FM3 Firmware Version 6.00 beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
My two cents….. Loaded Beta 6.3 and the new FM3-edit. I have an issue most users may not….. My band does covers of 450+ songs. I have built each song as a separate preset with the correct amp used by the original guitar player and have the presets in alphabetical order (I bring a laptop to gigs so I can load as needed). Anyway…. For every one preset I now check that’s OK, two are all muffled or darker or whatever. So now I have determine if I want to feel the pain of fixing all the bad presets, or…. just roll back to version 5 and go through all the pain and suffering later….

My two cents….. Loaded Beta 6.3 and the new FM3-edit. I have an issue most users may not….. My band does covers of 450+ songs. I have built each song as a separate preset with the correct amp used by the original guitar player and have the presets in alphabetical order (I bring a laptop to gigs so I can load as needed). Anyway…. For every one preset I now check that’s OK, two are all muffled or darker or whatever. So now I have determine if I want to feel the pain of fixing all the bad presets, or…. just roll back to version 5 and go through all the pain and suffering later….

450 songs!? Daaang no way I could remember that many songs. My hats off to you. Considering the numbers involved I probably would stick with 5.03. I’ll be trying out 6 tomorrow and hopefully just minor adjustments required. Best luck man.

This is definitely one of the downsides to evolving modeling software. The more presets you use for a given situation, the more exposed you are to core software changes. I definitey feel for you. That is a lot presets. Good luck. Hopefully it won't involve major changes, but more like minor tweaks. Also, as you go through the changes, you might be able to identify certain changes that are common to all presets that may become quick minor changes to most presets. Here's hoping!

Curious if there is an amp block reset etc required for this update like when we went from Ares to Cygnus? Or just minor adjustment if required?

It's now built in. Just go to SETUP: FC: Reset and you'll find a utility to load it automatically.
Of course, the old files and instructions still work too, and those are on the FM3 downloads page as usual:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm3-downloads/
Thank you for your help. Is a new version of the footswitch layout available, so the setlist function can bei used with the footswitches or is it necessary to change an existing preset? Thank you you in advance!

After doing an A/B of V.5 & V.6 Beta, I can definitely tell V6 is a bit darker for my band's live preset, but V6 Beta has better feel (best word to describe it) while playing.

I don't have as many presets as @Master of Nothing so it was an easy adjustment for me, but I absolutely see where they're coming from.

Besides that, I don't have any of the aforementioned issues as others have stated.

Overall, super pleased / stoked.

I played some clean notes with my bass with the Beta 3 yesterday. The feeling impoved a lot. It sounds even more natural like before. I can not tell what new features are responsible for that. I guess it is the combination of all improvements in the amp modelling. Thanks a lot.
The decrease in CPU Usage is remarkable. At some presets I can increase the quality of the reverb or the preamp in the cab block. In one preset I now can use the third oscilator in the synth block. Thanks also for that.

Hi @rglr,
Here comes the presets and descriptions as discussed in beta2.
Thx,
Joakim

Now on beta 3
Windows 10

1) Compression standard values
For steps, see below
Preset created by adding the latest deluxe reverb factory preset
E.g. Deluxe Verb No switches

2) fm3-edit lag when having 4 or more control switches (now in this version more lag from no switches and the more switches you add)
For steps, see below
Preset created by adding the latest deluxe reverb factory preset
I've setup a per-preset footswitch 1 to toggle Drive on and off
Now in beta 3, it feels slower when no control switch and then increase a lot per added ctl switch.

Deluxe Verb No switches - takes about 2-3s to toggle
Deluxe Verb 3 ctl switches - takes over 6s to
Deluxe Verb 4 ctl switches - takes over 10s to

The first post in beta 2:
2) fm3-edit lag when having 4 or more control switches
See explanation below.

Except for that everything seems to be working great. Have tested own layouts/views, midi control via airstep, expr for wah and another for global volume, standin switches, using last for control switches, control switches, songs/setlist w own view and in general and everything works great.

And what a sound! I really liked the 5.03, but 6 is at a totally another level, I seem to get stuck at every preset I test. And the bonus of getting a lot of cpu deduction is wonderful! Many many thanks FAS team!!

When cyling through them e.g. from first to last. Reproduce:
reset the channel. Analog then have 2 ms/100ms
Change to Compander; 10ms
Change to Dynamicomp 0.36ms/140ms
then all the rest even when I go back to the Analog have 0.36ms/140ms and not the default value
Also the Dynamics Processor doesn't seem to do anything. Gain is not moving and I dont hear any difference having it on or off
(Compander seem to have 10ms, rest keeps the 0.36ms/140ms)

2) fm3-edit lag when having 4 or more control switches
When there's no control switches turning on and off effects via footswitch (internal) goes fast.
When adding up to three control switches, it's ok lag. When adding the fourth it takes about 10s before it shows in the fm3-edit.

Attachments

• 6.0 beta 3 ctl switches and compression parameters.zip
    12 KB · Views: 9
Did you hit refresh settings in the drop Down after loading the new firmware ?
I have the same issue with Beta 3 - I do not see any of the Channels, Types, or Library's for any selected block. I have done the Refresh and it did not give me any errors. I have powered off and back on and still do not see these.

1667394985806.png

Thank you for your help. Is a new version of the footswitch layout available, so the setlist function can bei used with the footswitches or is it necessary to change an existing preset? Thank you you in advance!
Our web site and this forum will an FM3 layouts for the Setlist/Song feature. I'll post a separate thread.

Last edited:
I have the same issue with Beta 3 - I do not see any of the Channels, Types, or Library's for any selected block. I have done the Refresh and it did not give me any errors. I have powered off and back on and still do not see these.

View attachment 110633
For all experiencing problems like this you may need to refresh FM3-Edit to pick up the new firmware. So do this:

1. Choose the "Settings->About" menu item on FM3-Edit and verify you have version 1.05.10
2. Choose the "Settings->Refresh After New Firmware" menu item in FM3-Edit

FM3-Edit will then go through and re-read the new definitions and sync up with the firmware.

First of all many thanks to the Fractal team for this great update.

My observations so far on beta 3:
  • Boot time is identical, c. 27 seconds
  • CPU improvements
Factory presetfw 5.03fw 6.00 beta 3
Petrucci Rig FM359.7 %56.6 %
Synth Lineup FM377.6 %75.6 %
Leon's Live FM377.1 %75.0 %
Bond...James Bond57.0 %53.6 %
Crystal Verb64.8 %61.3 %
  • I tested a lot the setlist features. I have seen no errors, functionality is identical to FX III.
  • When switching scenes FM3-Edit is very slow updating the grid. It takes c. 5 seconds to update the bypass status of all blocks. This does not apply to the hardware unit.

Run the correct version of FM Edit if you’re not already doing that. Mentioned above a couple posts ago. Best luck!
Someone also pointed me to the Beta 2 thread which has the latest FM3-EDIT files which once installed I am back seeing the Channel/Type/Library again. Thanks to everyone who helped me regarding this. FYI - I am on MAC running the new Ventura 13.0 OS by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom