Paisley tone still eluding me in V7

A friend of mine and Ultra user who also owns a bunch of amps, had a guy over who used to work for Trainwreck. Can't remember his name at the moment but he had just done some work for Brad tuning up his amps. FWIW He said that Brad's ZWreck was very similar to a Trainwreck amp. You might try starting there, that is with AxeFX Wrecker.

If you have success let me know. I like Brad's tone but I haven't spent anytime trying to figure it out. Too many other great sounds I get stuck on.

Can't quite get these tones in the Axe to the same heaven as their tube amp originals myself. That compressed, spanky almost clean...sort of in parallel with that swirly overdrive. From 0:45 in that video...seriously distorted, not flubby, and you still hear that spanky tele through it all. Sweet tone 8)

Can't quite get these tones in the Axe to the same heaven as their tube amp originals myself. That compressed, spanky almost clean...sort of in parallel with that swirly overdrive. From 0:45 in that video...seriously distorted, not flubby, and you still hear that spanky tele through it all. Sweet tone 8)

I'm totally with you. Closest I've got so far is using the Blankenship Leeds model but I can't make it quite "hairy" enough without losing definition on the lower strings. I tried tweaked the Definition parameter to compensate but then it started to lose the "spongy" quality... :/

tried it with his guitar, and more importantly, with his fingers ? come on guys, it's pretty clear that this guy's tone comes from his fingers and if he played through anyhing, it would still sound like him...

Groovenuts Paisely patch sounds great in 7.0. I agree, also, we are making the flubiness, so to speak. The guys one the best guitar players in the world (I said "one" of the best, so no attacks please) and still folks just don't understand why they cannot get the same sound. Is your palm in the same string mute place and same pressure, are your finges plucking at the same angle and pressure each time as his, etc, etc. Come on man. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.
He is most of the sound.

tried it with his guitar, and more importantly, with his fingers ? come on guys, it's pretty clear that this guy's tone comes from his fingers and if he played through anyhing, it would still sound like him...

In this case I don't think thats the issue IMHO.. I think Member "Tarzan" described it well in his post

I have said it before, if you have ever played through a Dr Z you will testify that what I am saying is true. They are very percussive (hit you in the chest), loud, gritty and just plain hard to replicate. Groovenut's tone sounded excellent, but a low volume -which is great for recording and a bonus due to the Axe's ability to get great tone at low volumes (also great for small clubs and house's of Worship, however, next to a Z rig it would not sound even close. The down side is the Z's are so flippin loud you have to use an attenuator which kills the tone. So conclusion is the Axe wins! Only caveat is Paisley plays loud and his tone comes from mostly his fingers but also from the cranked Z amps.

I'm totally with you. Closest I've got so far is using the Blankenship Leeds model but I can't make it quite "hairy" enough without losing definition on the lower strings. I tried tweaked the Definition parameter to compensate but then it started to lose the "spongy" quality... :/

Have you dug into fine tweaking the drive and MV to get the tone, feel and drive right? Also Compression in the amp block for touch sensitivity and Preamp Bias to get the right type of preamp drive?

On a Vox model there's a lot going on with the drive between 3 and 4 and the MV between 6.5 and 9, Maybe use 2 cabs with a blue and a silver (or greenback) like Paisley has used (he used a Weber blue and silver in a 2x12).

Is a little out of my wheelhouse, but I will offer that maybe a week ago I downloaded Cliff's Dr Z tone match from Axe-Change and have had nothing but fun working with that as a starting point for some really great tones. Reacts well to the volume control from the guitar, cleans up for my strat nicely but can get to snarly when needed. Maybe something to look at.

OK, I have to be honest here. I'm not using cab sims (I know a portion of the sound comes from the speakers) and I can't really expect to nail the sound of a Z Wreck through my Matrix and Zilla cab. Even so, I hoped to get closer to this tone than I have. Here's my current preset:

Attachments

• Paisley.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 11
Have you dug into fine tweaking the drive and MV to get the tone, feel and drive right? Also Compression in the amp block for touch sensitivity and Preamp Bias to get the right type of preamp drive?
I've played with all the primary controls but haven't really touched the Advanced parameters.

Only need one amp in the Axe then? In the world, for that matter?

I'm not even talking about this guy in particular, I'm talking about a certain amp character, somewhat described in my earlier post.
I can get many nice tones in the Axe, but I can't quite get to that level of "organic".

Only need one amp in the Axe then? In the world, for that matter?

I'm not even talking about this guy in particular, I'm talking about a certain amp character, somewhat described in my earlier post.
I can get many nice tones in the Axe, but I can't quite get to that level of "organic".

I am not trying to argue here. Forget the axe for a minute. What is organic? I have been playing for over 30 years. I do understand the dictionary definition of organic.
Unless it's as simple as you mean organic as in the real thing.

A very over used term online these days. I see a lot of "catchy" adjectives used and I have no idea what they mean universally, if anything!

Stringtheorist:

You might consider the global input gain for your guitar. Since you're probably using a Tele, you might bump up the input gain on "Instr Input 1."

With my Tele and Wrecker 1 I come pretty close I think.

Wrecker: Master 9, Drive around 6, Bass 3, Presence 5.
Cab: RW G12H30.

Back
Top Bottom