Zappa Flanger Preset

zappafranco

Inspired
I tried to go in the direction of the sound of the Yo Mama solo from Frank Zappa

but I was not happy with my preset and asked Austinbudy for help. This is the result. Thank you very much Austinbudy!!!

(I can not post the URL but if you want some musical background info about one of the in my opinion best E Mixolydian Guitar Solos of all times you can Google "Zappa Analysis Yo Mama".)

Anyway here are some coments Austinbudy made about the preset:

"I don't think it's perfect or exact to the recording, BUT for an AX8 (and those CPU limitations, since the real one uses two amps blended) it is surely usable and fine by me if you want to share on the forum.

You should try a few different drive pedals and see if you find one you like better. It took me about 15 minutes or so to edit it. You can try different drive blocks than I did. You want them in parallel with amp, so that you get a clean sound but then a dirty blend underneath with some grit. I simplified it a little. I hate tube screamers but they can work here. Just turn up the gain and leave everything else in the drive block alone. Or try the mid boost, or Pi Fuzz, etc.

Before you edit anything, Use the Output BLOCK to "solo" each row by itself and listen to each carefully: you'll hear the effects in each -- think like Zappa at a mixing board, mixing blending three signals together, and mix the output volume of each row to taste, panning hard right and left and middle."

Attachments

• JC120 Zappa Flange AB.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I tried to go in the direction of the sound of the Yo Mama solo from Frank Zappa

but I was not happy with my preset and asked Austinbudy for help. This is the result. Thank you very much Austinbudy!!!

(I can not post the URL but if you want some musical background info about one of the in my opinion best E Mixolydian Guitar Solos of all times you can Google "Zappa Analysis Yo Mama".)

Anyway here are some coments Austinbudy made about the preset:

"I don't think it's perfect or exact to the recording, BUT for an AX8 (and those CPU limitations, since the real one uses two amps blended) it is surely usable and fine by me if you want to share on the forum.

You should try a few different drive pedals and see if you find one you like better. It took me about 15 minutes or so to edit it. You can try different drive blocks than I did. You want them in parallel with amp, so that you get a clean sound but then a dirty blend underneath with some grit. I simplified it a little. I hate tube screamers but they can work here. Just turn up the gain and leave everything else in the drive block alone. Or try the mid boost, or Pi Fuzz, etc.

Before you edit anything, Use the Output BLOCK to "solo" each row by itself and listen to each carefully: you'll hear the effects in each -- think like Zappa at a mixing board, mixing blending three signals together, and mix the output volume of each row to taste, panning hard right and left and middle."

What Zappafranco omits is that he had it really close before I touched it (and I wrote that as part of the above but he cut it, he must be a shy guy!). I just did this for free because I love Zappa. It's not perfectly like the recording, and you need to use a Strat, but it sounds good for the limits in an AX8 CPU.

Back
Top Bottom