Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 6.01 Up

I will release 6.02 shortly. It will allow you to adjust the Triodes to sound like 6.00 or 6.01. Frankly, I think you guys are imagining things.

The ONLY difference between 6.00 and 6.01 is the slightly lower default Transformer Match and a slightly lower Triode Hardness value. Reducing Triode Hardness vs. 6.00 gave better harmonic matching. To my ears, the effect was indiscernible but the harmonic ratio is slightly different.

Can anyone comment on the new 6160 model? I won't have a chance to update until next week, but I was really digging the 6160. As of firmware 6.0, it was my go to amp. Prior to that it was missing something and did not compare favorably to my 5150 (signature model) head, but 6.0 changed that. Just curious as to how the new "block letter" model compares and if you noticed any drastic differences.

I only had about 20 minutes with it.. update went smooth, all the amps and drives are there. I play both Amp/Cabs & FRFR. Last night was mostly Amp/Cabs.. I'm a classic rock guy, mild distortion to cranked Marshall stuff. So far I love the update, the new pedals with Boutique 1 are AWESOME!! I did mess with some high gain stuff... 5153 all 3 colors... I still find the high-end a little too much, but nothing that can't be tamed with some EQ etc. This could also be my VHT power amp and Scumback M75/H75 speaker's. I did feel some of the mild tones were a bit more open with clarity, but overall I didn't hear a BIG difference.

I will release 6.02 shortly. It will allow you to adjust the Triodes to sound like 6.00 or 6.01. Frankly, I think you guys are imagining things.

The ONLY difference between 6.00 and 6.01 is the slightly lower default Transformer Match and a slightly lower Triode Hardness value. Reducing Triode Hardness vs. 6.00 gave better harmonic matching. To my ears, the effect was indiscernible but the harmonic ratio is slightly different.

What happened to the triode hardness parameter? Is it moved or gone in 6.01 as I cant' find it. I hope you bring it back to be fully adjustable rather than a choice of the defaults for 6 & 6.01. It was one of my "go to" parameters to really nail what I wanted to hear.

Thanks for this - much appreciated - I'm one who's noticing a difference. I was planning to record something in 6.01 with xfrmr match at 1.1, then restore to 6.0 and record again using the same patch and compare to "hear if I'm hearing things" - (Maybe my tinnitis gets in the way). I'll also check my Atomics when I get home as I may have lowered the tweeter with 6.0 and should turn it back up with 6.01.

Thanks cliff, I'm sure I'm imagining things, it wouldn't be the first time lol

Looking forward to trying it. Thanks for making this such a fun product to own. It is truly rare to buy something and have it actually get better and better, while becoming more and more useful.

Has anyone had delay 2 get stuck? It happened twice when I turn it on it gets caugh on a note and keeps repeating. I the try to switch types but get nothing after that from delay2. Then I reboot the axe and it goes back to normal. I dont have freeze function on but it acts like it and it also goes across presets when I switch.

What happened to the triode hardness parameter? Is it moved or gone in 6.01 as I cant' find it. I hope you bring it back to be fully adjustable rather than a choice of the defaults for 6 & 6.01. It was one of my "go to" parameters to really nail what I wanted to hear.

It was removed a couple of firmwares back.

Has anyone had delay 2 get stuck? It happened twice when I turn it on it gets caugh on a note and keeps repeating. I the try to switch types but get nothing after that from delay2. Then I reboot the axe and it goes back to normal. I dont have freeze function on but it acts like it and it also goes across presets when I switch.

Were you using axe-edit?

Yes, but...

*funny_polymath...this is GOD.
Guys in cover bands deal with it by redialing their patches.
Working musicians can do this because I gave them a gift I didn't give to every bedroom/amateur musician. I gave them something called EARS*

;-)

solo-act,

I can certainly see your point and it seems that your sort of "half-joking/half-making-a-point." I (like you) gig regularly, but for all we know, funny_polymath (or a number of other "bedroom-players") might/could possibly play circles around us, (..well, play circles around me let's say - lol!) There could be a number of reasons why funny_polymath is NOT a full-time/working/gigging-musician, but it isn't automatically because of a lack of talent/ability...Some guys have suffered serious injuries, and it's either impossible, or the physical wear-and-tear is not deemed worth it, etc. Some guys lose the passion, etc.

I guess my point is (and you probably understand this very well anyways) that for some, gigging gets in your blood, and you feel like you don't have a choice, some guys make the choice not to gig, and some guys (unfortunately) have the decision made for them, due to circumstances/events/conditions outside of their control...

...And yes, for those who "must gig," the re-tweaking of patches is just another reality that you deal with, "cuz you gotta play out!" - LOL!

I'm glad you "smiley-faced" your comment - LOL!

Bill

Last edited:
I don't quite follow...the triode hardness parameter still shows (on my Edit 1.0.304) under the "power" tab, bottom row, 3rd from the left....or am I missing something :)

Yes, it's still there, but it's set to '0' on every amp except 59 Bassguy, where the value is 5. :?

Part of the issue is that the human brain/ear cannot accurately compare two sounds that are more than a few seconds apart. I.e. almost none of us have two IIs to directly A/B.
This.

Much of what we hear in a situation like this (firmware upgrade) is heavily influenced by what we expect to hear.

Which is why I rarely comment on "improved" sound after an update. Most of the time I can't tell. I can't remember what it used to sound like as opposed to what I am now hearing. On some major revisions I could tell and reported but most I can't. Too subtle for my old man ears.

Funny, that's probably what I'm hearing as pre-6.0 I always turned Triode Hardness down around 3 - 4 and Transformer Match down just a bit - on every preset. There were so many comments about only having to adjust TMB with 6.0 that I gave it a shot and didn't mess with these or other deeper parameters.

This is such a delicately tweakable piece of gear that the same couple of small tweaks on all presets can make the whole Axe brilliant or unusable to each individual - luckily we can adjust these parameters and fine tune the Axe to our tastes.

I think things change from night to night sometimes...

"I'm not sure what happened... it sounded great last night, but tonight something is off".....

The human ear is definitely not consistent...at least mine isn't.

Back
Top Bottom