Any P&W users on here?

Phillip_H

I'm primarily using my axe for P&W - just wondering if anyone else was doing the same thing. Maybe we could compare notes: amps, settings, strategies?

I play at church every other week or so- and yea, that's about the pattern for P&W- Vox, delay, some shimmer, etc. Yea, of course, you can do other sounds, but that's the pattern for a lot of the modern P&W. When i get in front of my desktop, I'll post my main patch- I modify it all the time, but it's the one i keep coming back to. I'd love to hear what others are using in this context.

I'm still pretty new to axe 2, but I am a p&w and rock cover band guy. I know there is others. Scott Peterson is a p&w and rock band guy also.

I'm primarily using my axe for P&W - just wondering if anyone else was doing the same thing. Maybe we could compare notes: amps, settings, strategies?

There used to be a good thread on this subject on the Ultra board. There are quite a few of us. So far I've just used my Ultra as a preamp for an acoustic guitar in church.

I'm doing mostly worship sets. My base patch at the moment is a jumpered Marshall and greenbacks because Rock \m/ And of course multi-delay with 1/4 and dotted 1/8ths. Guitar wise the HSS warmoth strat is getting a lot of use. Mostly the neck single and rolling off the treble to beef things for chorus' etc.

What amp (model) you use matters less than the quality of the foldback. Last Sunday I had a below average wedge and it was tough going. Turning it up helped some. One of these days I really need to get my own Mackie HD1221. But money *sniff*

I have some IA's setup: a dirty block available for moar gain, and a PEQ for solos / bridge pickup EQ re-balancing.

Last edited:

First thing that came to mind is Steve Vai, Passion & Warfare. ;)

All kidding aside, there are lots of folks on this forum that use their Axe-Fx unit in a church setting. I would imagine if you search for specific criteria related to what you are trying to achieve, you will turn up a lot of threads. Sometimes a Google search with "Axe-Fx" in your search will yield good results as well.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck to ya!

The AC-30 TB is really nice.
I set gain around noon, leaving room to roll back gtr volume for cleaner stuff.
Nice, natural, spongy compression.
Drive block for extra punch. TS or BB Pre.

Find a cab IR that works for you.
With my live gig, the new stock Ultra Res 2-12 Fane is working well.
Or my own IR of a Weber Blue Dog, SM-57 or FatHead.

Delay Y-X for the cliche dot 8th and ducking for leads.
Multi delay for ambient swells, octave up shimmer.

Amp trem is nice.

I sneak in some of the more ambient presets with filter, trem, etc. if they fit.

The Axe II really is a great tool for going direct to FOH.

I also change my patches weekly, and use different guitars from week to week. So the patch/amp model used really depends on the guitar and the songs each week. I make no attempt to sound just like the original recordings, other than using the dotted 8th delays when necessary.

Last Sunday I used the DC30, FTR37, AC20, and Rectoverb amp models. This week calls for acoustic guitar on one song so I'll use the PRS Hollowbody with a patch set up with two signal chains - one for the piezo and the other for the magnetic pickups using the Euro Blue amp model.

The AxeII rules for maximum versatility when going direct!

I haven't used it live yet, but at home I'm using the Orange AD30 (scene controllers for a couple of different gain levels) into the Ownhammer Marshall 412 w/v30s (SP mix), multi delay for shimmer, 1/4 note tape delay, .1/8 analog delay, a couple of delays, micro POG and 808 up front. I also have a Friedman BE amp block set up for lead tones.

I have another variation of this setting with heavier reverb settings for more ambient tones.

I'm playing this weekend, and I'm kinda nervous about going ampless for the first time.

The last couple of times I've used the 50W Plexi with a blend of IRs that keep it in the midrange nicely. And that with a JS2400 with an Illuminator bridge and Hotrails neck. With that setup I can use the middle switch position, lifting the tone knob which gives you the single coil wiring, for clean stuff. Even in humbucker mode it cleans up nicely. I made this preset up after Cliff preached about most people making the mistake of using too much gain. Anyway, I can post the preset sometime if anyone is interested.

And of course I use the AC-30TB from time to time.

I'm really lost on creating a good ambient swell patch. And I don't even know what an octave up shimmer is. I'd like to branch out a bit (I'm more of a rock and metal guy) so any help with those would be appreciated (patch, description, whatever). Thanks.

I haven't used it live yet, but at home I'm using the Orange AD30 (scene controllers for a couple of different gain levels) into the Ownhammer Marshall 412 w/v30s (SP mix), multi delay for shimmer, 1/4 note tape delay, .1/8 analog delay, a couple of delays, micro POG and 808 up front. I also have a Friedman BE amp block set up for lead tones.

I have another variation of this setting with heavier reverb settings for more ambient tones.

I'm playing this weekend, and I'm kinda nervous about going ampless for the first time.

If you have a sound guy you trust, ask him how it sounds during rehearsal. Or better yet, stand out front during a portion of rehearsal if you have a wireless, just to hear how your stuff is working in the context.

Sounds like mine is a pretty stereotypical rig! To be honest- I've pulled most of the parts of this patch together from different sources- the amp settings I got from a user here (sorry- I forget who- but it was one of the resident U2 geniuses), the shimmer effect I nabbed and modified from one of the stock presets, etc. I think I used the EQ settings from the Ay Cee 30 patch, just cause I liked how it sounded. Frankly, there are a few issues with it- I don't like the way the Y side of the drive block effects the amp anymore- on earlier firmware, the Tube Drive didn't compress the AC30 as hard as it does now, so I almost always run this with the X side of the drive block on, which is the Blues OD. Note the tone settings on the Blues OD- it's a super bright overdrive, so I turn the tone down pretty low. When I first put this patch together, I was trying to get a good sound for the Live at Boston version of The Fly. I'm not sure I really got that, but it seems to work for praise and worship stuff! My church really likes the delay/Hillsong stuff at the moment, hence the heavy delays. One last note- I'm not really sure this is my best sound necessarily, but our sound guy asks me to go back to this one each time I try something else. :roll I'm amazed at how different this sounds through headphones and the PA system.

I'd love to hear some feedback or suggestions for improvement! Enjoy:View attachment P&W2.syx

I usually use a Gretsch 5120 with a TV Jones Classic in the bridge. Volume on Exp 1, Wah on Exp2, and Exp3 I change around depending on what I need.:encouragement:

If you have a sound guy you trust, ask him how it sounds during rehearsal. Or better yet, stand out front during a portion of rehearsal if you have a wireless, just to hear how your stuff is working in the context.

We actually have several volunteer sound guys, and they are not all created equal, if you know what I mean. We run IEMs and Aviom mixers, so I can get a pretty good idea of what I sound like in the mix. I'm just kinda anxious about how my tones are going to work out with the band. I'm planning to bring my laptop for adjustments during rehearsal (I'm still pretty uncomfortable with the front panel controls), so hopefully it'll be relatively painless.

I play P&W every most every week.

I run direct to FOH and do my thing; just use a powered monitor turned WAY down low or in-ears depending.

Talk to the sound guy before & after rehearsal. Let him know what your concerns are & ask for suggestions. Then, focus on your role & leave the sound to him.

I both play & do sound at our church, so I see both sides of this. When I play, I focus on playing & don't worry about sound. It's not something I can control.

When I do sound, I change things that need to be changed. :) If a guitar isn't fitting into the mix, I fix that. :) I don't bother the player with asking for changes, I take care of it. I may talk to them afterwards, but I don't distract them with that beforehand. Sidenote: One of the first things I changed on the board when I started doing sound was to change the in-ear mixes to pre-processing so the players can't hear the changes I make. It's distracting to them & there were times when I would boost the mids of the lead guitarist & he would then go turn down the mids on his amp. :)

Always keep in mind that your role is to help facilitate worship, not to create a performance. It's what makes P&W different from every other "gig". My advice is to free yourself from the things you can't control & focus on serving the people of your church with the musical abilities God has given you. You're there to bless them. Go do that. :)

Back
Top Bottom