OwnHammer Speaker Cabinets Public Beta (free stuff inside)

ok Kevin, got it. never really used Fat and Warm that much anyway to be honest :)

regarding your latest test file and maybe I have to listen a few more times, not sure if I actually prefer the first. the second seems to be a bit bigger, but also has something in the mids going on (and is a tad more fizzy ?) I'd probably try to dial down a little straight away. I have little to no experience with the MA200 and maybe that's exactly how it sounds, but somehow it sounds a bit more processed and less natural from the start. like I said, if that' how the mic sounds...so be it :)

To me the December clip sounds bigger and more balanced, clear and open, maybe a little less filtered/rolled off but not too bright. These characteristics are what I like to hear in an IR. :)

To me the December clip sounds bigger and more balanced, clear and open, maybe a little less filtered/rolled off but not too bright. These characteristics are what I like to hear in an IR. :)
they definitely sound bigger, which is great, but there's also something in the mids going on. maybe to balance out the added highs...?

To me the more recent clip is more even, open, deep, detailed, 3D and has less "gunk" on it, for lack of a better term. The less gunk while still providing plenty character (harmonic saturation), the clearer and more detailed everything else in the mix is as well, and is in my opinion the je ne sais quois of a good commercial recording and the challenge most face in getting there - the "garbage in, garbage out" & "you can't polish a turd" idioms in application. This was the new position 4, old position 6, (which are almost identical) so there is plenty of room on the way to 9 to go progressively thicker and more rounded to "listening with my head in a jar of mayonnaise" that some folks seem to want out of these things for whatever reason. :lol

In actuality, the new one has less EQ processing on it than before. In the past week when experimenting and testing, the objective was to find a placement set that sounded the best as it was with the least amount of EQ possible, FWIW.

I personally love the MA200, my typical go to mic for clean to mid break up tones. Another winner from Mr. Royer, in my opinion. :)

I think it's sensible to do away with the original brighter positions and extend beyond the position 9 towards darker positions. I have found that darker IRs are useful particularly in live use where things are perceived brighter due to the FM curve. Also, I sometimes play a strat through a bright amp type such as the JCM800 and without a darkish IR this combination can get out of hand with the treble. Furthermore, the amp itself relies on gain from the bright cap so turning down the treble from the amp is less practical than using a dark IR.

All IMHO.

Hi Kevin! I have some questions:

The libraries that won't have the Studio Pro/Nebula stuff in them, will they be only for the people that bought the Kickstarter deal, or will they be a permanent addition?

Will the Studio Pro stuff include IRs for the Axe, or simply be a software/DAW thing?

Last edited:
The second one sounded smoother to me listening in my mix room on nearfields.

Like the freq spectrum was more even.

Ready for carving... as they say :)

Richard

So is the whole 12M library redone in this new philosophy, or just the MA200 add? Sorry...can't keep up with the progress! :)

I think it's sensible to do away with the original brighter positions and extend beyond the position 9 towards darker positions. I have found that darker IRs are useful particularly in live use where things are perceived brighter due to the FM curve. Also, I sometimes play a strat through a bright amp type such as the JCM800 and without a darkish IR this combination can get out of hand with the treble. Furthermore, the amp itself relies on gain from the bright cap so turning down the treble from the amp is less practical than using a dark IR.

All IMHO.

Point well made. Could a low pass filter after the amp block at any point could be of as much or more assistance in this application and situation as well? In this way tone stack and gain stages are unaffected.

The libraries that won't have the Studio Pro/Nebula stuff in them, will they be only for the people that bought the Kickstarter deal, or will they be a permanent addition?

No WAV library from the past, regardless of if it was an individual library or part of a bundle package, will be provided the 'Studio Pro' section or Nebula files. No libraries from here on out will be sold this way either. If previous WAV library owners would like these extra files (all or nothing, Studio Pro + Nebula platform files), there will be upgrade options available at the completion of this first library. The Studio Pro section is the evolution of the MMS series, so if anybody picked up one of those, they'll get the Studio Pro files for all platforms (as was how the MMS libraries were put together.

All this confusion of separation of features and included formats is why I'm ditching it. Quite frankly it drives me insane. :)

Will the Studio Pro stuff include IRs for the Axe, or simply be a software/DAW thing?

All platforms (.syx, .wav, .n2p/.n2v), info here

So is the whole 12M library redone in this new philosophy, or just the MA200 add? Sorry...can't keep up with the progress! :)

Whole library.

Additionally, there will also be slight variations in capture procedure for 4x12 cabs from smaller cabinets (2x12, 1x12, and 10"ers whenever I get around to them), to be more appropriate for the kinds of tones most would go to for that kind of cab. For example, you're not going to be playing death metal through a Fender Twin style amp/cab/speakers, nor Robben Ford through an Engl rig, so the relative positions will be based on play testing in appropriate pickup and amp configurations for the different sized cabs. I've been driving myself to the brink of a psychotic breakdown this week trying to force a decision to go one way or the other, when the thought occurred to me that I can have my cake and eat it too. Were I not so sleep deprived, I'm sure such a simple and rational conclusion would have come to me much sooner. :lol

Once I've created, compiled, and added the Studio Pro stuff, I'll make sure before posting it that I create a set of upgrade products in the store. With Zen Cart you can enter text in a note field on one of the steps, and folks can let me know what they want upgraded there, or by emailing me. Then more manual trudging around in the SQL tables and it's all gravy henceforth.

I desperately need to update my FAQ as well, which I've been aware of for quite some time and am going to try to shoot for working on very soon if I can spare the time.

I'm confused. I went to download the 4x12 Bogner 12M again from my library and it only comes up with the R121, SM57, and SM57U3. There were a # of other mics the last time I downloaded from my link. Is that to be updated soon and these are another cut so maybe "V3"?

Essentially, yes; everything before has been removed entirely. I had actually thought that same thing to myself earlier in the week (the "V3" thing), but my catalog reboot is going to alleviate the potential confusion in what package holds what version badge. For everyone following this madness, however, that is an appropriate way to think of it. :)

Tomorrow afternoon if all goes as planned I'll be uploading the MA200, R92, and TC30 files, as well as finally getting the Nebula stuff put together for the current site product. At that point, I'm forcing myself to not touch this again until Wednesday morning, we'll see how that goes... :lol

Once I've created, compiled, and added the Studio Pro stuff, I'll make sure before posting it that I create a set of upgrade products in the store. With Zen Cart you can enter text in a note field on one of the steps, and folks can let me know what they want upgraded there, or by emailing me. Then more manual trudging around in the SQL tables and it's all gravy henceforth.

I desperately need to update my FAQ as well, which I've been aware of for quite some time and am going to try to shoot for working on very soon if I can spare the time.

Wait a minute...What if I don't want to upgrade and just get the wav libraries? I couldn't care less for the nebula stuff....What is going to happen to the "10 slots" I have now from the kickstarter?

Wait a minute...What if I don't want to upgrade and just get the wav libraries? I couldn't care less for the nebula stuff....What is going to happen to the "10 slots" I have now from the kickstarter?

Those were sold as WAV libraries under the condition they were for current or future offerings, and that will be honored. I'm not going to "screw anybody over", I think my reputation stands to show that's not the way I handle my business. :) Any library previously or yet to be released will be subdivided into the WAV feature set solely for the purpose of redemption in these slots. They will be sans the Studio Pro addition, as that was never a part of the original lineup and for all intents and purposes, is the recreation of the previous MMS offerings.

New libraries sold outright will not, however, be offered minus the Nebula or Studio Pro inclusions. Moving forward from here it is an all inclusive package, regardless of whether or not anybody wants or needs all the features or platform inclusions; they're there if you're ever curious or need them in the future. :thumbsup

Those were sold as WAV libraries under the condition they were for current or future offerings, and that will be honored. I'm not going to "screw anybody over", I think my reputation stands to show that's not the way I handle my business. :) Any library previously or yet to be released will be subdivided into the WAV feature set solely for the purpose of redemption in these slots. They will be sans the Studio Pro addition, as that was never a part of the original lineup and for all intents and purposes, is the recreation of the previous MMS offerings.

New libraries sold outright will not, however, be offered minus the Nebula or Studio Pro inclusions. Moving forward from here it is an all inclusive package, regardless of whether or not anybody wants or needs all the features or platform inclusions; they're there if you're ever curious or need them in the future. :thumbsup

Cool thanks!

Well, I'm glad that you've got a good package format that you can stick with, and if this means more cabs faster, I'm down - I can't wait for a Mesa cab and am crossing my fingers for if you ever get around to a SVT 10" speaker in the future. Although I doubt very much that the nebula stuff will do anything for me given my setup, I'll likely check it out. Cool beans!!!

Kevin, how much will the follwing cost:

1. Update from Kickstarter to the full library of a given cab?

2. Update from an old V1 library to new full library of a given cab?

Sounds like there will be one all-inclusive product for each cabinet going forward. However, if you've previously purchased a subset of that product Kevin will update what you've purchased to the latest version, i.e. V2 or V3, etc. He will also be providing an upgrade you can purchase in order to get the additional contents of the all-inclusive product if you so desire.

Back
Top Bottom