Zilla 4x12 Cab Pack with V30s and Creambacks [ML Sound Lab]

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
https://ml-sound-lab.com/

Cab Pack "ZILA" is an impulse response (IR) collection based on a Zilla Cabs™ Oversized 4x12 guitar cabinet loaded with Celestion™ Vintage 30 and G12H-75 speakers.

Microphones
  • Shure™ SM57
  • Shure™ SM7B
  • Shure™ SM58
  • Royer™ R121
  • Sennheiser™ e906
  • Sennheiser™ MD421
  • Beyerdynamic™ M160
  • Neumann™ KM184
This Cab Pack comes with 5 brightness variations for each microphone and 5 real life multi-mic mixes.

How does it sound? Clips are on the way but I'll do my best to describe it by words. Completely different than "the Zilla sound" that I had in mind based on the 2x12s that were super neutral. To me this almost sounds like a mixture of an Orange 4x12 high end and a Mesa Oversize 4x12 low end. It has that massive low end rumble and the high end range is shifted a bit higher although it's still super pleasant and smooth at the top. When I compared this pack to the MEGA OVERSIZE and MARS SILVER packs it's way more direct sounding. It actually makes those two awesome packs sound phasy in comparison. It's safe to say that this is something completely different than I've ever experienced before and I like it. :)

Ask me any questions! I'm here to help and answer and remember to follow this thread if you want to hear the clips coming tomorrow.

https://ml-sound-lab.com/products/zila

Last edited:
That must be due to the G12H. ;-)
Okay, you convinced me. I‘ll have to buy this pack, too.
Yes the Creamback is essentially a high powered Greenback. :) Because it's brighter it doesn't really seem like there's any wattage difference in the cab vs V30s. Also I have to say that this pack has the best blend MD421 captures I've ever done. I had a little bit of MD421 on virtually all of the mixes I made. On it's own its pretty bright but it's really good for smoothing the overall sound.

I'm not sure which amp pack would go with the Zilla, I usually have a cab that matches the brand of amps but never say never. :)

The upcoming Archon:D

Hey Mikko did you check out beta 5 yet
I know the palm mutes on the real mesa markv was one thing you had mentioned was still “different “ between modelling and real amp
Curious to your thoughts now

The upcoming Archon:D

Hey Mikko did you check out beta 5 yet
I know the palm mutes on the real mesa markv was one thing you had mentioned was still “different “ between modelling and real amp
Curious to your thoughts now
Didn't try the Mark series yet! Will have to check it out but the difference is IMO not in modeling accuracy. The real Mark IVs Vs simply have a lot less low end in the preamp section.

Interested in this cab, so I just bought my first pack from you.

Is there any information about the provided mixes?

I'm primarily looking for "V30+H75 with R121/57". Is it provided or should I mix it myself?

Last edited:
Interested in this cab, so I just bought my first pack from you.

Is there any information about the provided mixes?

I'm primarily looking for "V30+H75 with R121/57". Is it provided or should I mix it myself?
Hey! I noticed a familiar name in my notifications. :) The mixes in these packs all have multiple mics in them but the balance always starts from 2-3 mics. I was really impressed with how well the 421 performed with this cabinet so I'm sure most of those mixes started with a 421 and one of the Shure mics and then blending in some bass with ribbons. I usually make sure there's at least one 121-57 mix in there for "obvious reasons" but I found the Creamback to deliver that low end even with a dynamic mic so I felt no need for it. That being said feel free to mix the single mics, it's pretty realistic with the regular (raw) captures that are realistically in phase meaning that you get a subtle phase the further the mic position is from the center of the speaker. :)

Reactions: yek
I've been using the 2x12 Zilla's for almost everything I play, so I knew I had to grab this pack.
And holy crap I'm glad I did because these IRs have quickly become my new default.

Thank you for these quality IRs, I'm looking forward to what else you have in store.

I've been using the 2x12 Zilla's for almost everything I play, so I knew I had to grab this pack.
And holy crap I'm glad I did because these IRs have quickly become my new default.

Thank you for these quality IRs, I'm looking forward to what else you have in store.
That's some great feedback right there. This pack definitely has that Zilla sound to it but the overall EQ balance, low end oomph and high end clarity is "bigger". :) The 2x12 Zilla pack has been hyped so much and even used by Periphery on their newest album that'll be released very soon. I can't wait to see how many people and who end up using this pack in future.

I liked your demo more than Zachs ;). That fat recto chug sound is more up my alley. Gonna have to get some of your cab packs soon.
I think it demonstrates that the pack works for different types of players. :) I went for a fat "dare I say it numetal" kind of sound.

I almost feel like purchasing this now just in celebration of you Fins and your sisu after that immaculate win by Valtteri Bottas today.

Would also like to take the opportunity and formally prostrate myself in pleading for you to make a cab pack with WGS Retro 30's in this very cabinet. I would finally have everything I need to take my analog equipment and sound with me digitally, with impulses made by my favorite producer

I almost feel like purchasing this now just in celebration of you Fins and your sisu after that immaculate win by Valtteri Bottas today.

Would also like to take the opportunity and formally prostrate myself in pleading for you to make a cab pack with WGS Retro 30's in this very cabinet. I would finally have everything I need to take my analog equipment and sound with me digitally, with impulses made by my favorite producer
Valtteri is awesome although Kimi is where it will always be at for me. I've been to F1 twice and the first time Kovalainen (another Finn) won and Kimi was third and two years ago I went to Monza.

About WGS, I've only really shot the Veteran for the Suhr pack where I think I preferred the V30 over the Veteran but I'll definitely need to jump outside Celestion at some point. Oh boy do I like old Celestions. Anything that's at least as old as I am sounds great. The newer stuff can sometimes sound a bit meh. :)

Valtteri is awesome although Kimi is where it will always be at for me. I've been to F1 twice and the first time Kovalainen (another Finn) won and Kimi was third and two years ago I went to Monza.

About WGS, I've only really shot the Veteran for the Suhr pack where I think I preferred the V30 over the Veteran but I'll definitely need to jump outside Celestion at some point. Oh boy do I like old Celestions. Anything that's at least as old as I am sounds great. The newer stuff can sometimes sound a bit meh. :)

I agree with all of this

Kimi I think has been my favorite on the grid for some time. He won the first race I ever watched years ago thinking back on it, but it wasn't until later he became my favorite

Having owned your Suhr pack I also remember preferring the V30 over the Veteran. I go back and forth between your V30 captures (especially Mesa) and my own attempts at capturing my WGS Retro 30 for pretty much everything

Back
Top Bottom