• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Do You Hear a Difference

Do You Hear a Difference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In what way?

Well could be my imagination, but 1M seems to have a bit less bite in the upper mids /highs, which gives the feeling of a touch more thickness in the low mids. But the only way I've notice is with effects before amp ! Might not make any difference otherwise? Haven't compared with just amp and cab.

Well could be my imagination, but 1M seems to be a bit less bite in the upper mids /highs, which gives the feeling of a touch more thickness in the low mids. But the only way I've notice is with effects before amp ! Might not make any difference otherwise? Haven't compared with just amp and cab.

It would make no difference with just amp and cab as Auto would set it to 1M. Please see the manual for details.

My reasoning being, I hear as much difference in changing that parameter ,as the difference in the clips!

I like the second part of the first clip the best, whatever that is... So, yes, I hear a difference and I also have a preference. I still don't know which is which though... :mrgreen

Tests like this are a crap shoot IMO because you could just post 2 clips from the Axe FX, say one is the triaxis, and no one would know the better, just saying...

Either way I can visually see a slight difference in the wav on some peaks but I can't hear if there is any difference due to the reverb smoothing.

I do hear a difference and I noticed it right away. I'm willing to bet big money that the first half of the first clip is the Axe and vice versa for the second clip.

There is a certain something in the low mids of the Axe that does seem a smidge compressed or stuffy. I strongly emphasize the subtle difference. When listening to the real amp, I feel a little more pushy thump in the lows and an open quality with a touch more transient spikes if you will.

I know that FW 13 has brought us so so close, I'm much happier now and feel that I am making much better music now that I have the Axe. Before FW 13, I always seemed to notice a bit of a plasticy, thick tone, this has been resolved to a great degree with the current FW, thank you FAS for taking such pride in your work.

I do hear a difference and I noticed it right away. I'm willing to bet big money that the first half of the first clip is the Axe and vice versa for the second clip.

There is a certain something in the low mids of the Axe that does seem a smidge compressed or stuffy. I strongly emphasize the subtle difference. When listening to the real amp, I feel a little more pushy thump in the lows and an open quality with a touch more transient spikes if you will.

I know that FW 13 has brought us so so close, I'm much happier now and feel that I am making much better music now that I have the Axe. Before FW 13, I always seemed to notice a bit of a plasticy, thick tone, this has been resolved to a great degree with the current FW, thank you FAS for taking such pride in your work.

You can make your check payable to Fractal Audio Systems, LLC...

The dyad in the first clip (of first pairing) sounds a little juicier and more dimensional than in the 2nd clip to me. It's not a night and day thing, but one of the characteristics I love about good tube amps is how they deal with the crunchier thing that happens when you play double stops rather than single notes when hitting a somewhat driven amp.

PS. I posted this without having read through the thread. Now that I see 1st is amp, it makes sense. Not a huge difference. I'm really glad Cliff and others worry about all the details because I like playing more than tweaking and obsessing. It's quite clear the Axe becomes better because people do sweat the tiniest details.

Last edited:
The first clip is amp then Axe. The second clip is Axe then amp.

Thats how I guessed it...

As stated, I feel it seems to be how fast the frequencies hit the ear. Almost like the AxeFx has them hit at the exact same time, while the real amp has them hit in a delay pattern. Just trying to think out of the box here on what I heard different.

Even though I hear a difference (as listed in an earlier post), I have to say that it is possible that 2 seperate Triaxis amps would have more difference from each other than what I am hearing. It is amazing how close the two sound to each other. I have more difference in tone between two Marshall heads of the same model and year.

You can make your check payable to Fractal Audio Systems, LLC...

LOL!!!!!!!

I also love how we invent adjectives to describe a guitar sound. i should try it next time I cook for my wife....

"Yes dear, the sauce has a tremendous amount of air in the low end, kind of fat at the bottom, and the crispness of the dumpling is just amazing......"

She'd probably lock me up.

Thats how I guessed it...

As stated, I feel it seems to be how fast the frequencies hit the ear. Almost like the AxeFx has them hit at the exact same time, while the real amp has them hit in a delay pattern. Just trying to think out of the box here on what I heard different.

Good Description!

Back
Top Bottom