For the curious - some Helix user feedback starts to roll in

Rockguitarzan

Experienced
For the curious - some Helix user feedback starts to roll in. This guy did have The Good and The Bad to say....then touched on some surprising short comings....

"THE UGLY
Why do I feel like I am the villager shouting "The Emperor has no clothes" when it comes to Line6. The lack of amp models and particularly effects models on this unit is shocking and in my opinion unacceptable for a unit this expensive. Cheap $150 pedals match this unit for the number of effect emulations. Most boutique effects and even very commonly used ones are totally missing with the exception of a few (would love to see a "reverse" effect btw). The lack of selection on even basic bread and butter effects is abysmal. I believe there is only one phaser option other than a mod/phaser. The one phaser has almost no controls and does not even allow the number of steps to be selected, e.g. 4 steps, 8 steps, 12 steps. There is no biphase option as far as I know. There are again, shockingly few distortion and overdrive pedal choices although this is probably the best populated of the categories and it is still pathetic for a unit of this price and potential. There are zero, I repeat zero reverb emulations other than Line6 emulations, no Lexicon, nothing! The list goes on and on as in, there are very few options in every effect category. Wow! This is a situation that Line6 absolutely must remedy! What gives guys? This is simply unfair and needs to be fixed with software updates. I agree with people that say, "better one good effect than ten crappy emulations" but this is just ridiculous! Hire some programmers, get them with some musicians with good ears and please address this. It is an outrage that so little effort was put into providing adequate choices and options. How can you guys not see this is a huge problem? Looking forward to firmware updates that include new effects! If more and I mean many more pedal choices are coming in the future please let us know or the usual trolls and idiots will start saying that we don't need them and picking a fight with everyone who is pointing out such an obvious shortcoming in what appears to be such a stellar piece of hardware. I promise you, the majority of your general user base needs, wants, and IMHO at this price point, deserves more high quality pedal choices in every category! Thanks!"

It will be interesting to see if they add models on updates or if they do the "your choice" microtransaction route.

That was poorly written and more poorly argued. It was more opinion than evidence. From where did it originate? A link to the original would be helpful.

And there are some who say it sounds amazing and is on par with Axe and Kemper. So, until I play, feel and hear it in person none of it means jack squat to me. At least I'm hearing sounds in some of the clips that I like, whether or not they sound like what they're supposed to emulate.

It does sound like the effects side is sub par and that is very strange considering the number of effects in the M13 series. Maybe they have to completely redo the models in the new software so they sound good. But I agree with the post that for the price there should be more amps and more effects. The phase shifter is probably the one I'd choose, but the limitations are a bit bizarre.
They said the effects are all new and redone from what was in the m series. I'm curious how they compare with the axe fx 2 effects though.

So, you don't know yet you say it's overpriced and over hyped. No basis.

No, I don't have one.

I don't have to sit and play through one to form an opinion that it is overpriced and over hyped (IMO). Perhaps adding IMO would've made you feel better?

This thread is silly. I own a Helix although I still haven't decided if I will keep it yet I might even get an AX8. I have no desire to go out of my way and bash the Axe II infact I'd say it's a great piece of of gear. It doesn't have to mean the Helix isn't great as well.... Why can't people accept they're both quality units?

They both are, for different reasons.

With the AX8, people now have an opportunity to have first class amp modeling and effects at a much lower price point, with plenty of features, seemingly simple UI, and is an ideal solution for gigging musicians (a product many have asked for a quite a while now). High build quality (an educated assumption, based on my own experience with FAS), Made the USA. The great price is the law of supply and demand at work, and is nothing to balk at, for sure. Thing is, there was plenty of excitement before the price was even announced. Axe FX users already know that it should offer the same experience as the Axe FX II.

Helix is an advancement in Line 6's modeling, and certainly a strong attempt to push the user interface beyond what we've seen before, building on their long time reputation in the process. Sure, the jury is still out. It will take time to see how people use it and how it compares to the many other good products out there, and how they support it long term. There's obviously a lot of flexibility in price, as one person got nearly $450 knocked off the original price, for whatever that's worth.

I agree, but your observation about UI makes me wonder: Why aren't people doing the obvious thing where one can configure the device with a tablet or phone, via an app? For example, take the Axe-FX's grid concept: One should be able to drag boxes with one's finger on an iPhone 6S+! :)

Because $900 is pretty much for dragging blocks ;)
Obvious Apple hater indeed ^^

I don't have to sit and play through one to form an opinion that it is overpriced and over hyped (IMO). Perhaps adding IMO would've made you feel better?

I don't feel it is overpriced. I'm always amazed what Line6 is available to deliver for the price. A color LCD is expensive as are all those little LCDs for each switch. Look at the Mastermind GT or the LF12+. Those have LCDs for each switch and they cost about the same as the Helix and they're just MIDI controllers.

I agree, but your observation about UI makes me wonder: Why aren't people doing the obvious thing where one can configure the device with a tablet or phone, via an app? For example, take the Axe-FX's grid concept: One should be able to drag boxes with one's finger on an iPhone 6S+! :)

Additional cost for wireless hardware, ios and android software development costs, consistent app uppdates which are a pain and potentially poor performance.

Back
Top Bottom