Your favourite "out-of-the-box" preset.

pdup

Experienced
83 Squire Strat with SD Surf PU's.

Having raged through lots of downloaded presets I still can't leave the "Prometheus".
And with FW 13 it just floats and give that tactile feel playing that can get me up a whole night.

I know that musical taste - and especially a hang to "airy" sounds is very personal. But I get back to it most times when I just want to be laid back and love the "hang in there" tone.

You probably have other favourites. Would be great to have a little deeper thought of yours.

Much love
Peter
:encouragement:

I don't have any factory presets in the box. In fact, I only have the 15 I use live. That's it

Of course, with Fractal-Bot and Axe-Edit, they're all only a minute away anyway

Same here - unless this one was a keeper with some tweaking (killing the tailes).

But - we all start from the beginning emptying the cardboard-box.

Herbie 3, Brit JVM OD1, Bohemian Rhapsody, Recto Vintage, Elegant Gypsy, Bohemian Rhapsody, Ambient Guitar, Wrecker/Wrecked, Boutique Battle and many more. I revisited them after the the last couple of FW upgrades. On FW10 none seemed to work for me without a lot of changes. Now so many of them sound great.

If you like the ambient thing Velvet Sun is great for a track to thicken up the mix.

I love presets 155 "Screaming Meanie" and 166 "Albert's Lead". I also enjoy the 105 Ruby Rocket preset. It's weird, because I usually like heavy overdrive and a lot of delay and reverb...

Bank "C" 127 - Bypass

Just kidding... My "out of the box" favorite has always been Bank "A" 10 - Brit 800.

But at this point I really do go straight for "Bypass" and build them from scratch now that I have a better understanding of what works with my setup. The presets served their purpose, however, they really don’t showcase the real power of the unit handling different scenarios. I think a better job could be done putting this knowledge in a new user hands.

My suggestion would be to have the preset layout different...

e.g.

(just throwing a number out there) Say, 50 of the same presets but for different setups...
• Direct/FRFR
• 4CM
• Power Amp, Cab
• Fx Loop
• Guitar Amp
• Etc.

We all know "one size fits all" will never work... I think this preset "by setup" approach would server "new" users better than 350+ presets that use the same setup. Which is probably where some new users get frustrate with when the first plug in.

For example… I use the “Power Amp, Cab” method and for “me” the magic clear wasn’t there with the “out of the box” presets. After some tweaking I got it there, but it was by no means obvious when you first get the unit. Now that I know, I’m a very elated customer.

While I do agree there is no "sure thing" for everyone, I do think a preset "by setup" approach would get the masses there quicker with less frustration and serve as a great baseline.

I don’t know if it’s been mention before, but It’s just a thought.

I don't really use any of the stock presets, but with a light tweak to each of them I could easily play entire gigs on just the Tweed Deluxe, Dirty Shirley, Comet Concourse and Friedmann HBE presets

I played a fill in classic rock/oldies thing the other night.
Humbucker pickups.
I used the stock plexi treble.
Dialed the effects back for gig volume.
Trimmed the gain and level a hair, EQ boost in the amp block.
Played through a couple rcfnx12's.

Killer tone. Leads cut through like a knife.

No muss no fuss no stress, had a great time.

I don't really use any of the stock presets, but with a light tweak to each of them I could easily play entire gigs on just the Tweed Deluxe, Dirty Shirley, Comet Concourse and Friedmann HBE presets

I'm sitting here and wondering: Are you Nick Sterling, by any chance? Not sure why I'm making this connection, but something tells me that it might be you...

I'm sitting here and wondering: Are you Nick Sterling, by any chance? Not sure why I'm making this connection, but something tells me that it might be you...

It's not him, but regarding the Axe I think Rocket Brother finally found the love of a lifetime because it doesn't treat him bad!
Maybe that could be a clue :)

Play a carvin bolt with Andy Timmons pickups (AT1 & Cruisers). I do a lot of low volume playing at home, so I've really enjoyed the Dirty Shirly & ODS100 lead with the guitar volume down a bunch. I can play clean, turn it up a bit and get a little dirty and when the house is empty, all the way up. Nice variety and don't need a stomp box or anything. There are a few others like that as well, but I've been stuck on those for awhile.

Friedman HBE was my mainstay for months. It's waaaaay too bass and mid heavy, but the way it reacts to my playing was just... it was a match made in heaven, that's all I can say. It was worth it, I could hear the diamonds in the rough. I'm so thankful for the Axe Fx for this kind of thing- because honestly, I never would have even thought to play a Friedman in real life!

Back
Top Bottom