YOUR preferred country style amps

Hey guys,

First off, I am aware that everyone uses a plethora of different real and simulated amps to fit the many tones of classic and modern country based on personal preference. That being stated, I wanted to ask everyone:

On the AX8, for guys who are versed in country music, what amps have you chosen for your tones? I recently joined a local country/southern rock artist's group and to be honest, I have some learning to do in order to be idiomatic in this genre. I've settled on my Gibson ES-335 for this group as the group has liked it the most, so I'm trying to get some "twang" or slight chunk/edge-of-breakup type sounds reminiscent of a tele and some of those lead tones the Nashville guys get. I'm fine with getting the more "rock" tones used in modern country.

I'm also aware that a lot of this sound is in the technique (lest someone notify me as sometimes happens, ha ha), but I know some amps are preferred for this. My 335 can cover LOTS of ground. A couple of sounds I'd reference as a starting point for us would be the rhythm guitar sounds on the songs "Dust On The Bottle" by David Lee Murphy and "Chattahoochee" by Alan Jackson. I appreciate your help, guys!

little of both. it was def edge of breakup so i could dig in and get some grit. but i also used drives extensively. i could cover most of a 70 song set with that amp and drives.
Did you use the matching cab for this amp or did you use an impulse response, I think that's a great idea to treat the unit as pedalboard using one amp, would you have alot of overdrive set up or different scenes

I change alot but I went from that keith urban amp, to a ac30, to a morgan ac20 to the ac15 right now i think. Im like the most un country guitar player playing country aside from the guys who make more money than me at it but alot of people say they like my sound. I dont go super compressed and i keep it pretty dirty.

Deluxe Tweed has been my "go to for country" amp as of late - crank it up or roll off volume for clean - very versatile. Hit it with a slight OD for leads if you want. Simple.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I definitely am going to try the Keith Urban amp. I love his sounds and I bet my 335 would go great with it. I'll actually have time to just get tones ready tonight.

By the way; we are playing at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota next weekend! Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ozzy, and a few others are playing at this so I REEEEALLY gotta bring the A game!!

Thanks for the responses, guys. I definitely am going to try the Keith Urban amp. I love his sounds and I bet my 335 would go great with it. I'll actually have time to just get tones ready tonight.

By the way; we are playing at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota next weekend! Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ozzy, and a few others are playing at this so I REEEEALLY gotta bring the A game!!

5F8 Tweed with the matching 2x12 Double Amp KSM313 cab is a solid starting point. It's got that twang without splitting ears and looser low end which sounds fantastic set at the edge of breakup, super snappy when chicken picking. Works really well with some of the AX8 virtual dirt pedals as well. Can't remember if I'm using the 3 knob tube driver or Zen Master. I'll have to look tonight.

Can't go wrong with the Deluxe Tweed...check out the Div/13 CJ as well. It's along the same lines but a little cleaner. Both work well with your volume knob as well.

Definitly throw some comp in there...I don't use drive pedals much, but I like some PEQ to push the amps more. My PEQ settings is tailored to more of a throaty/growly mid boost, but you could dial in some edgy mids in there for country.

What am I saying...I don't play country. Sometimes...just sometimes I feel that worship music can be in the same vein as some country stuff.

Did you use the matching cab for this amp or did you use an impulse response, I think that's a great idea to treat the unit as pedalboard using one amp, would you have alot of overdrive set up or different scenes
i don't vibe with any of the stock ir's for that amp, at all. i use ownhammer stuff, almost always an alnico gold or silver, sometimes mixed with a blue or greenback of some sort.

I really like Larry Mitchell's Morgan Amp patch that he shared. I would call it a bit more "modern country". Not quite as twangy, but I like it.

Have this same issue. I have a 52 tele and I am looking for that twang sounding amp. I use the Keith Urban and tweeds a lot but his sound is a total different sound from Brad Paisley & Brent Mason chicken picking type tones. I would love to find a amp and cab good for that. Have tried DC30 and Dr.Z definitely could use some help if anyone has any patches or suggestions.

Have this same issue. I have a 52 tele and I am looking for that twang sounding amp. I use the Keith Urban and tweeds a lot but his sound is a total different sound from Brad Paisley & Brent Mason chicken picking type tones. I would love to find a amp and cab good for that. Have tried DC30 and Dr.Z definitely could use some help if anyone has any patches or suggestions.

I've got a Dr. Z Zwreck clone @ home (I'll never part with it) but the Comet Concourse gets pretty close to my amp...Brad Paisley plays through one (or used to...youtube it).

Back
Top Bottom