Zero Crunch kills

There's a reason that Crunch defaults to only 3% in the Angle Severe model. The way that amp is usually used, most users aren't really going for a crunch tone.

That said, a touch of crunch will often help you cut through a mix. It works better in context than it does by itself.

I am getting the exact opposite kind of experience. In the mix context my double tracked guitars are cutting better and punching more. Different strokes for different folks.

He basically said it adds more crunch to the breakup. That was all we got. Based off of the fact that I'm getting better transient on 0 though, I'd say it's some type of specialized compression type of thing. But way more complicated than just "compression".

Hmmm, odd, "Crunch" seems to be some sort of integral part of the newer modeling, yet some people seem to prefer it set to zero. What I'm wondering is if zero basically removes it, and makes the amp behave a bit like an earlier FW, or if crunch set to zero is still producing some sort of effect in the way the amp is modeling.

Perhaps its even something of an inverse control where setting it low or to even zero produces more of an effect, through some sort of subtractive interaction, that it does if you turn it up to say 4 or 5

Kind of a mystery parameter really

Guess at the end of the day just turn it to where it sounds good though LOL

Well, if you turn it up to 100 it becomes very apparent it is some sort of compression/transient shaper mixed with a simulation of breakup/noise. I actually like what it does to the decay in low amounts, but it most certainly destroys some of the attack of my signal even at very low amounts. I'm still curious to see if there is some way to compensate for that, because other parts of crunch, I very much like. I get a bit more of the action of having crunch on if I bump up the sag just a little bit when I set crunch to zero. Fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom