Your go-to high gain amp?

Herbie engl don’t sleep on carvin! Recto red. Triaxis yellow lead. Fryete is a mmmmonster. 5153 red.

Thanks. I don't mean to drag this on , but to be clear , you meant REALLY low - like .25 and .50 - as you said , and not 2.5 and 5.0 , right ?

Without speaking for him, this sort of setting would align with the way that many many (a majority?) Of high gain players use a drive pedal. Both with traditional pedal rigs and with anything like an axefx or a pod. Keep the drive low (like 0 to .5 maybe 1) and run the level up as high as 10. Use the high/low cuts to your advantage for tone sculpting, it's basically pre-eq and set the tone to taste.

Personally I've been digging the FAS drive with drive 0, level around 8, low cut at 250-400hz and high cut at 800hz. This is running through a solid state amp and traditional cab though, might make a difference.

Last edited:
Do you have that preset uploaded? Curious about your boost and Mark settings. I'm pretty sure it was your thread/video that I used once to set up a mark preset, but I gave up on it a while back and am kind of wanting to try again. Just hate trying to get those models tweaked hahaha

Do you have that preset uploaded? Curious about your boost and Mark settings. I'm pretty sure it was your thread/video that I used once to set up a mark preset, but I gave up on it a while back and am kind of wanting to try again. Just hate trying to get those models tweaked hahaha

They're very picky about guitars/pickups/cab choice so you'll have to fine tune it to taste; try it with the free 212 IR Justin YorY posted in the user cabs section .

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5913

Sweet thanks, I'll give it a go. I don't do too much with IR's, 95% of the time I run through a matrix amp with traditional cabs.

Edit: can't test at real volume until at least tomorrow, but at bedroom levels this sounds pretty great with just a small bit of adjustment. Definitely gives a preset that gives a fair representation of a Mesa model to compare against the other amps I'm auditioning currently. Thanks Leon

Last edited:
Sweet thanks, I'll give it a go. I don't do too much with IR's, 95% of the time I run through a matrix amp with traditional cabs.

Cool, I've found it helps to run a low pass filter around 10k (12dB/octave) after a three amp when using a traditional cab to dial out harsh highs. Let me know how you go anyway.

Just curious, what are the "Klon settings"?

I used the wiki and the @austinbuddy settings (see pics) as a starting point and then compared with my Anarchy Audio Workhorse settings (Klone I used with my traditional rig) and ended up with these;

FET BOOST
Drive = 2
Tone = 6-9 (to taste depending on the amp)
Level = 10
Mid = +1dB
Clip Type = Silicon
Low Cut = 120hz
High Cut = 6500hz

It's more aggressive than a clean boost so you can dial back the level and tone to your own taste. Likewise with the low cut.

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 9.01.46 pm.png Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 9.00.47 pm.png

Back
Top Bottom