YouTube Madness.

electronpirate

Axe-Master
So I love poring through YouTube while the kids are sleeping to find obscure crap.

This first one...don't know exactly what to say. To me they clearly 'fixed' a few things in post production, but damn, this is a pretty nice rendition of a classic song (check out their other video's...they have chops.) And there's hope for old guys playing with young girls. I present Foxes and Fossils:

This one is one of the bands I grew up listening to. I always thought that Rik Emmett was an underrated guitarist (Triumph for those who don't know.) He's one of those guys that I can play almost any solo of his out of the box without ever really working on it (I must play somewhat like him.) Over the years, I've heard very many singers who have 'studio-ized' themselves out of being able to perform their songs live anymore....they just can't hit the notes that took 87 takes over 4 days to nail. Toto did the politic thing and got a backup singer who would do the high stuff, others tune down at least a 1/2 step, and then dance around those crazy high notes. Rik is clearly older, and some of it is tailored to the acoustic setting, but he sounds pretty damn good (and his accompaniment has more clams than he does.)

Awesome cover!

Geez, he's 6' 8". No wonder that guitar looked small for a jazz box. Don't mess with Puddles!

I'd not heard of (or heard) Foxes and Fossils before. All I can say is wow. I watched a few of their videos and the only thing that disappointed me was the lack of audience response. Some people just don't recognize great vocals when they hear them, I guess.

I was thinking the same thing. That kind of effort and quality doesn't jibe with the places it looks like they play. Basically a Chili's in the south or 'Bob's Bar and Chicken' somewhere.

I was thinking the same thing. That kind of effort and quality doesn't jibe with the places it looks like they play. Basically a Chili's in the south or 'Bob's Bar and Chicken' somewhere.

I wonder if they're playing those places out of necessity or desire? Maybe they're weekend warriors who are happy doing what they do?

But there's no accounting for audience taste, I guess. There are bands local to me that play pretty regularly, have loyal, screaming followings, and they can't sing a note in tune to save their lives. And lots of very talented folks who can hardly find gigs.

Back in the '80s Albuquerque had a number of really awesome, talented bands with big sound systems and killer light shows, and the market supported them playing five or six nights a week. Those of us in regular rotation worked 3-4 weeks per month. These days, all the good venues are gone and most bands are lucky to work two or three shows a month...and a good number of them are as exciting to watch and listen to as a carpet cleaning demonstration. The band I'm in is a bunch of weekend warriors, but we all have day jobs now and are mainly doing it for the fun and a bit a extra money in the gear fund. (And since I don't sing, our vocals are pretty decent, lol.)

You mean Sassy Jones? Della Street? At Buckets? The Bear? How about one man's at Chelsea or the Hofbrau?

Guess who was a Lobo in the 80's...

Back
Top Bottom