Flanger

Is there any way to have two mix controls (an internal control that blends the two signals, which is the current operation of the mix control) and an master output mix?

I have a vintage ADA Flanger that is the best sounding flanger I have heard. It has even and odd harmonics and a control pedal. I can get a good basic flanging sound with the Axe FXII but, I have not been able to duplicate all of the things I can do with my ADA Flanger with anything in the Fractal Axe FXII. I use the ADA flanger for all kinds of sounds. Not just the typical jet flanging sound. You can make the ADA sound similar to steel drums, a ray gun, etc. All kinds of things. Real over the top effects. Like the sounds Adrian Belew got out of his Electro Harmonic Polychorus. I tried duplicating the ADA control pedal function in the Axe FXII and it just didn't work or sound the same. The ADA Flanger presets posted by Fractal users I have tried failed to match what the ADA can do. I'd love to see a flanger in the Axe FXII that could really match everything the ADA can do and has the same control pedal abilities. I posted this wish a couple of years ago.

Is there any way to have two mix controls (an internal control that blends the two signals, which is the current operation of the mix control) and an master output mix?

An additional master mix would probably create undesirable level changes, because direct signal from the flanger-processed block would be mixed with additional direct signal, bypassing the flanger.
It would also make things more difficult. I see no use for this.

I haven't even attempted to find a schematic, but I bet the ADA odd/even harmonics switch is just a phase switch, like the Axe-FX's feedback phase options :)

Cliff what about increasing feedback in my preset to about 80% can you replicate it too with flanger? Can you please post a preset so i know how to set flanger to sound like that? Thanks

I don't think Cliff can share presets bc his Axe-Fx IV XL Ultra Beta presets aren't compatible with the Axe-Fx II ;-)

I can't wait to try out these settings everyone is sharing. I get more excited about FX than Amps.

To me it still sounds a bit different... are all the rest settings default? auto depth ON?
Maybe there is some eq involved in the delay block?
or maybe its just my ears are fooling me,

Yes.

I think the problem is people set the Depth too high. For slow rates the Depth should be between 10 and 20%.

This sounds exactly like your preset:
Type: Digital Mono
rate: 0.092 Hz
depth: 15%
fdbk: 57%
time: 1 ms
mix: ~ 60%

I have a vintage ADA Flanger that is the best sounding flanger I have heard. It has even and odd harmonics and a control pedal. I can get a good basic flanging sound with the Axe FXII but, I have not been able to duplicate all of the things I can do with my ADA Flanger with anything in the Fractal Axe FXII. I use the ADA flanger for all kinds of sounds. Not just the typical jet flanging sound. You can make the ADA sound similar to steel drums, a ray gun, etc. All kinds of things. Real over the top effects. Like the sounds Adrian Belew got out of his Electro Harmonic Polychorus. I tried duplicating the ADA control pedal function in the Axe FXII and it just didn't work or sound the same. The ADA Flanger presets posted by Fractal users I have tried failed to match what the ADA can do. I'd love to see a flanger in the Axe FXII that could really match everything the ADA can do and has the same control pedal abilities. I posted this wish a couple of years ago.

odd harmonics is negative feedback on the Axe-fx. I did a MOAEE of the A/DA flanger here: Fractal Audio Systems Forum - Recent Blogs Posts - Blogs
The EHX Electric Mistress actually does the steel drum type thing better IMO.

To me it still sounds a bit different... are all the rest settings default? auto depth ON?
Maybe there is some eq involved in the delay block?
or maybe its just my ears are fooling me,

Sounds pretty much the same to me, when setting AUTO DEPTH to NONE.

Did you look at the link i posted.

I opened it but got distracted before I went through it. :)

Edit: I just listened to the example and it's close but sounds almost more like a pitch shift than the real pedal. I'll give it a try and see how it sounds in the room.

Last edited:
what is the actual difference between positive and negative feedback? I assume positive means the feedback signal is in phase and negative means its 180 degrees out of phase. Is this correct?

Really good info in this thread.
I'll add it to the wiki.

Indeed.. fantastic discussion and info being shared here. I'd love to see more of this with some of the other FX blocks- this is where I fall short with the Axe...

Thanks yek for getting in the wiki..

Based on the info here, and using this video, I made an effort to dial an Unchained tone.

Flanger placed before overdriven amp.

Digital Mono
Rate 0.465
Depth 20%
Feedback 75%
Time 0.70
High Cut 8000
Drive 4.00
LFO: Sine
Auto Depth: Off
Mix 50%
Level 2.5

Last edited:
Indeed.. fantastic discussion and info being shared here. I'd love to see more of this with some of the other FX blocks- this is where I fall short with the Axe...

Thanks yek for getting in the wiki..

+1!

I was thinking the Depth on the Flanger in the Fractal was more like the Depth on my analog pedals... I guess it *is* but the increased range in the Fractal makes it seem different.

+1!

I was thinking the Depth on the Flanger in the Fractal was more like the Depth on my analog pedals... I guess it *is* but the increased range in the Fractal makes it seem different.

I think this MAY apply to other items in the Axe at times as well.. if you know how it compares to the item you're trying to replicate, then no big deal. It's when you don't know that difference and you're (I'm) shooting blind in the dark that it matters. But I like having that extra room because some gear I've owned in the past might have benefited from more range or tighter tolerances, etc. on a given dial or adjustment. All good.. really appreciate Cliff stepping in and explaining things here.. knowledge is key on success with something as powerful as the Axe FX.

Back
Top Bottom