Youtube->audio

Renderman

Inspired
Can anyone recommend a good piece of software for Mac that will extract the audio from a YouTube video. (This is purely for purposes of study - trying to teach myself how to transcribe.)

There are options out there, but I'm not sure they're strictly legal so you'll probably not get much info

Oh, I have done. But most of the downloads look more or less dodgy. FWIW, the easiest solution was to open QuickTime, click record, then press play on YouTube :).

First step, find a way to download the youtube video.
Second step: convert it using a converter like Foobar.

Piing's method works too, but I'd rather have more control over the process and outcome then with some online website.

Given that you're looking for this on a mac, I'm assuming you don't have an android phone - but if you do, I can highly recommend the (open source) NewPipe youtube player - it has the option to DL the vid or just the audio. I don't have enough posts yet to post a link I guess, but you can find it at https : // newpipe . net

There are other ways to do it, you can use the record software. Open the screen recorder or audio recorder, and playing the Youtube video, then you can save the recorded video to be MP3 format or MP4 format. I have been using Joyoshare VidiKit to record video or audio on Youtube/DisneyPlus.

There are options out there, but I'm not sure they're strictly legal so you'll probably not get much info
Standing up for developers: youtube-dl is back is interesting reading.

That’s what I use.

It’s flexible and well-supported, but the flexibility makes it more difficult to figure out. I use Homebrew to install and maintain it on my Mac. It’s written in Python and takes advantage of some compiled libraries, all of which are also managed by Homebrew. I’m sure there’s a Windows corollary to ‘Brew.

Last edited:
TunesKit Audio Capture can help you. When I find a YouTube video with beautiful background music or just an interesting voice, I use this software to extract the sound from the YouTube video. What surprised me was that the audio quality it extracted is good and no better than original audio. The steps to use it are simple and you can get video audio without any limitation. Its interface is simple. The tutorial to extract the audio from a YouTube video can be referred to in related articles on its official website.

Back
Top Bottom