Your help required please

Saturn

Hi

I've only just signed up to ask a question. If this goes well, I plan to be on here regularly.

I love the AX8 sounds and was desperate to buy one once I could afford it. I now can. However, a few people/reviews have said that despite the stellar clips posted on the net that they struggled to get a good sound. 'Needing a science degree'...'professor in Maths'... etc etc... you know the thing.

I am not very good with soundcraft : knowing EQ tricks, or clipping, or gain staging and the like, so I thought I would buy the Fremen AX8 pack - some AMAZING sounds on there that I would love.

So, my question is this - if I do that, how much tweaking will be required (minutes? hours? days?) to make the Fremen sounds come out of my set up* almost, if not as good as, they sound on his site?

Thank you all - I am hoping that I am about to become part of the Fractal gang.

* Musicman Silhouette guitar into AX8 (hopefully) into Dynacord mixer desk and out through powered PA speakers (RCF 12" Woofer and 90 x 60, Wide dispersion constant directivity horn)

I guess it depends on an unknown factor...what are you like?
Personally, I found there to be many, many stock presets that need absolutely no fudging with.
I've never bought any aftermarket presets as I don't need them.
In fact I use the Dirty Shirley stock preset as my #1 sound...but... I use a CLR which I believe is responsible for allowing all the FAS magic to be reproduced with no artifacts...which allows me to like the majority of the presets as they are.
Will you have that same experience?...unknown.

Thanks for reply. What am I like? Now there's a question.

Just looked up CLR. (New to all this) I suppose FRFR can never be exactly the same for everyone.

Yeah, I guess I am asking (and hoping) that people are going to say, that there are minor tweaks and not to listen to the naysayers.

I'm with RLD here. The presets it comes with are great, and completely adequate for lots of straightforward music. If you decide you need to have some certain effects added, then take one of those initial presets, save it as a new patch, and add whatever you want. Experiment!

Honestly the amount of tweaking possible via the software is massive, and leaves many folks' heads spinning (including me). But just because it's POSSIBLE doesn't mean it's MANDATORY. Many people here don't even mess with advanced settings, because FAS has them preset at spots that make sense and sound good. I think a few years ago tweaking may have been needed more but that need has diminished over time as the software matured. I wasn't around here back then though, so I can't really speak to it.

Good luck!

All depends on if you have experience tweaking stuff, like pods, or other processors.. all that will help. Lots of variables.

if you have experience with real tube amps, then it is exactly like dialing in those amps. if you don't, then there is a little to learn about how real amp controls work. and i'm only talking basic settings - bass mid treble gain etc.

i rarely, if ever, touch the Advanced amp controls. people always say "you need to adjust ALL of those" and that really isn't true at all. it's there so they WANT to touch everything.

usually the answer to "how do i make this amp type do this?" is to chose a different amp. over 200 types, you can find one that has the qualities you're looking for, rather than changing advanced parameters to make a Mesa Boogie do what a Marshall does naturally.

The factory presets range from okay to stellar, depending on your musical preferences, your guitar and your outboard gear.

For some of the deeper tweaks, you need to have some knowledge. Likewise, if you're going to whip out a soldering iron and modify a real amp, you better know what you're doing. But you don't need to make those deeper tweaks to get a wonderful sound.

If you're looking for a piece of gear that no one ever said anything bad about, that ain't gonna happen. Ever. Beyond a certain point, gear reviews are worthless.

If you have the means, get one. You have two weeks to decide whether it's for you. And that will mean more to you than having a hundred people tell you whether you'll like it.

I agree, great machine, you'll love it. Operating the basics is a piece-o-cake, right from the knobs on top.
If you feel like experimenting, play around. If you don't like the change, don't save it. If you do, you're on your way to being an expert tone-tweeker! No soldering iron necessary.

Simply.. you'll get out of it what you put into it. THAT.

Spend the time, play around with the stock presets, download other user presets from the exchange etc etc and mess around with them. Learn what goes before the amp and after the amp. Understand how you can do stereo, wet-dry-wet etc (maybe.. if that's your thing..) and by all means experiment with going FRFR or using it with a real amp in 4CM or just with a power amp. The options are endless.

We all have those 'aha' moments and the good thing with the Fractal gear is, you don't have one or two aha moments, you'll have plenty.

Oh.. and if you don't end up liking it due to whatever reason, AX8s really retain their value so you'll be able to sell it quickly and still get decent coin for it.......... but you won't.. you'll keep it.

Good luck with the journey.

I would hold off buying presets until you try out the factory, and even better try just make your own with a simple amp and cab. I've found using other people's presets, including the factory ines, is hit and miss due to differences in guitars and monitoring systems. They just never sound like the audio clips for me. I would pick an amp you're familiar with, look up Yeks guide for tips on which IR to use for your cab, add some high and low cuts in your cab block, tweak the amp to taste and see where that gets you. Then hit the forum to solve any problem areas you may want to improve. After this then try out some other presets and you will understand them better.

i bought the fremen presets and all i can tell you they sound great without any tweaking,of course if you want to tweak the fremen presets is up to you.

I'm in central Florida, if you are close you are welcomed to test drive mine. If not there maybe some one in your area that will let you demo a unit.

Wow - thank you all so much. That's it - I'm gonna get one today.

Paranoid - thank you for the lovely offer, but I live in the UK.

2 more questions:

What/where is 'Yek's guide' ?

and,

Is there a 'Beginner's how to start page' with tips for initial start up, global settings etc etc ?

Again - thank you all. If this typical of how helpful it usually is, I will be here very often. And maybe one day, I'll able to help other beginners.

G'day Saturn,

With good monitoring (and this is really important - your monitors whether they are headphones, speakers, or some FRFR solution) you should be able to drop an amp block, a cab block, and a reverb onto a blank preset - and it'll sound pretty close to the real deal.

You can tweak heaps - but you can also just adjust the gain, treble, etc like a real amp and just play.

This version of firmware is so good that deep parameters really don't need messing with. You still can of course - and many of us do, but you'll find it unnecessary.

The only thing you will wish, is that you got it sooner - Really! I'm happy for you because you're going to have a ball. Just make sure your speakers are really really good.

Tyhanks
Pauly

Hi

I've only just signed up to ask a question. If this goes well, I plan to be on here regularly.

I love the AX8 sounds and was desperate to buy one once I could afford it. I now can. However, a few people/reviews have said that despite the stellar clips posted on the net that they struggled to get a good sound. 'Needing a science degree'...'professor in Maths'... etc etc... you know the thing.

I am not very good with soundcraft : knowing EQ tricks, or clipping, or gain staging and the like, so I thought I would buy the Fremen AX8 pack - some AMAZING sounds on there that I would love.

So, my question is this - if I do that, how much tweaking will be required (minutes? hours? days?) to make the Fremen sounds come out of my set up* almost, if not as good as, they sound on his site?

* Musicman Silhouette guitar into AX8 (hopefully) into Dynacord mixer desk and out through powered PA speakers (RCF 12" Woofer and 90 x 60, Wide dispersion constant directivity horn)

Hi

I personally feel that the chatter about the Fractal units being so complicated and difficult to use is overstated. I've had other modelers through the years and would spend a LOT of time trying to make them sound good until I ended up just selling them because for me they just wouldn't get there. With the AX8, I plugged it in and started playing. The factory presets are actually usable and also a great place to start to see how things work (like with AX-Edit). You CAN spend a lot of time tweaking if you want...but the great thing is you don't HAVE to. There are plenty of guys out here that are very good at making presets, not to mention offering their help if you have questions.

My biggest problem with the AX8, and not to be corny, but is that I mainly play in cover bands and when I sit down to learn songs, I end up just playing because I love how it sounds - which then distracts me from actually doing the work I need to do on the songs. I still stand by my statement of the AX8 being the best piece of gear I've bought in 10 years if not more.

And to your point about not being good with EQ and stuff - I'm not either - but I've learned a TON of stuff from this forum - just little tips and tricks that really make a difference.

Anyway - I guess I sounds like a total FAS fanboy (I mean, I am but still, maybe I should reel it in a little hahahha). but honestly, I can't see people NOT being able to get the tones they are looking for.

Thank for listening to this non-remunerated infomercial. lol

BC

The AX8 is the most complicated piece of equipment I have ever owned. It took me a while to get my presets setup for my band. For me the biggest problems have been:

1. Setting levels, so that if you go from clea to dirty, you are not going from quiet to screaming loud
2. Using scenes vs instant access buttons or multiple preset changes
3. Getting the right amp\gain\eq that works in the mix with my band

I would say, you need to find some time to go thru the manual and figure out how to edit settings, and start making some cool tones!

Man, how well I understand you... I faced the same feeling - I bought something very expensive and can't get good sound out of it... I felt very stupid after all....
Actually this is company specific approach (fractal) - it is done by engineers first place and guitar players second. But be not afraid. You'll be fine!
I first stuck in analysis paralysis mode, tried to move every parameter and understand how it change the sound. Got to conclusion that this leading me to deeper despair.
Finally I choose following approach, like in real life:
- choose the amp + cab you like.
- add effects you need
- adjust anything only to solve specific issue or achieve specific target
That's it. It is great sounding device and it is its main benefit. All the adjustments actually paling agains it, makes it looks complicated than it is. You don't have to to move all the control knobs, leave them alone. Spent your time rather playing you axe.
Additional advice:
if your effects sound like sh@t - download good presets from exchange, copy specific effect settings to your rig and bum - you got it.
Recently one of guys made great job - he created parches with all available amps and only amps (about 700) - it's worth to spend some buck, buy it and use as starting point.
Finally it get me about a year to understand how to use it for band/recording/gigging environment considering that I spent no more than 1 hour bi-weekly to deal with AX8 specifically, including youtube video watching, so about 25-30 hours in total. I also read manual in hard copy (before fall a sleep). Initially I thought manuals are for p@ssies, but finally just read it as a book without interest to particular topic - that helped a lot to gain specific vocabulary and comprehend conceptions behind the unit.

Last edited:
The Ax has some deep editing available that can mess you up if you dive to deep and don't know what you are doing. With that said I have never had to deep dive to get tone that I and everyone around me is very happy with. IMO the real learning curve is to your ears if you decide to go direct to FOH and you start using an FRFR speaker. Guitar players are used to the sound of their cab in a room reacting with everything around them and the AX does not do that. I very quickly changed my thinking to that of hearing my sound through a PA the way the crowd would hear it. It saved me tones of headaches and has kept me happy. I don't even use EQs besides what the amp has. I use the hi/lo cut in the cab block and that is the only thing I do that is outside of normal guitar rig operations

Back
Top Bottom