ZenRigs Morphing Preset packs released (including EVH inspired 'Brown Sound' patches)

ZenRigs Man

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi folks! Hope all is well with everyone. After a lot of tinkering, gigging and testing (thanks to the fab testers who took these for a spin for me), I'm really happy to say that the ZenRigs Axe FX III Preset packs are now available at www.ZenRigs.com!

I've been gigging and refining these patches for a long time, and I love them. They're designed to sound full, weighty and juicy to inspire you to play as if you're rocking through a real amp. These aren't thin sounding tones that are great for recording and I haven't pretended I'm a FOH engineer and tweaked these for perfection for them; I've made these to be fun to play as a guitar player, because that makes me play better! Having said that, I've yet to meet an FOH dude that hasn't like the tone and just dialled back bass and highs to mix in with the sound for the night :)

The tones are in your face and have been dialled in at gig volumes, where the thumps and high work great, but if you find they vibrate your pants a little too much, I've included a comprehensive guide showing how to tweak them.

The presets are built on carefully designed templates I've created (which are explained in the documentation) and can be used to create your own presets really easily. I've tried to be as comprehensive as possible in the accompanying guide so you can see how I've set things up.

There are 4 patches available (I use variations of all 4 for my gigs), with 2 of them being 'Morphing' patches, which are a lot of fun!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Please head on over to www.ZenRigs.com to find out more.

Thank you!
Sukh

Snip20191104_70.png

Sukh,

Looks cool. I love the idea. I'm curious, what do you gig with for amplification - whose/what FRFR?

Be well,

Paul

Just as a quick and dirty... here are two clips from when I was working on these a while back while still on FW 9.x

These are from the Brown Sound patches - one is a morphing one (the Arctic Monkeys track) and the other a Detune scene from the Brown Clean2Mean patch (please excuse the silly video for this one, as I used it to advertise for guitar lessons recently where I live too!).

Both recorded only using my iPhone in the room (so not as bright as they sound in the room), and not even very loud, but will give you an idea. Both sounded stellar on 9.x but are even better on 10.02.

Proper vids at some point when I get the chance!

Last edited:
Sukh,

Looks cool. I love the idea. I'm curious, what do you gig with for amplification - whose/what FRFR?

Be well,

Paul

Thanks brother. I use an Atomic CLR - lovely FRFR, clear as a bell and will make your bowels move!

How does the morphing in the morphing presets work ?
Hi!

I use dual signal paths and mixer blocks to fade between multiple amps and effects. Been doing this since the Ultra days but it's so much better now with the power of the III. Back then, there was all kinds of shenanigans that needed to take place by manipulating eq and various amp and delay parameters with the expression pedal, but the way I do it now is much simpler to manage and update and gives more flexibility.

Hope that helps!

I was lucky enough to be one of the testers for Sukh's presets. You guys will love them they sound excellent. I hadn't tried the FAS Brown model before until it was in Sukh's preset but it's now become one of my favourite amp models. Nails that classic EVH tone. Let's just say I couldn't stop playing all evening lol. Couldn't stop playing Ain't talking bout love and Panama for some reason lol. Definitely has that's 80's feel with that nice clean chorus sound on one scene.

Getting some really great sounding Gibbons tones from the AC-20 patch as well.

The morphing patch is a great idea as well, I'd definitely consider using that in a future preset. Great idea if your singing all night and need to change amps without looking down at your board.

Thanks for letting me test them out Sukh.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to be one of the testers for Sukh's presets. You guys will love them they sound excellent. I hadn't tried the FAS Brown model before until it was in Sukh's preset but it's now become one of my favourite amp models. Nails that classic EVH tone. Let's just say I couldn't stop playing all evening lol. Couldn't stop playing Ain't talking bout love and Panama for some reason lol. Definitely has that's 80's feel with that nice clean chorus sound on one scene.

The morphing patch is a great idea as well, I'd definitely consider using that in a future preset. Great idea if your singing all night and need to change amps without looking down at your board.

Thanks for letting me test them out Sukh.

Thanks Paul! Your feedback during testing was really useful and helped with putting the 'tweaking' documentation together. Cheers! Sukh

Good morning lovely people! The garden is flooded from heavy rain last night, but I don't care as my inbox is flooded with fantastic feedback for the ZenRigs Axe FX III Patches I released last night. Thanks to all that have purchased and are digging them. Here are some of the review comments I've received - very cool!

“Hey bro! Just wanted to say, big fan of the patches! Clean to Mean AC20 with an OD on it sounds like the ‘Beautiful Girls’ tone.”

“Thanks Sukh! Lovin’ that AC20 patch. Was getting some really good ZZ Top tones from it, which I thought was unusal!”

“Morphing preset sounds good – REALLY good. I’ll more than likely use that for gigging when my EV2 finally turns up lol!”

“Brother Sukh! Had a play with the presets last night and they sound really GREAT. I’ve not tried the FAS brown model before and the IRs you chose work really well with them – a nice open sound – total EVH vibe. Love the delays as well – not too much or too little. Thank you!”

“Thanks for making these patches Sukh. Exactly what I’ve been looking for. The notes were a great idea - I’ve learnt a lot from how you put things together!”

And the shortest review that really says it all (see photo).
Snip20191105_71.png

Cheers!
Sukh

I think you need to double check the modifier curves in the Amp Mixer .... The Amp in row 5 ( bottom ) never goes completely silent. Mute the top Amp and work the pedal I think you'll see what I mean ....

I think you need to double check the modifier curves in the Amp Mixer .... The Amp in row 5 ( bottom ) never goes completely silent. Mute the top Amp and work the pedal I think you'll see what I mean ....

Hi there. Just checked and it seems fine here.

The modifiers go linear from 0 to 100 (full range) so do seem to be doing their thing, (which you can see if you go into the mixer gain controls that are being controlled by the expression pedal), but if you mute the top amp (which you wouldn't practically do with this patch) and attempt a morph, you will hear the signal anyway as you'll get the feed from row 4, just with the amp block disabled (as bypass mode is set to 'Through'). If you set the bypass mode to 'Mute', you'll get no sound. But, as I say, really you wouldn't bypass either amp when using this patch.

If you're hearing the bottom amp bleed through still (which I'm not here) it's worth checking your pedal is properly calibrated and the Axe is registering the full range of motion so it can control the full range of the mixer gain control.

Hope that helps :)
Sukh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom