YY"EZ"

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I play guitar, bass, and drums, but the more my musical mind expands, the less my hands can keep up. I'm happy for all the help I can get (as you heard in my recent GrooveShifter demo) :)

I got the "EZ Bass" plugin and a friend asked me to show him what it can do. We're both Rush fans so I made this. I started with a YouTube clip of "YYZ" with all of the bass and some of the keyboards removed. Quality is meh but it is what it is.

Next, I played the bass part on a piano keyboard in realtime with no quantizing. Now, I'm not that good of a keyboard player so I punched in and out about 100 times, but this how I maintain feel when sequencing rather than recording at a slower speed or cheating by drawing on the grid. EZ bass is really cool. Sometimes it switches articulations automatically, like when it detects a hammer on or pull off, but it also allows you to force articulations by playing notes in the low register. I do this, for example, on the harmonics in the solo, some of the slides, and many of the "repeated" notes.

You're hearing the "DI out" off the EZ Bass plugin mixed with a channel that's been processed by the "SV Bass" model in the Axe-Fx III with a little EQ and chorus. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
Ah wow. That's pretty nice.

How's it decide to do the slides and the harmonics? Is that post-performance editing and you tell it "slide here" or does it make it up as you're playing?

Ug. $149. Could have saved some money on that bass... :D

Also use it with your guitar !

Play the bass part on your guitar, record it, then drag into plugin... amazing !

Back
Top Bottom