Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Released

Just to double check... you don't have a problem with this:

1. Switch to Das Metall.
2. Set gain to 4. Sat button on. Block output level to -3dB.
3. Play a series of chords.
4. Switch to any other amp.
- Output is very loud, and possibly clipping depending on your settings.

You may say "well why not just use the master volume" and the answer is: I've already got my tone at that point. I just want it louder. Turning up the master is going to introduce sag and bloom that I don't want.

In the prosess of building patches you have to balance the volume between amps. Some amps are louder than other.
If you have MV on 3, then switch to an amp with MV on 10 as a default, it will be loud.

Seriously ... turn that knob and leave it at where it sounds best to you.
Yes thanks for the advise, sure i done that, it's just a lot noisier when i increased to the drive amount i had before (in 14.2) by ear, what's wrong to ask about differences there after the new drive taper thing.. apart from that you are all so perfectionists too with values of the amp parameters and other effects here.

What would be Drive at 6 i had before, in the new Fw exact actually? There are values behind the knob what made the change.At the moment i turned it from 6 to 8.

Ears my friend, not eyes. I wish Cliff would remove the knob hash marks and the knob slit so you it was like an encoder and you couldnt tell where it was -- you just had to use your ears.

Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ears my friend, not eyes. I wish Cliff would remove the knob hash marks and the knob slit so you it was like an encoder and you couldnt tell where it was -- you just had to use your ears.

Lol

It's just a lot interesting (after changings..)and what goes on behind, thats why asking. Come on i used my ears, i didn't mention?!! ...

Last edited:
Guilty as charged. Old. Geezer. No life but this forum. Can't really play the guitar. Those who can't do, coach.

Sorry you are having problems.

I have been out of the loop for a while. The v15 cab samples are Hi res meaning better than my Ownhammer and ready to plug into slots as is? Sorry hard to keep up with all the new stuff....

Actually the 15b cab samples are Ultra Rez.

Still looking for a confirmation to see if the cab samples that came with public release of 15 were re-done.

Please explain.

To my mind, SAT does exactly the same as the less/more switch on the Sig X, and the same thing as the channel boosts on the Laney VH100R. IE: It brings in some LED based clipping before the tonestack, which is what those two things do in those two amps AFAIK.

Both the VHT and the Laney add another gain stage to the signal when their switches are flipped. They do not have clipping diodes in this way.

This is completely different than diode clippers. A diode clipper when added to a tube circuit WILL drop the volume considerably.

Both the VHT and the Laney add another gain stage to the signal when their switches are flipped. They do not have clipping diodes in this way.

This is completely different than diode clippers. A diode clipper when added to a tube circuit WILL drop the volume considerably.

Oh SNAP! :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, I know what the SAT switch does. I've poured over the wiki for months prior to getting my AFII, and I still use it over and above the manual now. It's a great resource. But again AFAIK, in the Sig X the 4th gain stage is LED Diode clipping. I'm going on what my amp tech told me when he serviced it. Given that the SAT switch brings in diode clipping in much the same fashion, it isn't much of a stretch to equate the two. And with that amp there is no massive volume difference between the two modes, it's pretty much limited to how saturated the tone you get is.

On the Laney VH100R when you kick in the overdrive circuit, you are in fact bringing in some diode clipping there too - again, AFAIK. Happy to be proven wrong.

This is wrong. Neither of these amps do this. You usually do not have control over adding clipping diodes. It is usually part of the circuit or not. The exception would be modded Marshall designs from the 80's.

Gosh, I really like this firmware. It's the most natural and transparent sounding Axe we've had so far. As has happened with other recent updates, I'm finding amp models to like that I didn't before. I was surprised that I don't care for the new UltraRes TV mixes, but there are so many good IR options these days that one can drown in them.

Now I'm off to install the MFC update and see whether some of my pet peeves have been knocked off under the misc. bug fixes heading.

Thanks to all at Fractal!

This is wrong. Neither of these amps do this. You usually do not have control over adding clipping diodes. It is usually part of the circuit or not. The exception would be modded Marshall designs from the 80's.

I stand corrected. Not like it matters now anyway, Cliff is introducing a preference for it.

It might just be me but the Mark IV amps are a lot easier to dial in (and a bit louder which is always good) this time around. They feel great!

This is FAS Modern with a simple TR808 and an OH HGE cab (which always kicks ass)... I tried a few other cabs and even guitars and still got the tubby, buzzy mush. No amount of dialing can get rid of it. I really didn't do too much to the patch from a stock load other than do a few things to try and tighten up the response. It sound cool on chords and such but the palm mutes are not acceptable... for me at least. Usually this combo is no fail and needs VERY little tweakage.

FWIW, I really like the cleans on FW15 but the high gain stuff just doesn't work for me. Back to 1402. I'm willing to accept that this is "more true" or "real" but when you take away tightness in favor of tubby, I think that's a step back.

I'll keep trying but I'm willing to bet something is up and it will be corrected. Just trying to help here... not trying to whine.

please excuse the playing, lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/inwcbw3qjin1qcx/FW 15 mush.wav

Here is the patch with a user cab. Still exhibiting the same stuff. You will see that there is nothing screwy going on here.

Attachments

• E - Fas Mod 15 w UC.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
This is FAS Modern with a simple TR808 and an OH HGE cab (which always kicks ass)... I tried a few other cabs and even guitars and still got the tubby, buzzy mush. No amount of dialing can get rid of it. I really didn't do too much to the patch from a stock load other than do a few things to try and tighten up the response. It sound cool on chords and such but the palm mutes are not acceptable... for me at least. Usually this combo is no fail and needs VERY little tweakage.

FWIW, I really like the cleans on FW15 but the high gain stuff just doesn't work for me. Back to 1402. I'm willing to accept that this is "more true" or "real" but when you take away tightness in favor of tubby, I think that's a step back.

Yeah, something's really up with high-gain amps on this firmware as some of us have noticed in this thread. It's been totally ignored at this point but I guess it's the same with every new firmware for a while. I'm going to test FW14 and sit it out if it's good (came straight from 13.02) but in my experience things don't stay broken for long with this unit :D

I'll keep trying but I'm willing to bet something is up and it will be corrected. Just trying to help here... not trying to whine.

please excuse the playing, lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/inwcbw3qjin1qcx/FW 15 mush.wav

Here is the patch with a user cab. Still exhibiting the same stuff. You will see that there is nothing screwy going on here.

Yeah I noticed this with modern I & II. I'm guessing either something got mixed up or and I'm leaning toward, this amp is a mixture
so being the amps are as Cliff says scary close, they no longer mesh as they used too.

I'm sure you tried it all, but I went and changed the tone stack freq to 600hz, and location to mid. Changed low res freq to 110, and that has changed it pretty nicely for me.

Back
Top Bottom