Your Pickup and Input Level

EBMM JP BFR7 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab Bridge, DiMarzio LiquiFire Neck). Right now set at 18% but usually around 30%. "Tickling" the red on a four LED meter is a bit unscientific. I've never looked at the input meters. I'll have to try that. When I plug in my bass I turn it up to 100% and still don't clip unless I'm playing very hard which I don't normally do.

BKP juggernauts
input: 70%-98%

i don't "tickle the red" instead i tickle the clip instead -___- still can't figure it out. All i know is that i can only reach the orange LED's and that's it

Dimarzio Evolution Bridge (awesome pickup!): ~30% EMG-808: ~60% Ibanez 5str bass active stock: >70% For me, the actives require the most "help". I typically just leave everything at 40% and forget to change it. :)

Interesting topic.. Although I would imagine p/u height will effect level as well.

HSS Strat with the Fralin Vintage Hot & a Fralin PAF 10k Humbucker and I can go to about 90% safely but I run it around 80%.

I should probably run it at max but IMO I honestly don't really hear much of a difference where ever I set the Input Level. I think I remember it being a little weak and lost some oomph when it was way way low, like 10%, but other than that extreme setting I don't really hear a ton of difference even down to like 40%.
Maybe I'll revisit that later on and see if I hear more now, now that I've had the unit for a little while and I'm a lot more well versed & educated with this "magic box of superiorness."

Yes P.U. Height affects it. I run LP Axess w/ Motor City Detroiters 30-31% , Strat w/ Fralin Vintage Hot , around 70%, but usually just leave it at LP setting. Floyd Rose strat w/ Dimarzio 36th anniversary / 2 Area 57 singles - 36.5 % .

I had adjusted mine for the first time and thought it might be fun for us and others to woodshed our common experience and think or rethink if necessary...

You mean the input level on the I/O screen?

It's about 19%. I set it for the highest-output instruments and leave it.

Those instruments are Steinbergers with EMG 89 and 81tw, a Les Paul with a Super Distortion, a Jackson Soloist with a Tone Zone, and an Iceman with a D-Activator. I pretty much run all my guitars with the bridge pickup a little more than 1/8 inch from the strings, sometimes a bit less.

Last edited:
I usually play pretty hard so on the instrument input that value is @ 10% using a variety of guitars, Les Paul with Gibson pickup, Ibanez with IBZUSAs, Ibanez with D-sonic/Liquifire direct mount, PRS SE with stock pickups. I make sure none of them clip and don't really worry about tickling the red. I was always told to use lower input gain with 24/48 because of the lower noise floor and leaving enough dynamic range, so usually I'm just lighting up yellow at peaks. I'm finding less gain helps with pretty much everything.

I should probably run it at max but IMO I honestly don't really hear much of a difference where ever I set the Input Level.
This has nothing to do with the analog input of the Axe-fx. This only determines how hard you hit the AD/DA converters so you get the best signal to noise ratio.
Short explanation, you CANT hear a different because there isn't one.
RTFM/Wiki guys. :)

Back
Top Bottom