Your preferred DAW

Poozer79

I'm just looking to see what everyone's preferred DAW is. I'm fairly green when it comes to recording and am looking for advice on what DAW I should get. I'm not looking to spend too much (maybe $300-$400 max). I've messed around with Reaper and Ableton Live Lite a little but didn't get too in depth with it. I've been looking into Cubase and it's interface looks a little more user friendly but, I could be wrong though. Like I said, I=:mrgreen

EDIT: Should have asked this in the first place but, for those that have tried several different softwares, what was the reason you chose your preferred DAW?

Any and all advice is welcome, Thanks!

Last edited:
I use Cubase Pro 8. I have Pro Tools as well, but it doesn't work as flawlessly as Cubase. For me, the Arranger track, Chord Track, and Comp Tool really help me when writing songs. I have Pro Tools Vanilla, and Cubase 8 seems to have a lot of the features that are only found in Pro Tools HD. I've tried Reaper, but I am just to comfortable with Cubase now that it would take awhile to switch over. It really seems to make songwriting a lot easier once you get a handle on how the tools work.

I use Cubase.
BUT I probably could switch to Studio One if it was able to open 3 mix consoles at once. I like to keep two mixers open on the second monitor, one with Group channels one with FX and Midi channels. Studio One and all other DAWs have only one mixer, and it give me a lot of stress to navigate in busy projects. Also I hate dark interfaces. Studio one is dark. Cubase is dark by default but you can adjust all colors and customize interface.

I would recommend you to go for Studio One, cause it's a bit cheaper, can be purchased online and with latest update it got some very cool features which you cant find anywhere else.

Cubase 8 for me. There are different versions, elements, artist and pro to suit your needs. It is my daw of choice since the advent of computer sound cards in the 1990's. Partly for path dependency, but mainly because is is a great tool.

I'm just looking to see what everyone's preferred DAW is. I'm fairly green when it comes to recording and am looking for advice on what DAW I should get. I'm not looking to spend too much (maybe $300-$400 max). I've messed around with Reaper and Ableton Live Lite a little but didn't get too in depth with it. I've been looking into Cubase and it's interface looks a little more user friendly but, I could be wrong though. Like I said, I=:mrgreen

Any and all advice is welcome, Thanks!
Mac or PC?

I absolutely loathe Cubase, tried it several times and I never get along with it, so it always surprises me when there are so many that actually love using Cubase.
I'm almost always using Logic Pro X, I am also fairly skilled in using Ableton Live and Pro Tools, but Logic Pro X lets me do everything I need and want to do with ease that I have yet to find in any other DAW.
Since you're using PC that's not really an option, Pro Tools is a little bit above your budget and it's really built for the professional so you might get annoyed by it's functionality(I know I was annoyed at first), Ableton Live is usually marketed towards the electronic music scene, but I used it for a few years for metal and such and it worked great, it's not so much made for songwriting but it's got some really cool effects if you want to get creative and experiment a bit.
Oh yeah, Studio One 3 looks pretty neat too, might have to try it out.

Logic Pro X on iMac. Very pleased with this setup. I use it and the AxeFX to track my guitar parts for my own bands, and for commercial 3rd party work. It's been powerful and stable .

Sonar on PC is my first choice. I've looked around at others, Studio One comes close but is missing things Sonar has. Other than those every other DAW had a completely different concept which I wasn't accustom to. Learning curve is easier on those two mentioned than others out there but that is just me. I guess whatever you start with becomes your personal standard which everything else ends up being compared to.

Lesson is pick a DAW and stick with it because any improvement you think you need will come from skill, not changing DAW. DAW simply provide the tools and they all allow plugins so really its about core function.

reaper user here, i prefer it because for my needs its on the same level as the bigger name DAWs while also being open source and constantly updated for free. a friend of mine is a cubase user and loathes it so ive always kind of stayed away from it haha

Back
Top Bottom