"Almost mature"

casketshrine

Inspired
So heres the million dollar question (or maybe not but whatever :)):

Will there be any more firmware updates for Ultra (possibly with some enhanced flavor of G2 technology and more amp sims)?

Just curious to know since FA website read "almost mature" when referring to last gen units. I just bought an Ultra off a member here and I am wondering if there will be more goodness released for it.

The question has been asked before here, and there has been no definitive answer. Though I must say that that the firmware update that was released when the Axe II was announced is killer.

FW "II" seems a nice place to stop ;)
I believe that in his heart Cliff would want to offer a few more amps eventually, but in practice may be too busy and loving to develop the II more. I wouldn't blame him and if it ever comes, I would guess it's waaaaay off.

Wonder what FA development team has to say about this. I hope they do give the Ultra owners a little bit more juice for their units. If they do, it will be quite awesome of them.

Wonder what FA development team has to say about this. I hope they do give the Ultra owners a little bit more juice for their units. If they do, it will be quite awesome of them.
As an Axe user I'd want every amp spot filled.
As a CD buyer, I'd wish every artist filled the full CD.
But in the end, you gotta be real.

As a developer I'd know full well people want more after that, so what's the point?
There's plenty of amps and the people crying for more are often those that just like to collect instead of actually play and spend some effort.

Me, I am in both camps :p
It's a shame that the amps seem to have to be measured in different ways for I and II. If not I would surely bless the I with more and more amps as a developer. But not too soon. Gotta think commercial as well ;)

Last edited:
"I'm reserving what little is left for amp models."

Based on early info, I was always lead to believe there was space reserved for about 200 amps, which I figured would/could not be used up otherwise. I still think that. Who is this Cliff character anyway?? ;)

I think it has the last upgrade unless something very compelling is discovered. You'd think they'd give a definitive, official answer, but, they haven't been motivated to yet.

Same thread, regarding Axe FX II:

"1. Bazillions. The II's firmware ROM is four times bigger than the Ultra."

So, IOW, the Ultra has space for a quarter bazillion amp models. :D

My own personal expectation is that Cliff and team will dedicate their efforts towards the Axe II. As far as firmware updates go, I try to regard any product I buy as a finished thing as of the time of purchase. Anything that is run by firmware has the potential to gain functionality over time, but the manufacturer has no obligation along this line unless it was a condition of the sale.

Thinking of it in that light, I have been pleasantly surprised over and over by each Axe FX firmware update. It feels time and again like Cliff has given me more than I originally paid him for.

The expectation that I've set for myself is that the Ultra is done. I wasn't the earliest adopter but an early one and I've been fortunate enough to have had over 50 firmware updates so I am at peace if there isn't another.

If someone made a more recent purchase and has heard all the talk of firmware updates it might be harder to set the same expectation.

Even if the intention was to release another one with newer amp models I expect the release of the II to play out over a long time and I think that trumps anything new for the Ultra.

Here's an insane idea....
Fractal "sells" an upgraded larger flash memory chip with extra features on it (amps,effects,etc) that we can install in our standard or ultra models.
This is an alternative for people who cannot afford the II.
To me, this is a "win win" situation.
Remember my royalties Fractal! lol

Last edited:
I don't think fractal will or can afford to just abandon their products when there's more room on them. I don't reckon that's how they'll play it. Next time we see a firmware upgrade for the axe 2, I'll bet they'll be one for the ultra at the same time, untill they declare the ultra full.

I'm betting you're a pretty poor guy!? :p

No not really, just understand that a company has to stand by it's products, if it doesn't... As soon as there's competition, which there will be, fractal could well go under from lost buisness, not what I'd like to happen, but I'm sure the guys at fractal realise this too.

As has been said earlier - they HAVE given a definitive answer on this one. Any future updates for Standards and Ultras will be amp sims only.

Fairly definitive id say.

Hi,
new amp or cab sims would be completely unnecessary - there are enough ones in the Axe. It would be a sad decision if updates would only target towards amps or cabs. It would be better to give us some of the FX-enhancements - e.g. the Hold-Switch of the delay.

Maybe - BUt its how there implimented that matters.

Something lik eyou suggest will take up more processing power to make happen - and thats what the gen 1 modells are lacking now. Extra Amp sims dont take any my processing power, just space in the Flash.

Basically anything cliff gives STandard/Ultras in the future cant require any more power however there is a little Flash left.

Back
Top Bottom