Zappa plays Zappa in Norfolk, VA

favance

Power User
Looks like Dweezil will be in Norfolk, VA at the NORVA this Tuesday night (July 10). Would be cool if he's watching these forums if a couple of us local AxeFX-II users could check out his rig and see/hear how he uses it!!!

Well I have spent a few days up here at "Dweezilla 2012" music camp in the Catskills of NY and his sound is AMAZING, never better. Instead of two Ultras he is just using one AXE FX II. He has dialed in some new tones and replicated some of Frank's filthiest guitar tones exactly. DZ has access to Franks' master tapes for the AXE II tone matching function, which is great and really shows.

We campers were also treated to him playing a a carefully tone matched version of Van Halen's Eruption solo (indistinguishable from the record both in tone and notes, he just killed on it) and for the nighttime fireworks he did the proverbial Star Spangled Banner by Jimi at Woodstock (which is only 30 minutes away actually from where we all were), Strat, fuzz & warbly Univibe and all.

A whole bunch of AXE II users were at camp and Matt Picone of Fractal did a 3+ hour session with Dweezil going through his grew and assisting him tweak a few patches on the spot per Dweezil's specs.

It was too cool. AXE II users from across America should all come to this camp next year. Matt did some free one-on-one sessions for free helping folks get their AXE II rig all together. Fractal Audio is just the best! You should check out his CD "Live in the Moment: to hear what the Fractal is capable of in his hands, just amazing. He was working on a tone match with a saxophone...who knows what will be next?

Damn! I had so planned on going this year when Java reported on it last year. I completely dropped the ball! Time truly does fly.

I'll bet you are having a blast!

I'm next door in Va Beach if anyone here is going I'd like to meet up with fellow Fractal users

Nice...I guess I'll have to look at going to the Zappa music camp, if he does it next year. Thanks.

Just FYI, they will do it again next year, same place, same time (week of July 4th)....contact Full Moon resort if you want more info... and maybe I'll see ya'll there!

I just wanted to report back. I went to the ZPZ Concert last...all I can say is awesome. Dweezil and crew really did his Dad's material justice. Frank would be proud. I put this concert right up there with some of the best I've ever seen over the years. If you get a chance, you owe it to yourself to see a great group of musicians, performing some of the best rock/progressive rock material ever written!

Back
Top Bottom