Your reason/justifcation for buying more guitars? help!!

If I had money to drop and the space, I'd never stop buying guitars. I enjoy them for their unique characteristics, tones and above all I think of them as pieces of Art. I love the aesthetics. The guitars I have each fill specific purposes though I'm still on the hunt for a mid ranged hard tail guitar for downtuning/heavy rhythms.

Why? Cause life is short and you only live once! ;) I never bothered trying to convince my wife I needed any of this stuff. It's a want, and that's ok. If it's not going to put you in the hole I say why not. Of course, this mindset comes with the responsibility of controlling your GAS.

As Spock would say...'it's only logical!'

GS_FlowChart_TooManyGuitars.jpg
Totally brilliant lol

Simple… because I can.

Need? Seriously, does anyone need to own a guitar in order to survive? No. A house? No. A car? No. The list is endless. So we’re only really discussing our ways of prioritizing what we want in our lives.

I raised kids, worked responsibly for decades and decades, paid my bills and taxes, gave to charity, saved for the future. All of the things I think of as priorities are covered. I make sure my wife knows she’s Woman #1 in the world to me, personally and materially. I like music equipment, tech gear, tools. So what I want and can afford, I get. I’m way down the priority line, so I don’t feel guilty or in need of justification when I buy a guitar. I just enjoy it, even if I’m just enjoying it on the wall. It’s an instrument sometimes, art sometimes, trade material sometimes, but always enjoyed. I can’t get nearly everything I’d like, but I sure like everything I have.

Handle your business. Then enjoy your success.

well the realization I come up with after years of dealing with my Gear Acquisition Syndrome and spending so much money on it is simply this conclusion = BUYING GUITARS MAKE ME HAPPY. thats it

Money isnt an issue because i basically save 5% of what i make on a new guitar. 95% goes to my family. I dont drink, no coffee, no videogames, dont smoke or buy new clothes or shoes and j eat pizza and drink water for lunch at work...even though the misses strongly urges me to buy some new threads because i have been wearing the same clothes and shoes for over 10 years now. So i save 25$ a week which is 100$ a month, which is 1,200$ a year , which is 4,600$ in 4 years which is New guitar day every 4 years or so. I tell my family dont you dare get me anything for my birthday or christmas.

You def need to hone your negotiation skills with a wife. It also requires planning ahead, you can't just go impulse buy.

One scenario is to start prepping the wife that you want to buy a guitar which is 1.5 to 2 x more expensive than the one you want. You've got to play this out for several weeks and possibly months. Then, once she's showing the slightest sign of weakening you go to her with the realization that you really should buy something a little less, which is of course the one you wanted all along! :p

I totally disagree with @Rick. I NEED guitars!!!!! ;)

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Last edited:
Question to people who own lots of guitars. How do you justify to your family and yourself on buying more guitars? - I used to own 20 guitars all in standard E tuning ...of which i woke up one morning and realize i basically only played the same 2 out of the 20 guitars- conclusion sold all of them and now own 3 custom guitars in different tunings - 1 in Standard E/ Drop D, 1 in Eb/ drop C#, 1 in D standard/drop C ---each guitar has a purpose and gets used equally because of the tuning- trying to convince the misses on buying one more guitar? but she asks why? I have been dealing with gear acquisition syndrome all my life, it got better after i had kids but now it's BACK!!HELP!
GAS. It’s a condition. Drug users get their fix. We just get guitars. 😂

Well, I no longer have a wife to reason with, just myself and my bank account!

But when I did, it was just a matter of; “All the bills paid? Money in the bank for emergencies?“, if the two answers to that were a “Yes”, then all was good. And that’s still my reasoning now, really…..and thankfully, because in my 20’s, that was not a concern at all.

When it comes down to the guitars themselves; I feel it’s important that I have enough guitars that cover all the ground I think I’ll need, IE- all the classic guitar tones whether it be a Strat, Tele, LP, something with P90’s, a hollowbody, etc. I know at some point I’ll have a desire for those tones and I HATE being in the middle of a recording and get hit with, “Man, this part really can use that Strat tone…..too bad I don’t have a Strat or something that can deliver it.”

And then getting into stage/studio use; in the studio if you snap a string, no big deal, but live, you’ll want something ready to go that sounds on par with your main live guitar, so having a very similar or identical one for a backup isn’t a bad idea. I was spreading myself thin by relying on multiple, very different sounding guitars to do the same job. I’ve got 16 or 17 guitars now, all very different, but I’m not playing live, so fuck it. Once I do, I’ll have a backup of each guitar I use live.

Question to people who own lots of guitars. How do you justify to your family and yourself on buying more guitars? - I used to own 20 guitars all in standard E tuning ...of which i woke up one morning and realize i basically only played the same 2 out of the 20 guitars- conclusion sold all of them and now own 3 custom guitars in different tunings - 1 in Standard E/ Drop D, 1 in Eb/ drop C#, 1 in D standard/drop C ---each guitar has a purpose and gets used equally because of the tuning- trying to convince the misses on buying one more guitar? but she asks why? I have been dealing with gear acquisition syndrome all my life, it got better after i had kids but now it's BACK!!HELP!
justify to family - well I just compare to my wifes' purse and shoe collection and that argument is over. Should either of you really need to justify things that make you happy? If you have kids... well that's stupid: think of all the guitars you could have bought instead of paying for their college?!? Are they really worth it? (this is a joke)
I have some 25 guitars. some guys have 5 or 6 of the sm guitar... they want the sm specs in several different shapes/colors/configs. For me... every guitar I have makes me play different (not that I'm satriani... but I enjoy myself). I love a 7.25" radius... 20" radius, thin nut spacing, wide nut spacing, humbuckers, p90s, single coils, lipstick tubes, mini humbuckers, high output pickups, low output pickups, thin neck like my jem... boat neck like my baritone, jumbo frets, vintage thin frets. I find that I get inspiration from pulling down something I haven't played in a while, re-stringing it... and falling in love again. Play that one mostly for a month... then do it all over again with another guitar. No one gets hurt, and it makes me smile... justification enough?

I have 2 electrics (2001 Custom 24 and a 2021 7 string Mark Holcomb PRS SE) first electric guitar purchase in 20 years. I have two Acoustics (1988 Alvarez (first guitar) and a 2004 Blue Ridge BR-180) I also have a four string custom bass that a friend of mine made and gifted to me and a mid to late 90's Yamaha TRB-5.

When I told my wife I was buying another guitar, my excuse was that the new one has more strings. She said, "I can't stop you from buying what makes you happy!"

She knows my hobby very well as I wrote her a stack of poems 19 years ago and turned about 20 of them into songs.

My justification is I just like some guitars. Very few on my wall are sacred, and I change something out more than once a year.

I'm actually in the middle of some consolidation because I'm out of space. I've got a handful for sale. The first three that sell will get replaced with one that I've had my eye on. I have no problem keeping what doesn't sell, as I like all my guitars.

Back
Top Bottom