USB Cable Quality

Thanks guys. Appreciated. Trying to get my head around this though and apologies if I'm asking a dumb-ass question. I only record guitar and direct out from the Axe if that clarifies. I want to use the Genelecs not the internal Imac speakers for general youtube etc, use. Confused as to how to do that without the Apogee interface which I'm anxious to ditch. The less possessions I have in my life the better. Can I still ditch the duet? Confused :( Apologies again to all who are trying to help.

Last edited:
I want to use the Genelecs not the internal Imac speakers for general youtube etc, use.

I would think this is possible. The AFX II is Audio Class Compliant...which means Mac OS should see it as any other audio device. Think of it as the Duet being built into the Axe-Fx.

THanks BK. But are you saying that I have to turn on the Axe 2 to hear, for example, Youtube audio on the Imac via the Genelecs??? Sounds weird. But hey ho, what do I know?

THanks BK. But are you saying that I have to turn on the Axe 2 to hear, for example, Youtube audio on the Imac via the Genelecs??? Sounds weird. But hey ho, what do I know?

Yes, the AFX II would have to be turned on.

Hi Folks, just a few quick observations on this issue. Firstly if you know absaloutly F**All about something you should probably not tout yourself as an authority on the subject as sooner or later someone is going to make you look like the goose that you are. Digital cables are not all the same, and they do NOT "work or not work", they are susceptible to two major issues namely induced electro-magnetic interference and resistance at the connectors.
Electro-magnetic interference is simple, lay two cables next to each other on the ground. To one of them connect a load (like an amp) on one end and to the other end connect a mains voltage. On the second cable connect a volt meter between any of the cores and earth. When you switch the mains power on you will clearly see the voltmeter flicker. This is caused by the magnetic field generated around the power cable inducing a voltage in the other cable. This is the basis of operation of nearly all electrical equipment like transformers and motors. Now when you have a digital cable that has a low voltage like 5V switching on and off thousands of times a second this induced voltage on the cable is seen by the receiving device as a series of ON signals instead of the original signal. So when you are on recording the last bar of your masterpiece and your wife switches on the washing machine in the next room you get a glitch. How do we stop this? With a Faraday cage or simply put a good cable shield that intercepts the magnetic field and sends the voltage to ground. Cheap cables tend to have poor shields simply because shields are expensive to make in a cable and constitute a substantial portion of the total cable cost.
Cable end connections are a no-brainer, if you use cheap plumbers solder with 10% silver content to manufacture your cable, you will get corrosion, and corrosion equals resistance to current flow and resistance equals voltage drop, so what started out as 5V at the source derogates to 3.5V for example by the time it reaches the receiving end. Most digital systems working on a voltage like 5V will consider the signal to be ON at about 3V and OFF at about 1.5V so put a tiny bit of interference or resistance on a signal and it is very easy to misinterpret the state.
So, yes, the cheap cable may work perfectly the day you plug it in but sooner or later you will see the error of you ways. By the way I do not sell cables but am a control systems engineer and I work with digital networks in harsh environments all the time and have seen these problems hundreds of times.
I also think that you are insane if you spend $500 on a cable, $20 will get you a perfectly good cable, $2 will not.
Cheers Simon
Axe <---> (o)===:::

I've got some $5 cables that i've had for years... They work perfect, I worked at an electronics store about ten years ago and I can't tell you how many "quality" $30-$40 gold plated ended USB cables came back because they stopped working in a short period of time, and from personal experience, interference won't be an issue unless you leave your cabling in a rats nest behind your desk which I'd hope that anyone spending $2200 on a axe 2 would have more common sense than that. That bring said, I will be using a nice shielded cable with mine when I get it, and I guarantee it costs $10-15 tops.

Eric Johnson uses different gauge speaker cables between head and cabinet depending on the tone he wants .. Also take my IRenew, I think it works and isn't that the difference.... :p

Seriously? ..... Just wow!

yes its true he likes a thinner gauge for lead and a heavier gauge for rythem.. I'm not sure if the interviews where he talks about his equipment is on youtube but watch if you get the chance.. He even said he could tell the difference in alkaline vs standard batteries in his pedals :O he has an ear developed way beyond me.... very interesting stuff

I really have to disagree with the statement that $20 will get you a quality cable and $2 will not. Quality and price do not go hand in hand.

I've had a ton of cables from monoprice. Cat6, SPDIF, Component, USB etc etc and not had any issues with any of them.

Maybe they sell in such quantities and the packaging is simple they can keep the price down and still provide quality.

I hope nobody things Monster Cables are quality because they cost more!!

Mark

Eric Johnson uses different gauge speaker cables between head and cabinet depending on the tone he wants .. Also take my IRenew, I think it works and isn't that the difference.... :p
LOL - the irony is that INSIDE "most" cabs is 22/24-gauge wire going from jack to speaker! Open one up, take a look!!.. They are mostly built like that. Unless your speaker is 50+ feet from the amp output, the difference between cable gauges/types is almost irrelevant. Minimal signal loss, and definitely not audible to most people. I'm not going to say EJ can't tell, but most [for sure] can't, especially with a guitar cab on the other end of a TWO FOOT length of speaker cable from amp head to cab!!!
Those cabs are not even full-range, so even tho' a 100 foot run of 14-gauge speakon may have a little signal loss into a full-range bi-amped speaker, its mostly imperceptible. Into a guitar cab.. not!

@s0c9 I would hope if EJ really perceives a difference in his head to cab speaker cable, that he (his tech) has changed the wire in the cab to a beefier gauge to his liking. I highly doubt he would overlook something like that based on his amazing ear (batteries really??)

Now on the battery issue, dying batteries sound different, maybe he likes that one dies faster and gets to his favorite tone faster or something? Brand new in a blind hearing test I don't think there is any way to tell the difference. If he can then dang that dude.has.some ears on him !

Back
Top Bottom