ZOOM FP02M Expression Pedal Help?

ozanerkal

Inspired
Hi all,
I borrowed the Zoom FP02M exp. pedal today from a friend today in order to give it a shot with my Axe-Fx XL.

I attend to use it in two types of connection:
1st Type...
Into Pedal1 or 2 inputs on the back of Afx: So I connected the pedal to Pedal1 using its supplied TRS cable, set>I/O>PEDAL>PEDAL TYPE: Continuous and did calibration as instructed. Then set>I/O>CTRL>EXT CTRL 1 : Pedal1. Then I set my wah block to work with ext 1. But as a result, wah works partially, within only a little portion midway the pedal's physical range, the wah sweep moves from ~%30 to %100 (doesn't go below ~30)
Tried the same with Pedal2 input too, but no changes.
2nd Type...
Through my MIDI pedalboard (Boss FC-50).. this went very similar, but I guess it's not anybody's fault, as Boss booklet only recommends boss or roland exp. pedals, and doesn't suggest a calibration method.

If anybody has previously had success with this particular pedal, I would like to hear it, because I like it as it is small, light, seems durable (the M in the name is for metal. It's not like steel or something but i think kind of an alloy of metal and plastic, so relatively stronger than e.g. roland's ev-5) and there's a jack input in the front in case you want to use a different cable. (ev-5 has a non-removable cable)

Last edited:
And..
This info here, doesn't even exist on ZOOM's own website, so they'll owe me a favour :)
Yes, here are the dimensions of a ZOOM FP02M Expression Pedal for anyone interested and is searching for them on the net:

Whole body:
86mm x 200mm, h:70mm
Surface of the pedal:
80mm x 180mm
Weight:
~600gr. (don't have a sensitive scale, can be 500 to 700 grams)

So I played around with my FP02M this weekend, and while I can get it to go from 0-100, it does not appear to be linear at all. I go from 0 to about 80% in the first half inch or so of travel, then the rest quickly pegs it at 100. I can get this to work a little better by modifying the slope and midpoints, but all in all, not happy with it as an expression pedal.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to get a more linear response? If not....I may be looking into one of the Fractal pedals down the road.

RR

Thanks for the feedback.
Seems like your experience was way better than mine.
Still we can conclude that it's not a good match for the axe-fx at all..

My final solution in the quest for exp. pedal is a slight modification of my Dunlop Jimi Hendrix wah. (it's 20 years old and has been lying inside a box for a long time)

What I did was as simple as taking a cable with a TRS jack on one end, soldering the other end to the three tips of the 100k pot inside the wah pedal, and plugging the TRS jack into the Pedal1 input at the back panel of the Axe-Fx. Calibrate and that's all.

Now it's a wah pedal that duplicates as an exp. pedal and works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom