Your rack

Joero6

Inspired
My Axe Fx 2 Xl + arrives tomorrow and I have been looking at different rack options. I was curious how deep you guys went and why? I am ordering a shock mount rack with rear rails and was thinking 20 inch. Any adviceor problems with this? Thanks Joe

Depends on if you are touring or gig out a lot. I keep my rig as simple and as portable as possible. All my gigs are local so I just use a 3u rack bag. I keep my FX and a wireless (Line 6 G-90) in the rack. Sling it over the shoulder and away I go. I use a Targus laptop roller for my MFC. Holds the MFC, expression pedal, and Boss footswitch (for volume boost), and all the wires to hook it up. I can be set up in under 10 minutes. I run output 1 to FOH and output 2 to a line 6 Flextone XLII if I need a stage monitor.

What you are looking at should work just fine.

I had a rack that deep before and hated it. To much unused space. I know other guys who love it. Just depends on how you perceive the extra space

2U Gator Studio-2-Go with a section for computer, cables etc. Have brought this all over the world and it fits in the overhead compartment.

Quite good. Would prefer one with wheels but haven't found that yet!

Good luck

I use a 6-space light weight Gator rack - it's a thin-wall composite, so easily carried in one hand. I've got a 2-space rack drawer for storing cables and accessories. And, I built a patch-bay that allows me to do all of my connecting from the front of the unit (power, Out1, L,R. Out2 L, R, MFC101 Faslink, and USB top PC - parts from ebay and Parts Express). I hate digging around the back of a rack in the dark. There is a divot in my front teeth from biting down on a minimag. The whole rack sits on a lightweight guitar combo amp stand - front face angled up toward me. I leave the back of the rack closed. The MFC101 and 2 expression pedals fit perfectly in a small pedal case that I already had laying around, just pop it open, patch in the exp pedals, and plug in the faslink. Boom. Walk in and set up in under five minutes.

To clarify, I was more concerned with what people like for the depth of the rack, keeping in mind I need rear rails in mine. Thanks Joe

To clarify, I was more concerned with what people like for the depth of the rack, keeping in mind I need rear rails in mine. Thanks Joe

if it will be only for the Axe FX , so 2U would be more than enough.....what would you do with the extra space and rack rails in the back ? Everything could be easily straight into the rear of the Axe.
If you go for more units , than the rear rails are handy for a interface and stuff.....but would have rather wheels under a 4u shock mount because of its weight...

If I understand your question, The Axe FX depth is 14.25 inches (according to specs in user manual). A 20" deep rack will be sufficient to house the unit and accommodate XLR and TRS plugs with inches to spare. I would think plenty of space for a second set of rails in the rear.

My touring rack is about 18.5 inches from front to rear rails. It's enough to leave everything plugged into the devices in my rack, even with the interconnect panel mounted on the rear rails. So, a 20" depth will definitely work for your purposes, and will give you a little extra room.

Shock racks are essential for truck touring. I have been using standard lightweight SKB racks for shows when I'm hand carrying my gear, but any time I hand equipment off for tour (or have to check gear for a flight), I prefer a shock rack.

Hi Joe - 20in deep will let you mount a power amp in there if that's your plan:)
Don't know how many Units high you need but Axe + a 1U power amp is the minimum for a nice powered rig.
I use a 4U and the Laptop on a 1U sliding tray has been replaced by a UPS now.
Shock-mount stuff is nice but heavy 'cause you've got a strong 19in frame suspended within an oversized flightcase

I am replacing my old touring rack which was a head and 20 space shock mount rack. I am planning on using the following. Monster Power Pro 2500 power conditioner> Korg Rack Tuner> Rocktron Rack interface> Xwire 905 Wireless> Axe fx2 xl+> Matrix Gt1000fx>Patch Panel for plugging mfc to front. The rear rails are for another interface for not wearing out the axe inputs. Joe

Depends on if you are touring or gig out a lot. I keep my rig as simple and as portable as possible. All my gigs are local so I just use a 3u rack bag. I keep my FX and a wireless (Line 6 G-90) in the rack. Sling it over the shoulder and away I go. I use a Targus laptop roller for my MFC. Holds the MFC, expression pedal, and Boss footswitch (for volume boost), and all the wires to hook it up. I can be set up in under 10 minutes. I run output 1 to FOH and output 2 to a line 6 Flextone XLII if I need a stage monitor.

What you are looking at should work just fine.

I used a flextone3 for a while. Didnt sound bad.

I am selling my 6U rack because I want to go small and decided to make two 4U elements on my desktop, and happened to maybe find a new band...And will not travel with the studio rack then...I created new issues yay !
I think I'm gonna buy a 2-4u gigbag.

I used a flextone3 for a while. Didnt sound bad.

I run the FX output into the effects return. The Flextone is loaded with 2x12 Cellestions. I have been using it for years as a stage monitor for the FX. Very happy with the way it sounds. Never really bonded with the amp except as a stage monitor.

I run the FX output into the effects return. The Flextone is loaded with 2x12 Cellestions. I have been using it for years as a stage monitor for the FX. Very happy with the way it sounds. Never really bonded with the amp except as a stage monitor.
Same here. I used it with a Boss GT10, Boss GT100, and the Axe FX2. The speakers sound good and with the XLR outs I could go to the board with the GT10 and GT100 because the line6 speaker emulation was much better than the BOSS.

Biggest problem, I don't know how many times I couldn't get a sound from it only to realize I hadn't put a plug into the input jack.

Back
Top Bottom