ZZ Top Tone

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Tone Match' started by jw3571, May 16, 2017.

1. jw3571

jw3571
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Anyone have a great ZZ Top tone. If not, what amps are the best to use for them>

2. RossE

RossE
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Plexi or JMPre-1 OD2
    Celestion greenbacks
    Supposedly he rolls the treble all the way down on his rig.
    Lot's of good info on the internet, just google it......

3. Cainer

Cainer
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I've had the best luck with Marshalls (Plexi) and the bridge pickup in a Les Paul or even a Tele. I guess it also depends on what era - they got pretty processed there in the 80's ;) For that style ( at least the earlier stuff) I find just a Marshall amp with no fx is the best approach.

4. austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I'd note on older albums Billy G. sometimes used a Tweed Deluxe with Les Paul for leads, so check that out, but mostly I'd use Jumpered Plexis. For the more processed-era ZZ Top of the 80's, try the JMP-1 amp model and use the MD421 mic on greenbacks -- all juicy mids.

Cainer and bradlake like this.
  5. JT2

JT2
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

If you listen to his isolated tracks you'll be amazed at how they sound. Thin and middy. But in the context of the mix, HUGE.
    Double tracking, sustain, a spike in the EQ and digging into the strings helps. I doubt that you'd create a patch that sounds like what's in the mix. That as a stand alone patch is not very impressive. But, never give up.

6. cnaufel

cnaufel
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Very true! A had the same impression and was amazed when I heard the isolated tracks...

7. austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

YES!

If you spend any time mixing and recording, you learn this very quickly: a great, full and rich sounding guitar tone by itself does not necessarily sound great when blended together with all the other instruments going on!

Counter-intuitive, but often true, especially with bands of five or more members/instruments. It needs to be mid-dy to punch through for leads and occupy it's own sonic space without conflict with the rest of the sound.

LOVE the sound of the early ZZ Top albums (not the re-issue with there reverb-drenched drums - bleh) - that is quintessential Plexi Tone (and some Tweed amps thrown in, I believe the lead on "La Grange "may have been a Tweed Deluxe for example).

8. #8 steadystate, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    steadystate

steadystate
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Sorry for the following, but I have long-standing issues with this subject.

The intro of Tush has significant energy in my subwoofer, which is crossed over at 80 Hz. When I turn my sub off, the tone suffers. Many pro recordings feature guitars that make my sub move.

I will never subscribe to the practice of high pass filtering guitars in a mix as a given. There is no more effective way to emasculate palm mutes on the low strings, or the guitar tone in general.

The FIRST thing most board operators here do is put my axe through highpass and lowpass filters, rendering my painstaking efforts to balance my tone impotent. Instead of taking the time to balance the bandwidth of the instruments (except bass and kick), they obliterate all but the midrange, leaving a weak and bland tone. One guy used a 250 Hz lowpass filter and 4 kHz highpass. He "learned" this was the correct way to mix. My tone was ****.

Even a small amount of energy in the low end can be extremely important. The difference between a hint and none can be huge. IMOHO, many engineers are simply lazy and choose to use a sledgehammer instead of a scalpel to make their job quick and easy. They can't take the time (or don't have the skill) to balance the low/high end between the instruments (including vocals), so they simply remove all of it. A lame practice that yields a lame tone.

Again, my apologies. I do not mean to derail the thread; I only mean to point out that Billy does in fact have some lows in his tone on many of his recordings. This is part of what makes his tone exceptional to me in many cases, even though it may not be apparent (because it is done properly). Also, isolated tracks may not (and often don't) have the same eq as the release from which they came.

shasha, sheky, Cainer and 1 other person like this.
  9. barhrecords

barhrecords
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

One of the joys of playing in a rock trio is having all that room for the guitar tone.

zenaxe, JT2, mr_fender and 1 other person like this.
  10. electronpirate

electronpirate
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

My all time favorite tone of ZZ is 'Thunderbird'. To me that is huge Plexi love. Made a passable preset...

mr_fender likes this.
  11. barhrecords

barhrecords
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

The first album does it for me.

Brown Sugar or Back Door Love Affair

Mr.nobody, Narzugon and mr_fender like this.
  12. mr_fender

mr_fender
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Waitin' for the Bus and Jesus Just Left Chicago have some awesome tones too. So chewy and rich.

jefferski likes this.
  13. JT2

JT2
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Billy EQ's the crap out of his stuff. Here's a few pics of his rig EQ settings. Try JMP -1 w/ IR's F120 & F20.
    All his guitars are hollowed out, have low output pickups and 8s. So that proves string size ain't all it's cracked up to be. It helps somewhat but in a mix, mehhhh.

Attached Files: