Your Roku is Spying On You

Been a while since the first post. Was thinking of setting this up. Still working well for everyone?
Yup. Don't even think about it it runs so well. I did turn off detailed logging to both extend the life of my MicroSD card in my RPi and because it wasn't really necessary. It's not a perfect means to keep ads and telemetry data collection out of your network, but it's an easy first step.

Still haven't gone all in on Unifi gear. Maybe in the new year?

Same. I left the browser window to it up for the longest time since I was curious to see what it was blocking. After a reboot, I just sort of forgot about it. Still doing it's thing,

I just run it in a Linux VM. No concerns about flash. I only use it to block bullshit on my kid’s devices when he refuses to do his homework though.

Between using 1.1.1.1 and this i feel like i have some privacy now. Unfortunately you tube ads are now coming from the same dns as the actual content so they dont get blocked any more but yeah it has been a really positive experience with pi-hole so far, if i ignore my wife's complaints about google ads no longer linking to anything.

Working great except for one issue now. Referer links that are usually on the facebook pages or blogs my wife follows. No longer work as they shoot you to an ad site first. Don't' want to have to whitelist them all.

My new privacy jam is:

Firefox 65 + Firefox Containers Extension + Cookie AutoDelete Extension + uBlock Origin Extension

Containers and the Cooke AutoDelete are amazing for keeping everything separated and wiped on browser exit where appropriate.

I've noticed that my Roku is no longer listed in the top blocked domains on my pi-hole. This has me wondering if it found another way to get out. I know some devices, TVs, etc, will also hunt for a open wifi network, so maybe a neighbor set up something for an AirBnB. I don't see anything, but find it odd that it stopped trying to get out. It had by far the largest number of hits in my blocked domains for months.

This has me wondering if it found another way to get out. I know some devices, TVs, etc, will also hunt for a open wifi network, so maybe a neighbor set up something for an AirBnB. I don't see anything, but find it odd that it stopped trying to get out. It had by far the largest number of hits in my blocked domains for months.
They could have hard coded a DNS server. That's the easiest way to cheat your way around pi-hole. You'd need to block all DNS requests from your network except for requests from the pi-hole to stop this.

They could have hard coded a DNS server. That's the easiest way to cheat your way around pi-hole. You'd need to block all DNS requests from your network except for requests from the pi-hole to stop this.
My Untangle firewall is set up to block all outgoing DNS traffic and re-route it to the firewalls DNS cache.

Mine is just a POS Netgear 6400. I'll have to figure out how to do that on there. It doesn't have the most sophisticated setup options.

I have found out about Brave Browser - it seems to do the same stuff as a pi-hole, except just for your browsing experience (i.e. it won't block devices calling home or tracking on your TV). Does anyone else know about Brave? So far it seems to have a very similar feel to chrome but from time to time things don't work as well, like when I log into the dashlane app, the browser won't auto-flll password fields like what would usually happen on chrome

There's so much consumer data out there already from credit card purchases and similar things so even more data will not make a difference, me thinks. The scary part is how badly many companies secure this data.

Back
Top Bottom