Your reason/justifcation for buying more guitars? help!!

As Spock would say...'it's only logical!'

GS_FlowChart_TooManyGuitars.jpg
Just showed this to my wife, this may be my last post on this forum and the internet... LOL o_O

I think I’ve been living that flow chart. When I bought the AxeFX I had a Strat and a Gibson with humbuckers

Didn’t have a 7 string, got it. Didn’t have a Tele, it’s on the way. Didnt have a bass, got it.

I already have every amp and pedal that I could want in this box, I’ve got to buy something right? The next phase is “virtual capo isn’t good enough, I need a PRS for drop C”

I think I’ve been living that flow chart. When I bought the AxeFX I had a Strat and a Gibson with humbuckers

Didn’t have a 7 string, got it. Didn’t have a Tele, it’s on the way. Didnt have a bass, got it.

I already have every amp and pedal that I could want in this box, I’ve got to buy something right? The next phase is “virtual capo isn’t good enough, I need a PRS for drop C”
Obviously the chart was created as a joke, but as you look at it there is actually some logic to the decision points.

My favorite is asking your wife how many pairs of shoes she has...anything 5 or less means she's lying.

Last edited:
Buy the guitar you want. Sneak it into the house and hide it. Play it only when the warden...I mean wife, is out, then hide it again. After about 6 months or so, bring it out and put it the stand with the rest. A Hercules multi-guitar stand works best for this. Keeps it from standing out in the crowd like a sore thumb. Pick it up and play it. When the warden (dammit, wife), comes and says...and you know the look...'is that a new guitar???'. Your reply and DO NOT HESITATE...practice this in the mirror...'this old thing, no, I've had it for years!' Then look away and keep playing! Oh, you could also say after that...'are those new shoes and did you get your hair done?...you look great and I love the shoes!'

Your reason/justifcation for buying more guitars? help!!

For me? Because I want it and can afford it.

For my wife? She tells me basically I can get/do whatever I want, as long as we can afford it. She manages the money but isn't judgmental at all about what stuff I buy. We're a single income family (mine), and I'm fortunate enough to make a significantly above average living. She supports my hobbies, and I support hers, 100%.

For me? Because I want it and can afford it.

For my wife? She tells me basically I can get/do whatever I want, as long as we can afford it. She manages the money but isn't judgmental at all about what stuff I buy. We're a single income family (mine), and I'm fortunate enough to make a significantly above average living. She supports my hobbies, and I support hers, 100%.
Just showed my wife your post and said she needs to be more like your wife! Our household operates the same way, but I usually have to submit purchase requests in triplicate. :p She does do a good job with the finances though, so I am thankful!

Buy the guitar you want. Sneak it into the house and hide it. Play it only when the warden...I mean wife, is out, then hide it again. After about 6 months or so, bring it out and put it the stand with the rest. A Hercules multi-guitar stand works best for this. Keeps it from standing out in the crowd like a sore thumb. Pick it up and play it. When the warden (dammit, wife), comes and says...and you know the look...'is that a new guitar???'. Your reply and DO NOT HESITATE...practice this in the mirror...'this old thing, no, I've had it for years!' Then look away and keep playing! Oh, you could also say after that...'are those new shoes and did you get your hair done?...you look great and I love the shoes!'

Better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission, eh?? :)

Or just lie.

Better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission, eh?? :)
No, just makes it harder to get in trouble when they realize you notice all the shoes. ;)

Actually, money is never something we've ever really argued about. Separate bank accounts sure helps. Once all the bills are paid etc., we have our own monthly misc. spending budgets. My daughter complains more about all my guitar purchases. I told her that some day they will be hers and what they worth now and what they might be worth. Her reply...'carry on!'

Because I can and want to LOL. I actually picked up a Used EVH Frankie today at a local GC and as I walked in there was a used LTD Lynch Serpent hanging so I grabbed that as well, I have issues and im not ashamed of it :p.

Ill have pics up when I get them restrung and cleaned up.

Because I can and want to LOL. I actually picked up a Used EVH Frankie today at a local GC and as I walked in there was a used LTD Lynch Serpent hanging so I grabbed that as well, I have issues and im not ashamed of it :p.

Ill have pics up when I get them restrung and cleaned up.
Ah man, more power to ya!! I got the money to do this, but I literally have to restrain myself, because, one, I tend to never part with any guitars, and that's the only way I could justify buying other guitars that I would honestly like to try, and two, because I tend to fall in love with just one guitar, and then the others never get played. So those 2 things are kind of at odds with each other, so I avoid guitar stores. ;)

Ah man, more power to ya!! I got the money to do this, but I literally have to restrain myself, because, one, I tend to never part with any guitars, and that's the only way I could justify buying other guitars that I would honestly like to try, and two, because I tend to fall in love with just one guitar, and then the others never get played. So those 2 things are kind of at odds with each other, so I avoid guitar stores.
Yea I need to stay out of them as well lol, I really probably shouldn't have bought the Lynch but the price was too damn good on it. I really dont do impulse buys like that as a normal habit. And like you I dont really sell what I have, When it happens though its for a reason like it doesn't get playtime or my tastes change on that particular guitar.

My studio is a very small room and 2 years ago it got to the point, that I had to establish the strict rule: 1 in, 1 out. I'm still buying guitars, but then I have to decide right away, which one I let go. And that's in general the one, I hadn't played for a long time. If I hadn't touched a guitar for months, it means that there is not much affection anymore and then there is no need for keeping it as a dust collector.

My studio is a very small room and 2 years ago it got to the point, that I had to establish the strict rule: 1 in, 1 out. I'm still buying guitars, but then I have to decide right away, which one I let go. And that's in general the one, I hadn't played for a long time. If I hadn't touched a guitar for months, it means that there is not much affection anymore and then there is no need for keeping it as a dust collector.

Living in Arizona, if I replaced the guitars when they got dusty, I'd be buying guitars weekly.... 🤪

Back
Top Bottom