipingmark.jpg

"What is thy bidding, oh master of many faces?"

EDIT - Yep, not bad for my 900th post. :p

Last edited:
"master of many faces". it's funny, cos it's true :)

anyway....getting back on topic....i'm wondering if the OP actually has a problem with his firmware. might be worth a reload and a system reset?

it's hard to help, because we don't know how his sounds have been messed up exactly. a clip would help!

anyway....getting back on topic....i'm wondering if the OP actually has a problem with his firmware. might be worth a reload and a system reset?

^ This.

I have loaded firmware back and forth probably 100 times and on a few of them I had to reload it because there must have been some kind of glitch somewhere in the update process that resulted in many presets sounding very off. I always do a reset after every upgrade. Being that the OP is just singling out one amp type I doubt that is the issue but it's at least worth a try and takes but a few minutes.

Hi Lenny D

Just a good tip (I don't read all the posts in this thread....too much "other" information for me): Use the Input Trim in the advanced parameters to get control of the boogie amp paradigm. Input Trim is your clean channel Volume, which affects the lead channel too. And set the tonestack from default to the USA types, and set it "pre" - get back the boogies! Still there - trust me, I've got two StudioPreamps - the 1st converted into a Dumble ODS Recording Amp, the 2nd with a MkIIC+ mode added! :) And the boogie tones out of firmware 10 are great!

I'm off to a long bycyle trip this week - back next week - if there are further questions, be patienced ;)

all the best
Paco

The most constructive way to approach this is to post a clip of what you had then, then a post of what you have now. Describe your entire chain (guitar, amp, speakers, etc beyond just the Axe-FX) you use. Describe what you are going after and then share both patches.

Other than that, and not towards the OP, slams on Mark Day (who isn't even in the thread) and me (whom didn't go after anyone but obviously has somebody upset over something for some reason) and the forum trying to help isn't very constructive or instructive whatsoever.

Hi Lenny D

Just a good tip (I don't read all the posts in this thread....too much "other" information for me): Use the Input Trim in the advanced parameters to get control of the boogie amp paradigm. Input Trim is your clean channel Volume, which affects the lead channel too. And set the tonestack from default to the USA types, and set it "pre" - get back the boogies! Still there - trust me, I've got two StudioPreamps - the 1st converted into a Dumble ODS Recording Amp, the 2nd with a MkIIC+ mode added! :) And the boogie tones out of firmware 10 are great!

I'm off to a long bycyle trip this week - back next week - if there are further questions, be patienced ;)

all the best
Paco

Yeah sure Paco,
That's one thing I wanted to do but not globally, so will give the advanced parameters a play.
It's a long weekend here coming up and I have 4 big nights/shows - so gona test a bunch of stuff out at volume.

Keen to try what some of the others have said in turning FW 7/MMIC OFF... anybody know where in the manual that tells us of this and how and if it's done anything???
Is it possible to have it on for certain patches and off for others?

Hey there Scott,
I have actually done this in Pro-tools for my Fender cleans, my Marshall sounds, and IIC+/Mark IV fusion and lead patches.
It was enough work for me switching FW between 6 and 10
haha
And what I was playing was just nonsense = embarrassing to put up!
btw - what is OP?
But yeah... I put a couple of vids/clips up of my old tones, and the FW10 are just not as good :(
cheers

The most constructive way to approach this is to post a clip of what you had then, then a post of what you have now. Describe your entire chain (guitar, amp, speakers, etc beyond just the Axe-FX) you use. Describe what you are going after and then share both patches.

Other than that, and not towards the OP, slams on Mark Day (who isn't even in the thread) and me (whom didn't go after anyone but obviously has somebody upset over something for some reason) and the forum trying to help isn't very constructive or instructive whatsoever.

Hey there Scott,
I have actually done this in Pro-tools for my Fender cleans, my Marshall sounds, and IIC+/Mark IV fusion and lead patches.
It was enough work for me switching FW between 6 and 10
haha
And what I was playing was just nonsense = embarrassing to put up!
btw - what is OP?
But yeah... I put a couple of vids/clips up of my old tones, and the FW10 are just not as good :(
cheers

OP = Original Poster

Cliff notes on thread

1.OP was on fw 6 and now on 10 and Mesa stuff sounds like poo?

2. Some jump on a ghost troll bandwagon and slam Mesa tones in AXE

3.Some good posts by Matt and Simeon and others, with simple solutions to cure ailing . This isn't rocket science (well ...for at least...US = the end user) Use your ears and change those dam IR's.

4.Conclusion - Thread way to long for this hence the need for Pop Tarts....

Pointing this out again.

EVERYTHING in your chain is important. You say 'good guitar', and the patch *should* sound great with it. Not true. I would argue, the guitar, and the IR are the most important parts of the equation. The amp is mutable, so it can adjust, but a certain sonic texture will be imprinted with a guitar and an IR; and have the most effect on tone.

Still stand by it. Retweak and you'll sound better, but if you care not for that option, be happy with what FW you have.

R

I agree about the IR giving the basic signature. Real heads sound remarkably similar through the same cab with the same guitar.

I think you missed Matt's point though. If you shoot an IR and tone match the amp live, then the resulting preset *will sound the same as if you plugged your guitar into that rig* mic'ed that way. So in a way it is re-micing your guitar into the same rig.

But, obviously you won't sound like the same guitar and player that did the match.

Well, isn't that the point though? Just because Steve Vai's Jem sounds good through a rig doesn't mean my BRJ 727 is going to sound good. I haven't had much luck with TM'ed presets I've downloaded, but then again - it's been a while.

Well, isn't that the point though? Just because Steve Vai's Jem sounds good through a rig doesn't mean my BRJ 727 is going to sound good. I haven't had much luck with TM'ed presets I've downloaded, but then again - it's been a while.

A live amp tone match is more like doing MIMIC+ to me vs. tone matching a recording.

The result should be just like playing the amp with the added bonus of the controls of the model acting like the amp controls to change as you want.

...will give the advanced parameters a play.
IMO, YMMV, etc but I don't get why the OP complains, says he "tried everything in all environments," and then six pages into the thread it looks like he hasn't tried advanced parameters yet. Why is it "too much work" for some to dig deep on their favorite amps and learn how the advanced parameters affect them. Isn't that part of owning an axe-fx, especially for full-time pros? :confused-new:

That said, kudos to those helping! (without the help of before/after reference files from the OP)

ok, let's sort this out

we need to understand whether the op doesn't like his tones because they've changed since v6 and it's either a matter of personal taste, or because it's different, it's "bad".....or.....there's something actually wrong with the way the firmware has loaded and something is "off"

lenny - please record a clip with one of the gainier presets that uses a mesa, or the friedman - or use one of your own patches (that you don't like any more) and attach the preset into this thread. someone can then download and compare and hopefully we can rule out some of the variables, otherwise we're just going around in circles...

lenny - please record a clip with one of the gainier presets that uses a mesa, or the friedman - or use one of your own patches (that you don't like any more) and attach the preset into this thread. someone can then download and compare and hopefully we can rule out some of the variables, otherwise we're just going around in circles...
+1 This should be a prerequisite for anyone complaining about firmware before/after troubles on a patch/patches.

Back
Top Bottom