Your first guitar & amp

Philip34

Experienced
With the recent nostalgia threads, I was reminded of my 1st guitar & amp: a Peavey Raptor (strat style) and a Peavey Rage amp (15w solid state) for Xmas at 14 yrs old- cheap stuff, but that's what I cut my teeth on.

What were your first?

B.C. Rich International (Strat shaped single humbucker guitar. Swapped out the original pickup for a Seymour Duncan Invader) with a Peavey Audition 20. I miss the guitar sometimes, but not the amp. LOL

Gibson 1966 Sunburst Melody Maker and a Gibson Hawk Amp! And a Gibson Fuzztone pedal!

Last edited:
MIM Squier Strat. Dark green with a humbucker in the bridge. Matching Squier Amp. Pretty cool guitar actually.

My first guitar was a cheap Yamaha acoustic, with high action. Then, I inherited my dad's 1970 Guild F50, Louise. Love her!

My first electric was from a Sears catalog. Horrible POS! Don't remember my first amp. It was just that bad... LOL!

My first good electric was a 1985 Guild S280/291 Flyer. Sold it this past year.

My first guitar was a Polish department store Les Paul "knock off". I use the term loosely because it was a flattop plank of crap...boy was it a turd.

And the first amp was this little Dean Markley thing with a 10" speaker. Solid state. Sounded like arse.

Super low end Ibanez and a Peavey Bandit. First REAL guitar and amp were a Charvel Model 6 and a JCM 900 combo. I still miss the Charvel sometimes. Got a job at the local supermarket to save for it and everything...

Washburn Raven guitar, "reasonable" ok. Amp was a SS shite, might been Traynor, Peavey or something like that. Later I got a Marshall tube combo for my 15th birthday from my father, bless his soul

First guitar was a Kay SG. Action a mile high, tone of a dying walrus with a quilt over it's head... played that thing until my fingers bled and loved every minute of it.

First amp brand eludes me, but it was a crap SS bare bones simple black box. But with my Maestro Fuzz in front it sounded like heaven.

A no name brand guitar with an integrated amp/speaker near the cutaway!! First amp was a little Traynor solidstate combo. That was like 25 years ago...damn!!!!

Super low end Ibanez and a Peavey Bandit. First REAL guitar and amp were a Charvel Model 6 and a JCM 900 combo. I still miss the Charvel sometimes. Got a job at the local supermarket to save for it and everything...
Those Peavey Bandit were so popular back in the days. Everyone I knew who played guitar had one. If one kid's parents had money, he would not have a Marshall stack, but a Peavy bandit strereo chorus combo...and we were dreaming of having one too....funny thoughts!!!

Hondo Strat copy and a battery operated amp that sounded terrible. The hondo was good enough to learn Smoke on the Water with. But, that amp had to go, it must have had a 4 inch speaker in it.

yes, everybody had a Peavey Bandit. I upgraded to a Peavey Studio Pro. The great thing about those were, they were practically indestructible.

My first guitar that I played was a black Memphis Les Paul copy that I bought from a friend at school. It came with 2 DiMarzios in it - the pickups were worth more than I paid for it ($100!).

First amp was a Gorilla 15 or 20 watt SS, that had a "tube drive" or some such switch on it... It wasn't horrible.

dean markley 15 watt solid state combo with a 10" speaker, no distortion and a Hondo black/white strat copy. grateful for what they were, but glad to have moved on. :)

Hohner Rockwood Strat Copy (Real Crap) and a Samick 15 Watt Solid State Combo... Wanted to Play Metal, so I Cut a hole with a hot Stanley Knife for a cheap "Select by EMG" Humbucker into the Pickguard to replace the Single coil Bridge Pickup....Didn't Sound that much better then...

Hohner acoustic with a high action, and graduated soon after to my dads Eko 12 string. Learned how to play metal on that so my arm was like a machine gun... needlessly.

My first electric was a Hohner Rockwood Les Paul copy. The neck was like something Robin Hood could use, but it did the trick.

My first amp was my dad's 1960s Vox AC15 head through a Binson full range 8x12" cabinet. First proper guitar speaker was part of my next amp, an AC30 combo.

My first guitar and bass was a Silvertone ES-335 copy my brother learned on, whose pickups were mounted in such a way that frets 13 through 22 were unplayable. The strings hit the neck pickup at that point and the only way to lower the pickup was cut a hole in the body with the odd mounting method (something I dared not do).

My first amps were a Peavey TNT 130 bass amp with the 15" Black Widow speaker, and a 1960's Heathkit 15w tube amp that my brother built. He had some sort of Eminence 12" speaker that he never got around to making a cab for it so you just ran the speaker wire to it, laid the speaker back on the floor, and just rocked. The Heathkit was very Link Wray sounding with that set up.

The TNT 130 was really heavy in weight and was eventually fried from a lightning strike to the power pole outside my house, which happened to be while I was jamming. The strike fried the Radio Shack surge protector and the Peavey amp simultaneously.

Fun stuff.

My dad's old Gretsch New Yorker, with a DeArmond pickup screwed into it. Played it through my brand new Kalamazoo Model One amp. I wish I still had that amp. It did all right with a single EL84.

Last edited:
Fender squire Strat & Peavey Backstage amp,
GTR > vox Wah > green tube screamer pedal > amp
Shooooooot.
I made some noise with that set up.

Back
Top Bottom