USB Cable Quality

Dolphin79

Hello,
Just a quick question about USB cables. Now that the Axe-Fx II will have USB connectivity does the quality of the cable used to connect the Axe II to a computer matter? For example, will a user benefit from purchasing say a $500 Audio Quest Diamond USB cable or would a $10 USB cable you find at a stand by a cashier at a Best Buy or CompUSA suffice and why? What differences would the two extremes in cable quality bring to the table or Axe II in our case? Thank so much for any and all replies. They are greatly appreciated.

Hey, if you've got $500 to spend on a USB cable, I have some land in Florida you might be interested in. ;)

Buy the $10 cable and don't worry about it.

USB is a digital cable....so it is only "0"s and "1"'s...they either get there or they don't...there is no middle ground as far as audio quality goes.

You only have to really care about built quality of the connectors, some are cheap and break easily others are more robust...but you certainly don't have to pay silly money to get a decent USB cable. Just get ones that you can find that looks and feels well made.

Same with HDMI cables for TVs... Just get well made ones, the snake oil type cables are just total BS in the digital world.... In most cases.

To be fair the $10 may not last the life of you FXII, it is probably built poorly and maybe prone to interferance. Maybe jump up to the $30 market and you should be fine. $500 WTF are you serious lol who buys something like that, the worlds a crazy place

"High-end" digital cables are one of the biggest scams on the market. There is no difference in signal quality between the cheapest and most expensive USB, Firewire, HDMI or any other cable that carries a digital signal.

Get one that looks sturdy, maybe with gold plated connectors.
Should not be more then $30

Now if it's a 100 feet cable then it's a different story......

8)

I dunno if were not allowed to recommend cables specifically, but monoprice.com has always been awesome for any cable ive needed. Even some decent analog audio cables...

Gold plated connectors do absolutely nothing for a USB cable expect jack up the price, buy a sturdy cable that is as cheap as possible. It either works or it doesn't, no magic there.

I dunno if were not allowed to recommend cables specifically, but monoprice.com has always been awesome for any cable ive needed. Even some decent analog audio cables...

+1 on that they are very good and great prices. All my patch cables going into m,y Echo Layla3G are monoprice-some trs, some reg. Nice folks also

USB cable- don't worry about it.

Now if you are dying to spend some money- get a decent power cable for the unit.
Should be able to get a decent one for less than 50$ really.
They do make a difference. Have been in high end audio for years. A lot of crazy stuff, but there is something to it.
Good power cables, and decent analog cables, and speaker wire are all worth spending a little bit on.
Nothing crazy is needed-just ones with good pure wire and good connectors.

And for the life of you-have your unit in a decent surge protector. The AXE FX units are computers.

Don't buy the high end power cable crap either, I mean no offense, but all the wiring in your wall is 14 gauge romex copper, maybe 12 if you're lucky, anything bigger than that and you're wasting your money on snake oil.

Don't buy the high end power cable crap either, I mean no offense, but all the wiring in your wall is 14 gauge romex copper, maybe 12 if you're lucky, anything bigger than that and you're wasting your money on snake oil.

That is your opinion.
I actually make my own power cables for 30$ and they are 12ga and they do make a difference.
Do as you wish, though for sure.

That is your opinion.
I actually make my own power cables for 30$ and they are 12ga and they do make a difference.
Do as you wish, though for sure.

If you've got 12 gauge in your wall, then no argument, 12 gauge cables are a good idea.

I agree with everyone that has mentioned monoprice. I've bought a ton of stuff from them. Highly recommended and great service. I even placed one order and in less than 30 minutes it had shipped and i had a tracking number.

Don't want to hijack this thread but I think it is in the same ballpark; what about cable length? Are we stuck with the conventional pc cable length ideal of 6 ft? My axe is in a place where about 12 feet of midi cable keeps the cables routed to my computer nicely and the cables stay hidden and out of the way. What can we expect in regards to cable length when using USB with the AxeII?

Back
Top Bottom