Your first guitar & amp

Kramer single angled HB Striker, Fender Super Reverb (grandfathers amp), american metal distortion pedla by dod. that was the rig...

(ironically enough, i did obtain a Peavey Bandit a couple of years later....)

Wow. You guys all had such good first guitars and amps.
I had a 3/4 size acoustic with palm trees on it - you know, like from Sears or something.
My first electric was also a 'Sears' type guitar with weak, noisy, 'microphonic' pickups. The amp was a little bigger than a mandarin orange box, and had one or two knobs, and a 6" speaker.

A 'Rockson' Strat copy and a Torque T50L solid state combo out of which Not a crumb of tone could be squeezed.

First guitar, a Goya small bodied full scale acoustic. First electric, a Hagstrom I (also called the 'Kent'). I still have the neck, though it's now part of a fretless guitar. The amazing bright red plastic covered, pushbutton-strewn body was stolen. Amp... I think it was my Princeton, which I still have.

My first guitar was a 1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom ( Triple Pickup / Black Beauty ) - Just like Peter Framption's .... I had an aunt that worked for Gibson in Kalamazoo and got it w/ her employee's discount ( $ 426.00 ) .... Years later I hacked it up by adding a Kahler tremolo ....

Man I wish I still had that guitar !

My first amp was un-remarkable .... It was a Peavey Pacer ( I think ).

Last edited:
My absolute first guitar was a POS Romanian Classical guitar.

I then graduated to a Samick Electric and had a very small Marshall one channel I don't know what.

My first guitar was a "Global" student size acoustic; still have it.

My first electric guitar was a Lotus Les Paul copy; it came with a 'Gremlin' "amp" (which is in quotes because it was hardly an amp by any measure).

I saved up to buy a Peavey Studio Pro 40 and then moved to a Peavey Bandit 65 like many above on this thread. The 80's!!!!! :D

First guitar: Kalamazoo KG-2 (red); First amp: Sears Silvertone 1484 Twin Twelve Amp...
[h=1][/h]

First guitar - Cort boat anchor that was red and had racing stripes. While the guitar was nothing special it was way better than the amp.

First amp - Crate SS that was probably about 15W and sounded god-awful. Sounded like mounting the world's cheapest speaker in a shoebox and then putting it underwater. Spent years trying different pedals and other effects to try to make it sound better. Surprisingly, adding low-quality effects to the world's worst guitar tone didn't help :lol

Last edited:
First acoustic - Kay student sized acoustic. Still have it, broken saddle and all.

First electric - Hohner Les Paul copy that I replaced the stock PUPs with a DiMarzio Dual Sound and DiMarzio PAF.

First amp - Peavey Backstage 30 and an Electro Harmonix Muff Fuzz that plugged directly into the input jack of the amp - no 1/4" output for a patch cable! Later upgraded to an MXR Dist. Plus.

1968 Telecaster I bought for $35.00 (1977 dollars). Needed a new bridge and bridge pickup, which cost me another $75 if I remember correctly. Piece of shit Zap practice amp.

60's Teisco Del Ray hollow body with a 60's Fender Champ. My folks bought it through an ad in the paper around 1980. They couldn't have paid much for it, knowing them. I don't have the guitar any more, but I do have one like it. I do still have the amp. That's not going anywhere.

As cool as the guitar and amp were, it was hard pulling off Van Halen licks with it. :)

First guitar had a short story.
The evil older kid next door asked me what I got for Christmas when I was 10 (he was ~ 13), we had the best Christmas and received a mountain of gifts. He spun a lie, saying "Didn't you get your guitar?" "Your parents where hiding it at our house, I guess they're going to give it to you after Christmas dinner?" He planted an evil seed.
After dinner I cried "Where's my guitar??" My parents we shocked, I never asked for a guitar, what the hell?

Around March that year my parents bought me a used electric Sears Silvertone guitar and said it was my early birthday present. I was confused "what's this for?"
An amp didn't come into play until a year later, I just played it without an amp. My first amp was some solid state volume bass treble basic thing.

1987 Fender Strat MIJ, still have
Peavey Bandit 112, still have
Boss HM Pedal, dont have anymore

I later rigged some a pair of 2x10 Radio Shack stereo speakers to the Peavey which sounded so cool at the time. Thinking back, I wonder now if that was the poor mans FRFR and never knew it lol.

Back
Top Bottom