Your primary use of the III - creating or "copying"?

Creating new tones or copying old ones?

• Total voters
I'm another one of those that's always trying to cop my sounds, and not someone elses. Thay said, we all have influences in our roots, so mine started with EVH Brown sound of the early stuff, was influenced by Metallica in the 80s, then some of the deeper heavy modern sounds. And can't forget Hendrix, Page, and that era.

Right now I'm very happy with my core tones, and starting to try to experiment with more creative use of effects. In fact, I just dropped a couple hits of acid and I need to get out to the studio to start playing before I start peaking and can't turn the right knobs any more. (Kidding about that, but I am trying to go in a bit of a psychedelic direction with some of the sounds lately.)
Watch out for the f***ing dragons in there, Genghis....

Some of both. I play a lot of covers too, and I don't usually go for the exact amps/cabs but try to get close with some in-the-ballpark Marshall types, Fenders, AC-20, Recto. Then other times I'm really going for someone's specific sound - Edge, EVH, Garcia, Gilmour...

We play covers. I hate to buck the trend, but I try to use the Axe to absolutely nail the classic rigs that the greats used. From something as simple as the perfect plexi at the Fillmore, to the glorious tones from the dark side of the moon. It’s fun when people say it sounds exactly right. Back in February, when we could all still perform, and thanks a bit of research and my buddy Austin, I finally found both Elliott Randall and Bob Webber. How’s that for diverse! It’s amazing what can be found inside the Axe FX III.

I hope this question is straightforward. Are you trying to create a new (to you at least) guitar tone using your III, or are you enjoying recreating famous tones and sounds from past rigs? If you're doing both, vote for which one you've spent more time doing.

This is just a curiosity thing - use your gear however you'd like :).

My journey with the III starts with creating tones I know I like, so that I can get straight to playing. As time goes on and inspiration hits, I would like to explore the capabilities and see if I find something new (at least to me).

You forgot the third option...both. :p

Honestly, I have put more time into recreating tones for my cover band gig. However, I usually end up tweaking the tone and adding other effects, etc. I typically start by trying to achieve the basic tone required with the amp used by the artist or something close. Then, I EQ for our band and the rooms we play, so in most cases, I end up with a tone that feels good to me and works for my live playing. Over time, I have found that there are certain tones I created which work for a lot of material. For example, I came up with my own version of classic plexi tone that covers a lot of classic rock ground. So, even though I have a tone that is close to the original, my tone is dialed for me and it allows me to add my personality to tunes while staying in the basic vibe of the tune - if that makes sense. Lately, with more time to experiment, I have started branching out on different types of tones. Big thanks to @simeon who gave us an amazing array of synth and ambient tones and there is a lot of great stuff in there to play with.

Lately I have been forcing myself to make tones with each amp down the line, which I love because it lets me explore everything. I do "copy" tones in a sense, meaning that I will base a patch off a tone that someone else is doing but I make it my own. SO I guess I sorta do both? I mean we have plenty of spots to save stuff so why not!

Your poll need an option for "Neither" and one for "Both"

The "neither" option I don't quite follow. As for "both", I outlined that one in the OP - whichever one you spend more time doing, pick that one. If it's evenly split down the middle, kudos and pick whichever you want haha.

Neither for me. I don't chase a new tone or someone else's. I already have my sound. I use the axe fx 3 as an all in one solution so I don't need any outboard gear. For me it's all about the routing options and silent recording convenience.

Neither for me. I don't chase a new tone or someone else's. I already have my sound. I use the axe fx 3 as an all in one solution so I don't need any outboard gear. For me it's all about the routing options and silent recording convenience.

That to me would fall under "new" as it isnt trying to copy a classic sound.

Back
Top Bottom