Zero Fret

Tonedeaf

Power User
The guitars that I've owned with zero frets. A Hofner that was a guitar version of Paul's bass, and a Framus Strat copy, both from the 60's, and a Carvin from the early 70's had exceptional action. I think it's because a zero fret is like having a nut cut more perfect than can be done by hand. So why don't you see them more often? BTW, the Framus had a neck made of wood that was designed for airplane propellers. Don't think I have to worry about it breaking on me.

Open sting tones will also match fretted string tones. It may just be because it is not the norm. Some times things that are different just do not sell well. Like Harley V-rod's, very stylish, water cooled, did not vibrate much, went very fast, but did not sell well.

Open sting tones will also match fretted string tones. It may just be because it is not the norm. Some times things that are different just do not sell well. Like Harley V-rod's, very stylish, water cooled, did not vibrate much, went very fast, but did not sell well.
First year they came out, factory couldn't keep up with the demand, as I recall. In '02, I went to the ride demo in York, and everybody was in line to ride the V-Rod. I didn't keep up with them much, so maybe demand fell off later...

A well cut nut can give just as good action. Using the half pencil trick or stacked feeler guages to match the fret height, you can get it just as low and even if desired.

From what I've read, zero frets can sometimes be prone to wearing grooves and causing buzzing on open strings over time, however using a stainless steel fret largely solves that.

Since you usually still have to cut a nut anyway for horizontal string spacing, a zero fret really sort of makes for more work and doesn't really solve any problems a well cut nut doesn't already solve, so they never really caught on.

Vigier have it
about as perfect as is possible .
maxresdefault.jpg
But by the time you have gone to all this trouble to make it work you could have cut a perfect nut. The real issue is almost nobody does.

I'm sticking with my theory that most guitar players are more conservative then ISIS. Leo Fender and Les Paul got it right the first time in the '50's, everything new and supposedly better is just heresy.

There is quite a list of actual improvement;
Compound radius .
Stainless steel frets.
Two way truss rods
Carbon reinforced necks.
Roasted wood.
Locking tuners.
Trems that actually stay in tune.
The Plek.
CNC.
Better ergonomics.
The use of CAD.
better engineered hardware.
The best guitars ever built are being built now.

The only downside I encountered with zero frets is that even in stainless steel material, they tend to wear quicker, and produce a "ping" sound when you do bends. You can feel it also, not only ear it.

The only downside I encountered with zero frets is that even in stainless steel material, they tend to wear quicker, and produce a "ping" sound when you do bends. You can feel it also, not only ear it.
This doesn't happen on the newer Vigier but I agree it does on all the others.

This doesn't happen on the newer Vigier but I agree it does on all the others.

I owned two used Vigier with SS frets and the first one did that. (I didnt kept them for a long time for other reasons).

Its a matter of time, all zero frets are prone to this by definition.

On the other hand, the very smart move made by Vigier is to install on the newer models a replacable zero fret, the newer one is even divided by six so you just exchange the piece causing problem.
They invented this for a reason, they know it will happen some day on every guitar. SS is very strong but still wears. And the zero fret is like, playing every time you pick your guitar on the same fret. :)

I owned two used Vigier with SS frets and the first one did that. (I didnt kept them for a long time for other reasons).

Its a matter of time, all zero frets are prone to this by definition.

On the other hand, the very smart move made by Vigier is to install on the newer models a replacable zero fret, the newer one is even divided by six so you just exchange the piece causing problem.
They invented this for a reason, they know it will happen some day on every guitar. SS is very strong but still wears. And the zero fret is like, playing every time you pick your guitar on the same fret. :)
The split piece one with the damper??

The split piece one with the damper??
Yeah this model with the 6-piece zero fret.

I dont want to say X brand is good and Y is bad, quality and material - wise.

Its just that all metals will slightly wear, eventually :)

I got a Strandberg with super shiny, top-notch quality SS frets, and I can see very minor grooves coming on the zero fret. For the moment I dont ear/feel anything wrong but one day it will come I guess...

Back
Top Bottom